Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk-- Norrköping, Sweden--December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
That Guy

I should say that I meant that phrase more in when a band changes their sound it's automatically hated by fans. Of course every band can make a shitty album, but there are the people out there who for instance when Cynic went from Focus to Traced In Air, the so called die hard fans hated that album because the sound changed. Cynic didn't want to make Focus 2, they made the album they wanted to make, and damn it it's a great album.

The same thing is going on now, the album has been officially out for 11 days now and so many people are ragging on it, and in a few months down the road, those same people will either despise it more or let the album grow on them and love it. And I like to think that people with good taste in music wouldn't trash a band they like just because they changed their sound. If it actually sucks, then yeah hate it as much as you want, but do it because it actually sucks not a change in sound.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I should say that I meant that phrase more in when a band changes their sound it's automatically hated by fans. Of course every band can make a shitty album, but there are the people out there who for instance when Cynic went from Focus to Traced In Air, the so called die hard fans hated that album because the sound changed. Cynic didn't want to make Focus 2, they made the album they wanted to make, and damn it it's a great album.

The same thing is going on now, the album has been officially out for 11 days now and so many people are ragging on it, and in a few months down the road, those same people will either despise it more or let the album grow on them and love it. And I like to think that people with good taste in music wouldn't trash a band they like just because they changed their sound. If it actually sucks, then yeah hate it as much as you want, but do it because it actually sucks not a change in sound.
:|

Does it not occur to you that somebody might think the change in sound sucks? That's kind of the whole point of this convo. People don't like it because they think it sucks. It's not like people think "well it's different, I hate it". It's more like "I don't like this change in sound so much because it's not appealing to me".
Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
:|

Does it not occur to you that somebody might think the change in sound sucks? That's kind of the whole point of this convo. People don't like it because they think it sucks. It's not like people think "well it's different, I hate it". It's more like "I don't like this change in sound so much because it's not appealing to me".
I know more than enough people who don't use the logic you just said, so that's why I explained it the way I did.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Troo Methulfan

I like Load, but to each it's own.

Soon in da thread of "underrated" albums.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
I like Load, but to each it's own.

Soon in da thread of "underrated" albums.
I enjoy it too, just an easy example of an album that was a serious departure of known sound and somewhat a rough period in the band's history.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Headbanger

Sadus was my favorite band for 10 years even though they continued to put out prog albums when I wanted more speed metal. My favorite cd's are still the 1st 2 but the prog stuff is incredible musically. I do hold out hope that they put out one last thrash type cd one day. Or at least tour around here one more time.

I've found most bands will reward their fans for staying loyal. Hopefully Sadus follows suit. A new cd and a tour with Cynic would be awesome!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I enjoy it too, just an easy example of an album that was a serious departure of known sound and somewhat a rough period in the band's history.
Yeah, the lyrics reflect that. The House That Jack Built is one of my favorite Metallica songs, the intro is great and well, you know what it's about.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Yeah, the lyrics reflect that. The House That Jack Built is one of my favorite Metallica songs, the intro is great and well, you know what it's about.
Since we're on the topic, here's a good read on Load: http://thatshowkidsdie.com/2014/02/2...st-rites-load/

As for the purpose of this thread, other than the pig squeals, I'm really enjoying the new Benighted, which surprises the hell out of me. I'm not enjoying the new Cynic, which doesn't surprise me one bit.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM
One who onions things

The new Midnight Chaser kills. Outstanding modern NWOBHM-style radness.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

New Modern Basebell was aight, Sports was way better.

New Schoolboy was cool nothing amazing though.