Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Iron Reagan -- Lawrence, KS -- April 24th, 2014
Nile -- Toronto, ON -- April 24th, 2014
Iced Earth -- West Springfield, VA -- April 21st, 2014
Vandenberg's MoonKings -- London, England -- April 24th, 2014
Ghost -- Boulder, CO -- April 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
These guys, Unearth and Shadows Fall - I wonder how they can still be able to afford doing this. Shadows Fall haven't been in Europe properly in years, Unearth are just putting out album after album with no traction and Chimaira are trying to claim some of the deathcore fanbase. I think it'd actually serve them better to quit for a while, and see about a reunion tour in 5 - 10 years. worked for Suffocation, Sacred Reich, Testament amongst others.
I'm worried about Shadows Fall, they're on their 3rd bassist since the last record came out. Brian lives in St. Louis, and Jon is in Anthrax now. Plus Jason is doing alot of stuff.
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-28-2013, 03:36 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I'm worried about Shadows Fall, they're on their 3rd bassist since the last record came out. Brian lives in St. Louis, and Jon is in Anthrax now. Plus Jason is doing alot of stuff.
That's the thing, there's more money for the musicians in lessons/clinics/session playing than there is in sticking to one project. It sucks being at that stage where only the BIG bands from the era of music you grew up with are able to keep it up, and the rest fall by the wayside.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Four graves...

Quote:
I saw Shadows Fall and God Forbid together this year and there were very few people, even less when I saw Sworn Enemy

For whatever reason people aren't going out and seeing these bands anymore
Man, yeah, I saw Sworn Enemy a few months ago in a sports bar in the suburbs with maybe, MAYBE a hundred people there.
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
5/14 Deathhammer
Old 11-28-2013, 07:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Man, yeah, I saw Sworn Enemy a few months ago in a sports bar in the suburbs with maybe, MAYBE a hundred people there.
I saw them in a bar in NJ, if I had to guess I'd say less than 10 people if you don't count the other bands and crew
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 AM
N00B

It's also kind of lame that they're celebrating being a band for 15 years even though everyone else except Mark Hunter has been in the band for like 2 years. I know they're referring to the music of Chimaira and not necessarily the members themselves but still.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:

Who's their bassist now? I know that Paul wasn't playing and they had some other guy, but even then they never officially said anything about it.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
It's also kind of lame that they're celebrating being a band for 15 years even though everyone else except Mark Hunter has been in the band for like 2 years. I know they're referring to the music of Chimaira and not necessarily the members themselves but still.
Keep in mind Mark was the only one there the whole time from their most well known lineup
-Andols left between 03-06, and joined over a year after they formed
-Matt joined after Pass Out Of Existence was released
-Jim wasnt there until 2 years after the band formed
-Chris also didn't join until 2000
-Rob didn't come in until a year after they formed

I mean when you break down he many records each one did(post Roadrunner signing) you also see that every record had atleast 3 members on it from the previous release. It wasnt like Mark hired a new band then made Crown of Phantoms. Hell Emil had played with the band on and off since the mid-late 2000's for various reasons.

Honestly I just think there's a ceiling for those NWOAHM bands, just like the thrash bands before them. They have a dedicated fanbase but they flourish more when it's riding high as a trend. Look at deathcore, that's already declining.
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Who's their bassist now? I know that Paul wasn't playing and they had some other guy, but even then they never officially said anything about it.
They had Ed Lanoutte from Dark Day Sunday for 2012, then randomly this year he was replaced by Mike Turbayne from Kobra Kai on bass now. I didn't know until I saw them. Not to mention they've done alot of shows without Jon Donais when he's been touring with Anthrax.
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Keep in mind Mark was the only one there the whole time from their most well known lineup
-Andols left between 03-06, and joined over a year after they formed
-Matt joined after Pass Out Of Existence was released
-Jim wasnt there until 2 years after the band formed
-Chris also didn't join until 2000
-Rob didn't come in until a year after they formed

I mean when you break down he many records each one did(post Roadrunner signing) you also see that every record had atleast 3 members on it from the previous release. It wasnt like Mark hired a new band then made Crown of Phantoms. Hell Emil had played with the band on and off since the mid-late 2000's for various reasons.
rob joined 4 months after the band started, and he brought andols in shortly thereafter, both before the band even played a show. and i guess if im gonna get that technical, jim was more like a year and a half. before joining in nov 2010, emil only did a single partial tour filling in for matt on guitar in 2009, and then the first 2 or 3 shows on bass for the trivium tour later that year, so not exactly mid-2000s.

not sure how you are working this "at least 3 members" logic, and those early early lineup changes are pretty irrelevant. with the exceptions of hager and talley and the first EP, essentially the same core of musicians recorded and performed the vast majority of the bands output, but most importantly, mark and/or rob wrote like 99% of everything. which is why i had no problem with age of hell, as they both were still there, and ben has been so heavily involved all along that him playing drums made sense (besides, being a modern metal producer, what we heard on drums was probably largely shaped by him anyways. not to mention, mark and rob always had a heavy hand in the drum parts). crown though really is a different band. even though i think they did a pretty good job making a "chimaira" album, its very tough to think of them as chimaira without at least rob.

Last edited by detuned; 11-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM
N00B

Quote:
Outside of Mark, Crown of Phantoms didn't have any musicians from the Age of Hell, unless you count Emil's guest solo on Samsara (which I don't). Even then that's only 2. The people who played on Age of Hell were Mark, Rob (who handled the Bass guitar) Matt (I'm not sure if he recorded anything on the album, i'll have to check the liner notes), and Ben Schigel their producer recorded the drums. They didn't get Emil, Austin, and Sean Z in the touring lineup until after the album was finished, and then Rob and Matt announced they were leaving in the middle of the US tour run.