Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

300% Density,The Year That Was

Guess I ended up listening to alot more new music this year than I thought I did. I'm going to start w/ albums that I listened to that I either hated or it didn't quite make my Top 10.

American Head Charge - Shoot EP: I've loved these guys for so many years. Loved their Trepidation/War of Art albums, and The Feeding had a few good songs. I was just thrilled that they finally got their shit together and put something out. I like this but don't love it. It still has more of a Feeding feel to it than it does War of Art but I'm hopeful next year they will release a full length album.
Standout Tracks: Rock N Roll Nigger Sugars Of Someday

Chimaira - Crown of Phantoms: I've been a supporter of theirs for 10 years. The band is pretty much gutted, and if they keep releasing albums like this, they won't make it any longer. This sounds like the most uninspired album they've put out in their career, (this coming from someone who still enjoyed The Age of Hell they put out few years ago).
No Standout Tracks

Hatebreed - The Divinity of Purpose: Another one that is decent, but not great. Theirs a few songs I like but the rest is just kinda meh to me. It's a step up from their S/T but not by much. I think MPF said it already about this. If you're a big Hatebreed fan you'll love this, if you're not, this won't change your opinion.
Standout Track: Own Your World

Korn - Paradigm Shift: I'm still incredibly bummed out about how disappointing this turned out to be. Getting Head back should have been their kick in the ass and instead it's more of the same. Riffs are boring and uninteresting. Fieldy didn't hardly sound like he even played on this. Good or bad he has a distinctive bass sound and none of these bass lines sound like Korn. I've pretty much given up on Korn at this point.
Standout(ish) Track: Prey For Me

Megadeth - Super Collider: Really what else is there to say about this that hasn't been said already? Which sucks, after hearing Kingmaker I was really getting excited. I still think it's a great song, I finally warmed up to Dance In The Rain & Cold Sweat is a great cover. Everything else is just terrible.
Standout Track: Cold Sweat

Rob Zombie - Venemous Rat Regeneration Vendor: Easily the worst named album of 2013, hands down. I've kinda given up on Rob too. I'd still have to say it's a step up from Hellbilly Deluxe 2 (which sucked) but it's not saying alot. I would still say Teenage Nosferatu Pussy is the best thing he's done since the Educated Horses album. He said this was supposed to be more in the vein of the White Zombie years. Not even close Rob.
Standout Track: Teenage Nosferatu Pussy

Sepultura - The Mediator...Blah blah blah: Obviously Roots is an album that divides the Sepultura fanbase, I didn't know what to think of this w/ Ross Robinson doing this. I'm still a fan of Roots and I was thinking that hopefully this album would get them the momentum that they've been lacking since Max left. To me that answer would be a no. I was hoping for better but it's not. Songs are just boring, no memorable riffs. Just another post-Max album for Sepultrua.
Standout Track: None Really

Volbeat - Outlaws & Shady Ladies or something like that: Man this shit is awful. Their career in making quality music is downward sloping while their popularity is upward sloping. I don't get it, and I've given up trying to understand. But the positive side is the song w/ King Diamond is fantastic. It's too bad thats the only redeemable quality to this album. I'm finding myself hating their singers voice as much as I hate Eddie Vedder's voice.
Standout Track: Room 24

Hatriot - Heroes of Orgin: I've gotta say I found this to be not as good as I had hoped. I love the Souza-Exodus era and I figured this would probably be along those lines. To me it just sounds like b-sides off of Tempo Of The Damned.
Standout Track: Weapons Of Class Destruction

Warbeast - Destroy: I really loved Krush The Enemy alot. It was super catchy and super thrashy. This album has its moments but to me it seemed like it just fell a little flat of Krush.
Standout Track: War Of The World

Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood I wasn't the biggest fan of Relentless Retribution, to me this album kicks the hell out of it. This was a real tough call to leave it out of my Top 10.
Standout Track: Fallen

Deicide - In The Minds of Evil I really liked To Hell With God. To me this falls just barely under To Hell but really not by much. For me, I found the first half of the album alot stronger than the 2nd half. At the end of the day its a solid Deicide album. Their albums after Serpents have all been a little hit and miss but this album more than holds its own.
Standout Track: Godkill

I'm gonna cut this off for right now but hopefully I should be back either tonight or tomorrow to continue my honorable mention list and then get to my Top 10.

Last edited by 300%_Density; 12-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I might be the one person who truly loves the new Hatebreed but I'm also prolly the biggest Hatebreed fan on here.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Still continuing all the albums I listened to that did not make the cut:

Ghost - Infestissumam: This was another one that was close to making my Top 10. I really liked this album, truth be told I think I actually like it more than I do their 1st album which I haven't heard a ton of people say. For me I think my favorite track has to be Ghuleh/Zombie Queen, some of hated the novelty of the cover but their ABBA cover has got to be one of my favorite covers I've ever heard.
Standout Track: Ghuleh/Zombie Queen

Phil Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exit: Letdown imo. It's good to hear that Phil is back to actually doing some harsher vocals that he hasn't done in years but I just found this boring and alot of it sounds the same to me. There really isn't anything memorable to me on this album. It strikes me as the kind of album you might like in 2013 but by 2014 its already been used as a drink coaster. Too bad the better songs he did as a solo artist was on the split w/ Warbeast from earlier this year (or maybe last, I don't remember).
Standout Track: Not a damn thing

NIN - Hesitation Marks: Probably my #1 letdown this year. After not doing an album for awhile I might have had my hopes up too high. The last great thing I think they've done was Year Zero (which is my all time favorite NIN album) and the releases after that were sub par. This just didn't do much for me, the electronic aspect of this album reminded me more of Pretty Hate Machine and some of those other remix albums that were more electronic heavy as opposed to some of their less electronic material. I've tried several times to listen and try to like it and I just can't get into it. The keyboards and synths are just incredibly cheesy and lack the edge that earlier albums had. Maybe someday it'll catch on but atleast now it doesn't work for me.

Ministry - From Beer To Eternity: This is another album that I had huge hopes for that fell a little bit flat to me, but I've lightened up on in the last few months. First listen I was pissed, I absolutely hated it but gave it another shot. To me it has more of a Filth Pig feel to it which was one of my least favorite Ministry albums. The songs are longer and a little slower which I don't think works for Ministry as well as other bands. Hail To His Majesty & Thanx But No Thanx are the standout tracks for me as well as going back and doing another TV which is now TV4. Overall it seems very inconsistent even when compared to Relapse which I was surprised at how much I liked it. Kinda like the Hatebreed album, if you like Ministry then you'll probably like this, if you don't like Ministry this won't change your mind.
Standout Tracks: Thanx But No Thanx Hail To His Majesty

Motorhead - Aftershock: This was #11 for me and just barely had to leave it off which I might change my mind over time. This is one of the best albums they've put out since the 2000s. The last few albums usually had a few good songs and the rest was filler. This was not like those previous albums. You can tell that the extra time between this and The World Is Yours is noticeable. Fantastic mix of that classic Motorhead sound with Motorhead's take on the blues. Phil's solos are better than they've been in several albums. I really hope they get the chance to do alot of touring for this album. Hopefully if they do they will do more than 2 new songs like they seem to do when they tour for new albums. Get better Lemmy!!!!
Standout Tracks: Lost Woman Blues Going To Mexico

I'm going to call this good for tonight but should get to update this a little bit more for those who have been reading.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Digging the list and opinions, mang!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Got 3 more then it's top 10 time. I'll add the standout tracks when I'm not on my phone.

GWAR - Battle Maximus: I gotta say few months ago I probably would have thought a little higher of this album but it's fallen out of favor w/ me a little over the last few months. What I will say is I'm glad they got someone to replace Corey. Seeing them as a 4 piece was great to see them working through losing a friend and band mate but musically it didn't sound great. Corey's input was definitely lost on this as I think it's probably the weakest they've done in a few albums. Honestly it's still a GWAR album. It just feels like it's missing something the last few albums had.

Red Fang - Whales & Leeches: Red Fang just keeps on banging out quality albums. I really liked this album but I don't think I could say I loved it as much as Murder The Mountains but I could see myself loving it more as I listen to it. I think the top half of the album was a little stronger than the 2nd half is what kept this from making my list.

Soulfly - Savages: So there's a good amount of Soulfly/Max hate on here that is pretty fairly deserved. The last few albums for me have been 2-3 songs I love and the rest is meh. This album is the same way but the bright spots are bright IMO. My favorite (Clutch bias warning) is " Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla" yes the name is lame but a great song plus Neil is a guest vocalist, and he does some harsh vocals not seen since the Transnational days 20 years ago. K.C.S. is another highlight, this one w/ Mitch Harris of Napalm Death fame. Good song that has the Soulfly groove w/ the screams of a Napalm Death song. You should be noticing a pattern. Last song I enjoyed was El Comegente w/ Tony Campos sharing vocals & the song being done in Portuguese. It's a song that takes the Latin influences that Soulfly is known for with a fun jam session towards the end of the song. The common theme for Soulfly has always been the guests Max brings for his albums. It's not as strong as the surprisingly good Enslaved album but has a few tracks worth checking out.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM

#10: Suicidal Tendencies - 13

Well this is probably going to be the only "wtf were you thinking picking this album?" But I'll explain myself first. IMO this is the album that should have came out after Lights..Camera...Revolution. Everything after this came out has overall been a disappointment overall with a few random tracks I've enjoyed. I only wish Mike hadn't waited 13 years for an album. I hated another "13" album but it's been 13 studio albums, 13 year wait, 13 new songs so I get it but atleast makes sense. I know there's a gripe about how this current version of the band isn't up to par, after seeing them live I couldn't disagree more. Tons of energy, the bass is just as funky. Of course there's no Mike Clark or Rocky George but they fit in very well for them. If Mike chooses a better setlist & cut the talking down I don't think there'd be as much complaining.

Unfortunately the years of the thrashier ST are probably gone but this still has the mix of crossover/funk appeal that drew me into ST years ago. Shake It Out is a perfect opener for the album that sets the tone. Smash It is one of my favorite tracks on here, I saw originally there were skaters & Metal Mullisha guys who were on the track and feared the worst but they stay in the background and you can forget they are even in the song. I won't review every song on here. There's a good amount of hits and there's still a few misses. For those who like the funkier side of ST I'd suggest "Till My Last Breath" absolutely funky bass lines that they've always been known for. I still think the biggest highlight is "Slam City". It's a fun song that you can just imagine huge pits at a Suicidal show, (and there was) that's one of the things I love about ST is there's so many songs of theirs are just so fun to listen to and this is one that qualifies as fun with a fun chorus.

For any who have read the previous posts, yes I picked this (barely) over the new Motörhead. In all honesty, it came down to me just liking more songs than Aftershock. Maybe if it came out 6 months ago I'd feel different but as of now I'm putting 13 as my #10.

Standout Tracks: Slam City - Smash It

Last edited by 300%_Density; 12-22-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 PM

#9: Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

I've gotta say, atleast I was honest about this album. AIC was following up an album that I actually saw described as "the best comeback album since Back In Black". Very strong words & huge expectations. I'll be honest, this isn't as good as Black Gives Way To Blue but there's no way it could have been.

This album is actually a lot darker & moodier than BGWTB, which is surprising given the title and the fact that it was their first album since Layne. Hollow was the 1st song/single released and it took awhile to grow on me but I grew to like it. Then I heard Stone and it was mind blowing. When you think of AIC groove isn't a word that springs to mind but this song has it plus it's really one of the more simple riffs that I've heard on an AIC song. And I love the lyrics ("what makes you want to carve your initials in me?) as well. That is a new song that shouldn't ever leave the AIC setlist. There's more than just great singles, Phantom Limb (moody & sludgy) & Pretty Done (great haunting chorus). 2 songs that probably have been overshadowed by the big singles from the album, I absolutely despise Voices. Such a crappy made for radio song. Outside of that misstep, I wish they would have cut even 1 of the slow prodding songs on here. At 70 mins the album drags on in places. I love AIC when they strip down and do acoustic stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the slower stuff on here just really doesn't go anywhere. Uptempo stuff just absolutely carries this album. My only other slight complain is i got the feeling from listening to this that I did after hearin SOAD - Hypnotize years ago. I thought " why is Daron doing so much more & Serj doing so much less in the vocals"? Same thing here. Outside of the riffs, I associate the harmonizing between Jerry & Layne/William as what makes their sound so special. Jerry seems to have taken over the lions share of the vocals which I don't think works as well as when Jerry comes in and harmonizes w/ William/Layne.

As we all know, good hard rock albums are hard to find & usually not my thing but AIC are always going to be that exception that makes it ok to like a hard rock record. There's not too many left to enjoy anymore but this is one I feel should still be enjoyed. If you haven't listened to Stone, do it now and I dare you to not find it catchy and have it stick in your head.

Standout Track: Stone

Last edited by 300%_Density; 12-22-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:31 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I like your list so far. I'm with you on a lot. Korn was a big disappointment. Other than Prey For Me, the album flat out stinks. Considering Head is back, makes it even more disappointing.

Hatebreed was disappointing for me, as well. Yes it was better than their self titles effort, but not by much.

Deicide was solid, albeit basic. One of those albums that, to me at least, has nothing really outstanding, but you can listen to the whole album.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
NIN - Hesitation Marks: Probably my #1 letdown this year. After not doing an album for awhile I might have had my hopes up too high. The last great thing I think they've done was Year Zero (which is my all time favorite NIN album) and the releases after that were sub par. This just didn't do much for me, the electronic aspect of this album reminded me more of Pretty Hate Machine and some of those other remix albums that were more electronic heavy as opposed to some of their less electronic material. I've tried several times to listen and try to like it and I just can't get into it. The keyboards and synths are just incredibly cheesy and lack the edge that earlier albums had. Maybe someday it'll catch on but atleast now it doesn't work for me.
I've got to disagree with you on this one, but I know exactly why I liked it and you didn't. I agree it sounds a lot like "Pretty Hate Machine", and to you that's a bad thing and to me that's the best thing ever. PHM is one of my favorite albums of all time, and in any genre.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I've got to disagree with you on this one, but I know exactly why I liked it and you didn't. I agree it sounds a lot like "Pretty Hate Machine", and to you that's a bad thing and to me that's the best thing ever. PHM is one of my favorite albums of all time, and in any genre.
Yea I think I remember seeing you disagree with me when I made the comment when it came out. Like some albums I might give it 6 months or so and try it again. Abrasive is how I generally like NIN. The album is a lot of things and as we both know it's not that abrasive.