Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Arrow Cable vs. Roku/Chromecast/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime etc.

I've been debating this stuff for a while now in my head. I just got a Chromecast for Christmas, I hooked it up and I'm really enjoying watching Youtube on this big screen. I'm upgrading devices soon to control it (phone, iPad) and I plan to get Netflix very soon to round it all out.

It's hard for me to think about ridding myself of some of the stuff I watch on cable like WWE Raw (on Hulu they give you an abridged version a few days later), and History Channel and a lot of live stuff...especially things I DVR. I'd hate to wait weeks or months just to watch some current show I could have with cable...but cable is so damn expensive and my bills are way too high.

What set-ups does everyone have? Pros/cons would be appreciated, because I'm going back and forth with what I should do. I need to watch shit like Pawn Stars and Masterchef and NFL/NHL/MLB Network and my wife needs to watch her Law & Order SVU and crap like that, so giving up cable is difficult.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 AM
N00B

The only thing I watch on broadcast television these days are sports. For that I have a tiny aerial mounted outside that I got at XS Cargo for less than $30. Picks up 20-25 channels which allows me to watch some hockey and basketball games. In New York something like this should allow you to pick up a good number of stations as well.

Otherwise I have a WDTV box that I stream content to from my NAS. It can stream just about any file type or size and supports Youtube, Netflix, etc. However I have let my Netflix lapse for a few months as I prefer 720/1080p+ content.

As for getting content I typically only have an hour or two delay from episode upload until it is automatically downloaded. Currently using Newsgroups + Sickbeard for searching and automatic download.
04/24 - Nile
Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I have netflix off my tv and then my computer is like 20 inches from my tv. No cable but remember you can watch ANYTHING off a computer.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

I have cable... only cable, but I rarely watch anything unless its the news in the morning, Seahawks game, WWE, and then the occasional other shows. Xbox has a YOuTube App, so I use that A LOT, can't beat YouTube on a big screen.

I have been tossing around getting Netflix, though. My girlfriend has Netflix and Amazon Prime, and OMG the stuff they have on there, so much nostalgia, could spend years watching all my favorite old shows.

As for watching anything on a computer, that dcmetal posted, I hate sitting at my computer for long periods of time. Even when recording music I find myself getting restless, looking at that small screen and just knowing its a computer . I'm weird.

For myself, It's really hard to think of life without cable... especially since a lot of streaming movies/videos are not the best quality...

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Amazon Prime obviously means something different there than here. Here it's next day delivery on all orders for an annual payment.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Amazon Prime obviously means something different there than here. Here it's next day delivery on all orders for an annual payment.
That's what it means here too (2-day shipping though). But along with your yearly subscription, you automatically get access to Amazon Prime Instant Videos, essentially free downloads for TV and movies.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
That's what it means here too (2-day shipping though). But along with your yearly subscription, you automatically get access to Amazon Prime Instant Videos, essentially free downloads for TV and movies.
Interesting. I don't think we even have that service here yet. But it's standard for Amazon to do things in the US first, then roll out across the rest of the network, usually starting with us.

I wonder if they'll add that to our service as well, or charge us extra.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I have Netflix and it's awesome, and I use my computer to stream some sports that I otherwise wouldn't pick up, but I also use my TV for ESPN stuff + a couple of TV shows.

What is Roku?
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Roku is an internet streaming box. Here's a really easy and fast FAQ on it. My sister has it, it's great. It's like having apps for your TV that are really TV channels.

http://community.qvc.com/blogs/elect...roku-faqs.aspx
Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I have cable... only cable, but I rarely watch anything unless its the news in the morning, Seahawks game, WWE, and then the occasional other shows. Xbox has a YOuTube App, so I use that A LOT, can't beat YouTube on a big screen.

I have been tossing around getting Netflix, though. My girlfriend has Netflix and Amazon Prime, and OMG the stuff they have on there, so much nostalgia, could spend years watching all my favorite old shows.

As for watching anything on a computer, that dcmetal posted, I hate sitting at my computer for long periods of time. Even when recording music I find myself getting restless, looking at that small screen and just knowing its a computer . I'm weird.

For myself, It's really hard to think of life without cable... especially since a lot of streaming movies/videos are not the best quality...
If you have a 24" LED screen with a big speaker set like me its just like a TV.