Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
N00B

ozzfest was while they were still on roadrunner. resurrection certainly put them back on an upward trajectory, but ferret didnt have the means to get them where roadrunner could and should have. the back to back of disturbed and mayhem tours made it seem like they maybe were finally going to break to that next level they had been hovering under for so long, but then of course ferret went under and the lineup completely changed. and i assure you they never were drawing 600-700 headlining on any regularity outside of cleveland.

edit: in america i mean, they always did much better in europe. also, pretty sure their management had something to do with sounds of the underground, hence how they got on it twice. and that second time was when it was scaled back to large clubs/theaters, and chim was still billed under gwar and shadows fall.

Last edited by detuned; 11-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
and i assure you they never were drawing 600-700 headlining on any regularity outside of cleveland.
The headlining tour in 2007 they did with Kataklysm and Terror mostly filled the Opera House in Toronto, which hold just under 800. They played the same venue 3 years later though and it was less than half of that.

Last edited by AnthG; 11-28-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 AM
N00B

and toronto is the 4th biggest city in north america. probably didnt hurt katakylsm were on the bill either. im sure they pulled numbers like those at least a handful of times in the biggest markets, but yeah like i said, not with any regularity. even hometown cleveland wasnt a sure thing, i went out for 3 christmas shows in a row during arguably their peak years (2004-2006), and while they were great turnouts, they certainly were far from packed.

Last edited by detuned; 11-28-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 AM
N00B

Aren't those Christmas shows always at the House of Blues? That places holds 1,200 people if Wikipedia is correct, not exactly a small number.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 AM
N00B

first year i went was the agora, which at that point was the biggest christmas show they had done. googles claims 1800 cap, not sure if that includes the side room or what, but all i know is its definitely bigger than the HOB, and it definitely wasnt sold out. the next year they went smaller with the odeon (supposedly 850 cap) but over 2 nights. both nights were pretty well filled, but i dont believe sold out either. then the last time i went was the first year they played house of blues, which yes almost all have been at since, except this year which is back to the agora.

SIDE FUN FACTS: phil demmel from machine head flew out for the 2004 and 2005 shows. the 2005 shows the band vowed to not repeat a single song over the two nights, which aside from power trip, they stuck to. even busted out pantera's walk. probably the best times ive ever seen them. those were also kevin talley's last shows with the band, and andols was in attendance.

seems kinda funny to sit here and actually correct how big they werent, which is not to try to discredit them or anything, its just i saw so much of this all first hand, and it just still frustrates me to this day that they couldnt get to that next level, while so many of their inferior peers did. fucking killed me to see shitheads like trivium and all that remains go from opening for chimaira to headlining over them in the span of a couple of years.

another side note, that actually reminds me of the time when chimaira actually co-headlined a euro tour with killswitch, and shadows fall and god forbid opening haha.

Last edited by detuned; 11-28-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
first year i went was the agora, which at that point was the biggest christmas show they had done. googles claims 1800 cap, not sure if that includes the side room or what, but all i know is its definitely bigger than the HOB, and it definitely wasnt sold out. the next year they went smaller with the odeon (supposedly 850 cap) but over 2 nights. both nights were pretty well filled, but i dont believe sold out either. then the last time i went was the first year they played house of blues, which yes almost all have been at since, except this year which is back to the agora.

SIDE FUN FACTS: phil demmel from machine head flew out for the 2004 and 2005 shows. the 2005 shows the band vowed to not repeat a single song over the two nights, which aside from power trip, they stuck to. even busted out pantera's walk. probably the best times ive ever seen them. those were also kevin talley's last shows with the band, and andols was in attendance.

seems kinda funny to sit here and actually correct how big they werent, which is not to try to discredit them or anything, its just i saw so much of this all first hand, and it just still frustrates me to this day that they couldnt get to that next level, while so many of their inferior peers did. fucking killed me to see shitheads like trivium and all that remains go from opening for chimaira to headlining over them in the span of a couple of years.

another side note, that actually reminds me of the time when chimaira actually co-headlined a euro tour with killswitch, and shadows fall and god forbid opening haha.

Keep in mind Chimaira also did a Euro tour opening for Spineshank and Ill Niņo
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
N00B

It does suck that Chimaira has definitely fallen the hardest of all of the early-mid 2000s NWOAHM bands or whatever. Even Unearth and Shadows Fall, two bands who you look at and go "Man, they were on the up and up and now they've kind of gone backwards popularity wise" haven't fallen nearly as hard as Chimaira.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Four graves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
sounds about right
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
N00B

I saw Shadows Fall and God Forbid together this year and there were very few people, even less when I saw Sworn Enemy

For whatever reason people aren't going out and seeing these bands anymore
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

These guys, Unearth and Shadows Fall - I wonder how they can still be able to afford doing this. Shadows Fall haven't been in Europe properly in years, Unearth are just putting out album after album with no traction and Chimaira are trying to claim some of the deathcore fanbase. I think it'd actually serve them better to quit for a while, and see about a reunion tour in 5 - 10 years. worked for Suffocation, Sacred Reich, Testament amongst others.