Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Since Ghost has their own genre I give Manks the honor of using "Bring Me The Horizon core"
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
1. Indian – From All Purity
4. Woods of Desolation – As The Stars
6. Helms Alee –Sleepwalking Sailors
12. Mogwai – Rave Tapes
17. Cynic – Kindly Bent To Free Us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
1. Indian - From All Purity
5. Helms Alee - Sleepwalking Sailors
6. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
7. Mogwai - Rave Tapes
12. Culted - Oblique to all Paths
Yeah, that Indian album is just tits. I didn't expect it to rule so hard, and this is coming from a guy who loved Guiltless.

I gotta get on Woods, Mogwai, TSMZ and especially Helms Alee. I've heard some samples so far and it sounds incredible. I'm also supposed to review the new Culted (which reminds me I gotta d/L those damn files), but their previous stuff I checked out sounds awesome.

The samples of the new Cynic that I've heard though are just AWFUL. I can see how their sound may have progressed to where it seems to be now, but leaving all of the death metal behind and going full reta- I mean, prog is just not working for me at this point. Maybe I'll re-listen at some point, but first impressions were not good at all.

I see the new Behemoth is stirring up some controversy as well. I've heard like five seconds of it, but it didn't blow me away. My bet is that it's more like The Apostasy than Demigod. The latter was pure awesomeness, and the former was decent but lavishly over-priaised by many in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
is the Iced Earth really that good? I think I'm gonna have to reconsider checking it out....
I'd like to think it is. I know a lot of people who hate it, but there is plenty that see how good it is. I think it's their best since Framing Armageddon.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I really really really liked the new Cynic.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I really really really liked the new Cynic.
I do as well. Like I mentioned in my 2014 thread. they wrote an album that was for them, not pandering to the fans, and that's how all bands should write. The real fans will stick with them.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I do as well. Like I mentioned in my 2014 thread. they wrote an album that was for them, not pandering to the fans, and that's how all bands should write. The real fans will stick with them.
I've come to hate that phrase. The fans of what they're doing will stick with them, the ones who don't probably won't. It's a departure from their normal sound, and some fans aren't going to like it. Doesn't make them fake fans for not digging it and not wanting to support the band. Not like it's the bands 'Load' or anything, it's not the result of some rough period. They're making different music to what they used to make, and people are entitled to dislike it.

/rant
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I've come to hate that phrase. The fans of what they're doing will stick with them, the ones who don't probably won't. It's a departure from their normal sound, and some fans aren't going to like it. Doesn't make them fake fans for not digging it and not wanting to support the band. Not like it's the bands 'Load' or anything, it's not the result of some rough period. They're making different music to what they used to make, and people are entitled to dislike it.

/rant
Huzzah and fuck yes. Would I have been a shitty Baroness fan had I not eventually come to like Yellow & Green? I don't think so. It wouldn't have detracted from my undying love for everything pre-Y&G one bit. Just because I didn't care for Load or Reload doesn't change the fact that Metallica's music has been a major influence on my experiences in metal.

I see what MPF is saying, that bands should do what they want and not pander to the crowd, but I don't think it makes the fans hypocrites if they don't love everything a band releases. That's just dumb.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I'd like to think it is. I know a lot of people who hate it, but there is plenty that see how good it is. I think it's their best since Framing Armageddon.
That's because half of it was already on Framing Armageddon (or almost any other album you care to pick). It's rehash after rehash.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:

/rant
Spot on. It's not an example a lot of other people here are going to be on board with, but I'll go see Skid Row every time they come through here, and check out every new record, but 'Revolutions Per Minute' is still a piece of shit.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:

/rant
Exactly. I hate that phrase as well. Bands make shitty albums, whatever, doesn't mean I'm less of a fan of the band if I don't like a particular album. Just as bands shouldn't pander to what I want, I won't alter my tastes so as to be a "true" fan of all a band's material.

None of that is in reference to the new Cynic by the way. I haven't heard it yet.
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit