After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
New song from Code Orange (previously Code Orange Kids)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=H6wYuhLxXm8
they dropped "kids" from their name, I drop this band from my playlist
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Quote:
So I guess I'm gonna be the first guy to come in here and say that I was strongly let down by the new Mastodon album.
After The Hunter I had really had no expectations, which was a good thing because, I'm sort of satisfied with this release. It didn't blow my mind, but I also wasn't disappointed with it, kinda luke warm I guess.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
They used to be a pop-punk band until the hardcore scene here became the big trend.
Pallbearer: 10/28
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
So you admit that you only like things for kids like pop-punk and k-pop
11/06 Intronaut
Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfDoom View Post
After The Hunter I had really had no expectations, which was a good thing because, I'm sort of satisfied with this release. It didn't blow my mind, but I also wasn't disappointed with it, kinda luke warm I guess.
I don't know. While The Hunter isn't my favorite thing, I think the record is good. After hearing the first two singles, it seemed like they were getting back in tune with some older elements of their sound. Chimes At Midnight has some Blood Mountain as fuck riffs and the solo section in High Road is kind of CTS and the main riff is heavier than anything present on The Hunter. But the majority of the material on OMRTS is just too had rock/pop based for me and I feel like during they rely too much on throwing in a spacey section in the middle of a lot of the tracks to try and please older fans or something. Really though, I think my main gripe is the production. It's a produced like a pop (relative term here) record. I feel like if the production where more similar to the older records, some of these riffs could really shine by sounding filthy and gritty. It's not the worst thing I've heard by any means, but it's just not the direction I like to see my favorite band go in. Also, The Motherload is horrible. Asleep In The Deep is ever worse

11/06 Intronaut
Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
They used to be a pop-punk band until the hardcore scene here became the big trend.
Triple post.

Most of the members are still in a indie/pop-punk band, called Adventures. I think it's decent.

Also, new Thou EP.
https://soundcloud.com/roboticempire...-the-sacrifice
11/06 Intronaut
Old 06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
6. Moonlit Sailor - We Came From Exploding Stars
So glad to see that someone else on here is hip to this tremendous album. I'll admit it's a little bit front-end loaded, but the awesomeness of the first half of the album is so ridiculous that the last half just simply couldn't have ever measured up. I mean, the first time I listened to it, I was in awe and unable to speak until around track five or six. It's that good. If the whole album had been as awesome as the first half, I would have been a puddle of goo on the floor by the time it was over.

"Skydiver" is to this album what "Hope" was to "So Close to Life". I can't listen to either song without wanting to cry tears of joy. So powerful.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Lovin' the new Mastodon. It's a grower, but has an odd balance between The Hunter style song based stuff and the older WAY progressive goings on.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
- I don't know if it's just me but a lot of the most anticipated releases for me this year (Mastodon, Alcest, Cynic, Agalloch, Triptykon) have been really disappointing and metal in general's been a bit down compared to the last few years. The great stuff is really great, but there's a lot of middle of the road/bad stuff coming from bands I expect more from.
I thought metal was down last year, not this year. The Agalloch album was a major disappointment because it was so unexpectedly bad by Agalloch standards, but I was expecting the Alcest album to be what it is. Do I wish they were still writing Écailles de Lune caliber/style music? Absolutely. But, unfortunately they're not, and I've come to accept that.

All in all, I think my top ten in June this year is a stronger list than my top ten was in December last year. And we still have some huge releases due before the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
"Skydiver" is to this album what "Hope" was to "So Close to Life". I can't listen to either song without wanting to cry tears of joy. So powerful.

"Skydiver" is such an awesome song. I think this is easily Moonlit Sailor's best album yet. If The Seven Mile Journey doesn't release an album this year, this one will probably be the best post-rock album of the year.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Quote:
I don't know. While The Hunter isn't my favorite thing, I think the record is good. After hearing the first two singles, it seemed like they were getting back in tune with some older elements of their sound. Chimes At Midnight has some Blood Mountain as fuck riffs and the solo section in High Road is kind of CTS and the main riff is heavier than anything present on The Hunter. But the majority of the material on OMRTS is just too had rock/pop based for me and I feel like during they rely too much on throwing in a spacey section in the middle of a lot of the tracks to try and please older fans or something. Really though, I think my main gripe is the production. It's a produced like a pop (relative term here) record. I feel like if the production where more similar to the older records, some of these riffs could really shine by sounding filthy and gritty. It's not the worst thing I've heard by any means, but it's just not the direction I like to see my favorite band go in. Also, The Motherload is horrible. Asleep In The Deep is ever worse

I agree with all of this, but to a much lesser degree, as I said I'm satisfied. Though like you said, after I heard High Road and that heavy riff, which actually made me think of Remission, I was hoping for a return to the past, but I just dont think its possible anymore. So while I liked the record quite a bit, I still cant deny anything you said.

(Motherload chorus is stuck in my headddd )
Edit: so is the chanting at the end of Aunt Lisa, which besides that kind of reminds me of Blood Mountain.

Last edited by HandOfDoom; 06-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.