Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Top 5 Live Bands of 2013

Unlike last year, this was somewhat lacking on shows... at least for quantity... but quality wise... , 2013 was AMAZING. I would like to touch on two honorable mentions that just barely missed out on my top 5...

GOJIRA and TOMAHAWK.

Gojira was just stunning, but I could not see their whole show as it was running late. SO HEAVY, and I am not even a fan of theirs.

Tomahawk was so great. I have never seen Mike Patton live, so I was stoked. I think their show was lacking a bit since he didn't have all the "analog" effects, and just used everything through his computer, but still a great show.

Now for the real shit.........

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

5. Metsatoll - November 21 - El Corazon

*not from Seattle show*

Metsatoll... what else is there to say? Their performance on the Finntroll tour was SUPERB. And even though the sound was absolutely terrible and the guitars were almost completely silent, their energy and power they delivered was like nothing I have ever witnessed before.

My band opened for them back on the Korpiklaani tour last year, but they went on directly after us, so I was forced to miss them due to loading up and getting dinner, so I was bummed, but when I found out they were on this tour I was STOKED. They stole the show, IMHO, but Finntroll was right there with them, so I guess they are a good honorable mention as well.

Sorry if this review is lacking, I am not a major fan of them, or knowledgeable of their material, but damn, if you get a chance to see them, go. They ended their set with a powerful chant which hypnotized everyone in the crowd and made for a great ending to their night.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-29-2013, 04:04 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

4. Trollfest - April 5 - Studio 7

*not from Seattle show*

Who the fuck is this band and why are they dressed up like bumblebees? What the fuck are they doing? Why do the vocals sound so crappy? Wh....... HOLY SHIT THIS BAND IS AWESOME!!!! This was pretty much my reaction when Trollfest took the stage at Paganfest this year. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had never heard much of them... only a couple tracks on Last.FM radio, but I did not like it, mainly due to the vocals. This show, however, made me a fan. How can you not get up and dance and smile and have a great time???

My girlfriend and I were very confused as to what to do during their set, but once they did the "Melechesh beat" (as many call it) we got STOKED. So for the guy on who says I don't like fun because I hate Alestorm... here ya go . Definitely one of the most fun bands I had ever seen, it's too bad their next show here (on the Alestorm tour) was covered with terrible sound issues... still fun though!

EDIT: The second time I saw them, on the Alestorm tour, they did the Brittany Spears cover which was SO HYPE.

Here is a video from the Studio 7 show!
Karve - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm5Ss2yFxdw

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom

Last edited by John The Drummer; 12-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

3. Morbid Angel - November 25 - Studio 7

*this IS from the Seattle show*

HO.LY.SHIT. I don't know what else could be above such an amazing performance. Let's start this out the right way....

When I heard Morbid Angel was playing in Seattle and doing the whole "Have locals open" deal what do you think I did? Contact Studio 7 of course and tell them we want to open for them, and open we did.

This was my second time seeing Morbid Angel (first time being at MDF last year) and WOW.... I wouldn't say it was better than seeing them in Baltimore, but it was damn near close to it! It was odd though... they didn't show much energy, but the energy was there . David Vincent was dominating, Trey was... well... Trey, DestrucThor was next to unnoticeable, and Tim Yeung... TIM YEUNG.... who needs Pete Sandoval when you can have Mr. Yeung behind the kit and making the songs sound 10 times heavier!?

I only stuck around for their "Covenant" set, but goddamn, it was so amazing. Definitely the best sound that I have heard at this venue in a LONG time!

Here is a video of....
RAPTURE!!!!
http://youtu.be/Hj9DmgO9C78?t=2m46s

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom

Last edited by John The Drummer; 12-29-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

2. Heidevolk - April 5 - Studio 7

*not from Seattle show*

I guess I forgot to mention that these bands were in an actual order... and this number 2 was a long awaited gift... the amazing, HEIDEVOLK! There isn't much I can say about this, except, wow. I wasn't sure how the dual vocals would come across live, but they nailed it. Everything was so perfect, so much energy and power, I think I got a little depressed when they announced that they only had one more song left. I really hope they make it back... would not miss them for [almost] anything!

Clip from the show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFaPXBf2Mgc

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

1. Absu - April 26 - The Highline

As if none of you guessed this one already.... my number one best live band of the year, by a long shot, the almighty, ABSU.

Like they say, third times a charm, and this show proved this to be true. I had seen Absu back in 2009 (or 08? forgot the exact year) here in Seattle and the sound was horrendous. I saw Absu at MDF X last year, and although it was a great performance on their behalf, I just wasn't feeling it (possibly because I got hit int he no no spot by a random drunk who was flailing his arms everywhere). So Absu... coming to Seattle again?!?!?! Count me in!

I tried my hardest to get my band to open, and was very upset that we didn't get the chance to, but then again, it let me enjoy them much more, and enjoy them I did. From beginning to end they were 100% spot on. Pure perfection, and just.... I don't know, I am at a loss for words at the moment. Absu brings the energy and power that many bands do not, and when they kicked into "Stone of Destiny" with Proscriptor (who is my BIGGEST drum influence of all time) doing solo vocals and a guest drummer filling his place on the throne.... UGH! So amazing, his stage moves and high kicks and everything were so entertaining. Many people made fun of him for his goofy antics, but I think it makes them that much more enjoyable.

And that is why Absu takes NUMBAH ONE, BAND, 2013!!!

Here are some videos of their set....

First 30 minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfnNxJwRiA
Stone of Destiny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LL8Mhg3ohM

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

So there are my lists. Hope you guys enjoyed my terrible reviewing skills and found something you have either never heard of or been interested in hearing

I might do one more list for shits and giggles, "Top 5 Shows I Played" with short reviews. There were a couple real stand out shows (Denver) that I'd like to review again/post about, so there we go!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

The not that anyone cares Top 5 Shows I Played in 2013

5. September 15 @ The Tonic Lounge | Sickness In September (Portland, OR)

Here is a funny one. I played 16 shows in total this year, and some how the most embarrassing show that my band has ever performed made it on at number 5! I won't go into detail, we laugh about it now, but its just funny at how sloppy we were..... yet people still loved us!!! I feel this show was one of my strongest performances because, given the situation we were in, I decided to step it up; hit my drums harder; show as much energy as possible; make sure everyone in the crowd had a good time!

Plus, it was our first show in Portland, OR, and we were headlining this Metal Fest . I am just VERY glad my girlfriend came down and we were able to go around the city and have fun

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

4. June 15 @ Bushwacker’s Saloon (Denver, CO)

*Here is an image of one of the guys at this venue who looked like the bassist of Korpiklaani*

What a great show. This was the 4th (3rd day for us, we missed the first night) day of the Troops Of Death tour we did with our friends in Thou Shall Kill, and it was by far the best! We hit the Bushwacker's Saloon in Denver on a Saturday night. The rest of our shows had been on week nights, so obviously no one was out to support 2 unknown out of town bands those nights, but this show was AMAZING. The crowd was so fun, they wanted more and more, and at the end of the night they were all cheering for us while we were loading up and thanking us for traveling there. Nearly everyone shook my hand, and we made a lot of really good connections. I hate touring, but I would love to go back to Denver and play there again!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

3. November 25 @ Studio 7 w/ Morbid Angel

I don't know how this is only at the 3rd best show of the year, but it is. Opening for Morbid Angel was a dream come true. One of the most legendary Death Metal bands in history, and we got the chance to open for them. The crowd was pretty awesome, lots of pits, lots of cheering... and even some chodes up in the bar booing us during our whole set , but we still had a blast. Not much can be said about this show, other then it was great to play with such legends!

Here is a video of our set that my friend took....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOe_K8Jr4G4

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom