Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Thanks man. I think Misery Signals hiatus didn't do them any favors in terms of popularity, but they clearly have a somewhat strong following because they made a killing in crowdfunding to make Absent Light

Yeah, but it's not looking so good for them right now. The 49ers finally woke up and they are tearing shit up right now
Looks like you'll be 1 up on me and 2 up on ES156. Might come down to the Super Bowl!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Looks like you'll be 1 up on me and 2 up on ES156. Might come down to the Super Bowl!
Very well could be. Going to cross my fingers that the Chargers can pull off the upset against the Broncos so I can make up for this loss.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

10.Run the Jewels-Run the Jewels

Killer Mike and El-P were coming off a strong 2012 with their respective solo albums R.A.P Music and Cancer 4 Cure nabbing a ton of praise and putting them both back at the top of the underground hip-hop radar. 2013 proved to be even better as the two teamed up for a full-length album under the name Run the Jewels and released a 10-track, 33-minute hip-hop assault of straight bangers with absolutely no filler. The rapport between Killer Mike and El-P is truly special. Their styles are different as Killer Mike has a southern tinge while El-P veers into abstract territory, but compliment fit each other perfectly because of the intensity they both bring on the mic. I also loved the friendly competition vibe of the album. Mike and El-P are trying to top each other on each and every verse, which makes them both go even harder than usual, which makes for great listening and an awesome throwback to the days of battle raps. Run the Jewels has all the energy, pissed-off verses, grimy, electronic beats and lyrical brilliance that I expected from a Killer Mike and El-P collaboration.

Standout Tracks
1.Sea Legs
2.Get It
3.Run the Jewels

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

9.The Black Dahlia Murder-Everblack

My status as an avid Black Dahlia Murder fan is well-known across the board. They were responsible for getting me into extreme metal and have been my favorite of mine since I was 15. Their most recent slab of death metal ferocity, Everblack, is yet another high-quality release that continues their reign of terror on the world of heavy metal. Everblack is arguably the most evil material the band has ever produced. The horror-inspired lyrics are more grotesque than ever ("Phantom Limb Masturbation" makes 99% of Cannibal Corpse's lyrics tame by comparison) and some odd experimentation (the closing piano on "Every Rope a Noose", the eerie choir sample on "Their Beloved Absentee", the strings on "Into the Everblack") add to album's sinister feel. Matching the vile lyrics and creepy ambiance, is the pure heaviness of the music that successfully combines the chugging brutality of John Kampien-era material such as Nocturnal with the more technical, experimental side they explored on Ryan Knight-era stuff like Ritual. It's the perfect marriage of Knight and Brian Eschbach, who was the sole songwriter before Knight joined the band, on their second album working together. The aforementioned "Into the Everblack" and "Map of Scars" are two of the most straightforward pummeling tracks they've ever made yet there is a greater sense of melody and technicality than before. I also have to give props to new drummer Alan Cassidy and bassist Max Lavelle for effortlessly replacing long-time members drummer Shannon Lucas and bassist Bart Williams. The number of member changes they've had over the years has been daunting and could really put a toll on a band's chemistry, Black Dahlia Murder is just too strong and well-oiled of a machine thanks to founding members Escbach and vocalist Trevor Strnad to let that happen. Everblack doesn't quite live up to the heights of Ritual, but it's another memorable record that lives up to The Black Dahlia Murder's legacy of producing consistently impressive extreme metal records. Long live the immortals.

Standout Tracks
1.Every Rope a Noose
2.Map of Scars
3.Into the Everblack

Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

8.Hope for the Dying-Aletheia

No record I heard in 2013 fell more under-the-radar than Aletheia by Illinois metalcore act Hope for the Dying. Hope for the Dying isn't your typical metalcore as they make heavy use of acoustic guitars, keys and only implore clean vocals and breakdowns occasionally (and when they are used, they are used to perfection.) The keys have this old-school black metal tinged that give each song a grand atmosphere. They kind of remind of Between the Buried and Me since a lot of their songs are very long yet never dull due to frequent, well-executed tempo changes that sprawl across a number of genres. I was honestly disappointed that took me this long to find such a talented and adventurous young band that challenges the rules of progressive metalcore. If you dig bands like BTBAM, The Human Abstract and Misery Signals, check out Hope for the Dying immediately.

Standout Tracks
1.Acceptance
2.In Isolation
3.Iniquitous

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Really enjoyed this thread nig, great dedication!
Tough Mudder-10/26
Real Friends/Neck Deep?-11/7
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Really enjoyed this thread nig, great dedication!
Thanks a lot man.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 AM
N00B

I have really enjoyed your recap thread as well. Reminded me about a ton of releases I missed checking out - Death Angel, Conducting From the Grave, etc.

Great work!
04/24 - Nile
Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

7.Skeletonwitch-Serpents Unleashed

Upon first listen, Serpents Unleashed somewhat underwhelmed for whatever reason. After about four or five spins, I realized that I must have been asleep or having an out-of-body experience the first time I listened to it because Serpents Unleashed slays and is the best record Skeletonwitch has made since Beyond the Permafrost.

Serpents Unleashed further expands upon the melodic side that was introduced on their previous record Forever Abomination. Tracks like "Burned in Bone" and "More Cruel than Weak" have a huge old-school Gothenburg melodic death metal influence. It was cool to Skeletonwitch add a new element to their sound that goes against yet perfectly complements their thrash/black metal roots. This increased level of melody is counteracted by the fact that this is arguably the heaviest material they've done since Beyond the Permafrost. "Beneath Dead Leaves" and "From a Cloudless Sky" are flat-out evil even for a band like Skeletonwitch who has made a name off being one of the most diabolical-sounding bands in the heavy metal realm. When the music kicked in, I was fairly sure a portal to hell was going to open in my living room. I absolutely love the fact that they simultaneously got more mellow and heavy on the same record.

While Serpents Unleashed offers up the typical thrills of a Skeletonwitch album, the band refines their sound enough to keep it fresh. Producer Kurt Ballou makes this the cleanest sounding Skeletonwitch album to-date without sacrificing the band's naturally raw, sinister sound. Ballou seems to be the go-to producer for bands who have a rough signature sound, but want it to be polished up a bit. The fact that he's able to make a band like Skeletonwitch sound so clear without taking away the vile nature of their sound is exactly why he's one of my favorite producers in metal. It also helps that the band once again stepped their game up musically. Guitarists Nate Garnette and Scott Hendrick continue to improve at solowriting and unleash some of the most furious solos of their career so far throughout the album. It also impresses me that Chance Garnette remains such a fantastic vocalist after all these years. A majority of extreme-vocalist start to lose their edge at this point in their career, but Garnette hasn't lost even an ounce of bite from his trademark low-pitched growls and high-pitched shrieks. Skeletonwitch delivers the good once again on Serpents Unleashed and I hope their remarkable streak of consistency doesn't end any time soon.

Standout Tracks
1.Burned From Bone
2.From A Cloudless Sky
3.Beneath Dead Leaves

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

6.The Ocean-Pelagial

Pelagial sees The Ocean taking on a behemoth of a concept by making an album in which each song represents a different level of the ocean. The concept is daunting and complex and The Ocean make an album that is completely worthy of its rich concept.

Pelagial was originally supposed to be instrumental (the strictly instrumental version is the second disc of the album) which means The Ocean put more of a focus on complexity and experimentation in the music and the results are simply stunning. The Ocean have always had a lot of wide-ranging influences and layers to their music, but they've never created music that use these elements more chaotically or brilliantly than on Pelagial. The frequent tonal shifts this record has could've been jarring going from a soothing orchestral piece to an incredibly heavy sludge section on a whim, but none of it sounds forced or inorganic in the slightest. The Ocean are just fantastic songwriters and everything flows together incredibly well making for a truly special listening experience.

Though there are many different genres and tempo-changes on this record, I have to say that the sludge elements standout above the rest. The riffs are absolutely monstrous throughout the record. I'm an absolute sucker for a good sludge riff and Pelagial has an abundance of them. The Bathyalpelagic trilogy ("Impasses", "The Wish in Dreams", "Disequilibriated") had my jaw on the floor. The riff work is amazing and I was shocked at how heavy some of the portions were. Don't get me wrong, The Ocean have never strayed from having heavy sections in their music, but they've never had anything as skull-crushing as the Bathyalpelagic trilogy in the past.

The record also makes for the best vocal performance from Loic Rossetti to-date. Rossetti had been battling a slew of health problems during the initial writing process of this record (hence why the album was originally supposed to be instrumental.) But he clearly recovered for the recording process and he returned to the band with a vengeance. His clean vocals are more crisp and emotional than ever while his screams have a lot more power behind them. Overall Rossetti has improved substantially as a vocalist from Helio/Anthropocentric and his work here elevates the immense musical landscape the rest of the band provided in his absence. After so many years making solid records, Pelagial finally sees The Ocean taking their music to the next level by making the near-masterpiece I knew they had in them for all these years.

Standout Tracks
1.Bathyalpelagic I-III
2.Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny
3.Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe