Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Lantern At The End Of Time is a new Bastard Sapling track featuring Dorthia from Windhand streaming at NPR.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

New Night Ranger is fantastic, check it if you like them.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

I've been fucking up this year as I've only heard 18 records so far. I'm going to start to rectify that later this week and check out the new Atmosphere, Arch Enemy, Jack White, Body Count, Mac Miller and a bunch of others. Here's all 18 records I've listened to thus far from worst to best.

Modern Baseball-You're Gonna Miss It All
Iggy Azalea-The New Classic
The Kindred-Life in Lucidity
The Kennedy Veil-Trinity of Falsehood
The Black Keys-Turn Blue
Neck Deep-Wishful Thinking
Whitechapel-Our Endless War
St.Vincent-St.Vincent
Intervals-A Voice Within
ScHoolboy Q-Oxymoron
The Mire-Glass Cathedrals
Killer Be Killed-Killer Be Killed
CunninLynguists-Strange Journey Volume 3
Son of Aurelius-Under a Western Sun
Archspire-The Lucid Collective
Animals as Leaders-The Joy of Motion
Behemoth-The Satanist
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib-Pinata
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM
with his arms outstretched

The new Agalloch was better on the second play through but that's not saying much. I'd only heard seven or eight 2014 albums before I heard it...and it's not in my top ten.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Haven't got to an order yet:

Iced Earth - good not great. Step down from the album before in my opinion.

Nashville Pussy - Really fun album, might be best album they've done in their career.

Lionize - Disappointed with this a lot. They had a good stoner/rock/reggae on their last album. This album just doesn't do it for me very much.

Ringworm - late to the Ringworm party. Just listened to this a couple weeks ago, never listened to them before. I love this. This will be in my top 10 by the end of the year.

Austrian Death Machine - I found it disappointing. Not much I liked but I really liked first 2.

Lacuna Coil - Shell of themselves from 10 years ago. I've given up.

BLS - Discussed this previously, I don't like it at all. I have more songs on Shot To Hell I liked more than this. Didn't like it at all. Might try it again and see if I like it more.

Triptykon - Easily in my top 10. Although didn't grow like the first album did for me. I think it's a shade harder to get into but still really great.

Fu Manchu - Another solid Fu Manchu album. Nothing mind blowing but nothing that's bad either.

Down - Haven't quite decided. I think it's better than the last EP. But the last EP wasn't super great. Kirk definitely made a good decision to focus completely on Crowbar.

Killer Be Killed - not quite what I was hoping for. This had promise. It seems like they decided to change the sound a little when they got Troy. I was hoping for more Nailbomb when I first heard about this. Maybe if there's another album it's different.

Mushroomhead - Well I loved them when I was 18. I wanted to try this for nostalgia purposes when I heard J Mann was back. Honestly, it was better than I thought. There's a few good songs. Best they've done in atleast 10 years. But not saying much. This seemed more focused than previous years.

Prong - Sigh. Well Carved Into Stone was one of the best Tommy did in years. I loved that album. This album has moments of great but other parts I don't like as much. It feels a little Rude Awakening to me which overall I wasn't a fan of. I think it'll still be top 10 but not as high as I hoped.

Crowbar - Good call Kirk. Not as great as the last album (which I loved) but it's one of the best I've heard this year. Miles better than Down.

Eyehategod - God I started wondering if I'd ever see a new EHG album. This was definitely worth the wait. It has that good mix of faster hardcore punk stuff from earlier albums to the more recent sludgier stuff. This would be my # 1 at the almost halfway point of the year.

Arch Enemy - Just like the last couple of AE releases, I didn't care for this much either. I don't even blame it on a new singer. The last few albums w/ Angela were dull too. The songwriting has just not been real good the last few releases. It seems like NA as a whole has really stopped paying much attention to AE lately. 10-12 years ago they seemed like a big deal here but as of late they have been relatively quiet in NA.

Body Count - I love this too as I posted last week. The songs are hilarious (I know most have heard the Institutionalized cover by now) & at the same time the music is great too. Not all metal has to be serious and this is a perfect example of an album that doesn't take itself seriously. It's a fun listen. If you can't crack a smile or laugh at any of this you might not be alive.

I plan on listening to the new Vader, Floor, the Godflesh EP, & I want to hear Tombs & Gridlink since those have gotten a lot of mentions on everyone's list.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 PM
N00B

Boris
Old 06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
Boris
Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 PM
That Guy

The new Boris is fucking excellent. A Best Of Album, with all brand new material.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Anybody checked out the new Tesla in full yet? I've heard a few tracks off of it and they seem pretty solid.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Anybody checked out the new Tesla in full yet? I've heard a few tracks off of it and they seem pretty solid.
I have it. Having a really hard time getting into it. it just sounds like the vocals were layered on after the tracks were mastered in a bad recorded audition demo.

The riffs are good, but the production does bother me, which is a rarity outside raw black metal.