Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

View Poll Results: On a scale of one to ten how do you rank this shit?
01. (three months of my life Iím not getting back) 0 0%
02. (needs more Maiden) 2 16.67%
03. (Wow, quť fue de mi maldito tiempo. Muchas gracias "dick-martillo".) 0 0%
04. (my legs hurt) 2 16.67%
05. (mine was better) 0 0%
06. (needs less Maiden) 1 8.33%
07. (needs more Priest) 1 8.33%
08. (Iím going back to masturbating and waiting for the next Necrofagist album) 0 0%
09. (you lost me at Babymetal) 1 8.33%
10. (needs more ďAngry PicardĒ memes) 2 16.67%
11. (Matt Damon!) 3 25.00%
12. (who THE FUCK cares?) 0 0%
13. (reallyÖwho the fuck cares?) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 PM
with his arms outstretched

adamclark52's Top 100 albums (version 2)

So, here it is. The definitive top one hundred albums of adamclark52. I put a lot of work into this. It all started in late-2012 when I did a rushed top twenty thread then continued to add close to two hundred more albums (unranked) to that thread. So none of the stuff here should come as too much a surprise. This just puts closure on something thatís been eating away at me for close to two years. I was never happy with the first list and Iíve been picking away at this ever since. It usually always ended up the same but I canít even say that this will forever be the top one hundred. In fact I can guarantee that it wonít. Stuff will always come and go. Stuff that hasnít been released. Stuff I just havenít heard. There are already a couple albums in here from 2014. Or maybe Iíll discover some obscure album from 1983 that will change everything. There are bands I love that arenít very well represented in this thread. There are bands Iím not a huge fan of that ARE in this thread. But there shouldnít be any stuff I left out (like I did with the original list). Even the original top twenty will have changed a bit since I belched that out in about an hour two years ago. I really wish Iíd have put the thought and effort into that thread originally that I have since. Iím probably going to look pretty stupid with how some albums have dropped since then. A lot of it was because that first list was made on the fly and I hadnít listened to a lot of albums in YEARS. But over the course of adding to the list I got a renewed interest in albums that Iíd all but forgotten about.

Ah who am I kidding. There's no way that anyone here could think any less of me.

Thereíll be no scores given to anything in this thread. Itís all at least four and a halfís out of five. I also omitted all video game music and soundtracks, since at least a quarter of my top one hundred would be Final Fantasy and Ninja Gaiden. There may be a compilation or two but this is all music by BANDS. Most of which performed live. There will be a repeat band or two. Thatís just the way things worked out. And I lied; there will probably be one or two surprises that never made it in to my other thread. Just because I was never inspired, never got around to writing about them, yadda-yadda-yadda. Most of the paragraphs will be the original text with maybe a bit added here and there to embellish or if a new thought has popped in to my head.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM

100.The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity

Released on September 28th, 1999
Label: Relapse Records
Genre: mathcore
I first heard this: in summer of 2000

I bought this album without hearing a single note of Dillinger Escape Plan’s music. I’d heard a lot of great things about them and they’d opened for Mr. Bungle the summer before so I figured they must be good. In hindsight it was a really stupid thing to do. I think it cost me close to thirty dollars for an album I wasn’t even sure I’d like. And at first I didn’t like it. I think I was expecting them to be a death metal band. There were parts I thought were cool, like the main riff from 43% Burnt, but things changed so quickly and I just wasn’t ready for that type of music at that point in my life. You gotta remember, in 2000 there weren’t as many bands like DEP as there are today so it was a huge shock. I can even remember thinking stupid things like, "maybe if they had a better singer I'd like this album more". A couple years later they got the singer to end all singers (Mike Patton) and I ended up not liking that too much and realized they were better off with the guy they had on this album. Over the years it's grown on me more and more and I’ve really found myself loving it. It’s really the only Dillinger Escape Plan I like, aside from the Under the Running Board EP (which is way over-priced whenever I see it; twenty-five bucks for seven minutes of music, no thanks).

Favorite Song: Weekend Sex Change

Full album

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-22-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 PM
N00B

My body is ready.
Off to a good start. My personal favorite TDEP full length.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Troo Methulfan

My body was never ready.

Sorry Adam.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM

99. Queens Of the Stone Age

Released on September 22nd, 1998
Label: Loosegroove Records
Genre: Stone Rock (lite)
I first heard this: in early October 1998

Kyuss have been one of my favorite bands for a long, long time. But, like most people I got in to them after they’d broken up. A lot of times, when you’re younger, you hear something from a band you like (or related to a band you like) and your judgment can be a little clouded. You like it because of what it represents rather than for what it really is (a point I will contradict myself on much later). I first heard Walkin' On The Sidewalks a few months before this album came out and was impressed but deep down I wasn’t as blown away as I wanted to be. Josh Homme was no John Garcia, the guitar work wasn’t as mind bottling and it didn’t have that heavy fuzz that Kyuss’ albums had. But I bought the album anyway and held my breath. Lo and behold Walkin' On The Sidewalks was actually one of the tracks that I found weaker on the album. I was honestly sold within the first minute of Regular John. My tastes weren't quite as extreme as they are now but I did not listen to anything quite as poppy as that back in those days. I loved the simplicity of the album. It was nothing more than three guys just jamming out. Before the pomp and “rock star” of later Queens of the Stone Age albums. This was a band that had nothing to lose and nothing to gain. Who’d have thought that they’d end up as big as they are now? It ended up being my favorite album released that year.

Favorite Song: You Can't Quit Me Baby

Full Album

Fun Fact: I got this on the same day as Sepultura's 'Against' album, another new chapter in a band I really liked's career.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
99. Queens Of the Stone Age

Released on September 22nd, 1998
Label: Loosegroove Records
Genre: Stone Rock (lite)
I first heard this: in early October 1998

Kyuss have been one of my favorite bands for a long, long time. But, like most people I got in to them after they’d broken up. A lot of times, when you’re younger, you hear something from a band you like (or related to a band you like) and your judgment can be a little clouded. You like it because of what it represents rather than for what it really is (a point I will contradict myself on much later). I first heard Walkin' On The Sidewalks a few months before this album came out and was impressed but deep down I wasn’t as blown away as I wanted to be. Josh Homme was no John Garcia, the guitar work wasn’t as mind bottling and it didn’t have that heavy fuzz that Kyuss’ albums had. But I bought the album anyway and held my breath. Lo and behold Walkin' On The Sidewalks was actually one of the tracks that I found weaker on the album. I was honestly sold within the first minute of Regular John. My tastes weren't quite as extreme as they are now but I did not listen to anything quite as poppy as that back in those days. I loved the simplicity of the album. It was nothing more than three guys just jamming out. Before the pomp and “rock star” of later Queens of the Stone Age albums. This was a band that had nothing to lose and nothing to gain. Who’d have thought that they’d end up as big as they are now? It ended up being my favorite album released that year.

Favorite Song: You Can't Quit Me Baby

Fun Fact: I got this on the same day as Sepultura's 'Against' album, another new chapter in a band I really liked's career.
I love most of QOTSA's stuff. This too.

Josh is still one of the best frontmen in the business imho.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM

07/06 -- U2
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

98. Broken Social Scene

Released on October 5th, 2005
Label: Arts & Crafts
Genre: indie rock
I first heard this: in early 2006, probably around March

A Canadian band that I doubt many people on this forum have ever heard of. But they’re pretty popular in Canada. I usually hate most radio rock but Broken Social Scene do something a bit different. It’s not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus music and it doesn’t sound a bit like Three Days Grace. Broken Social Scene was basically two guys at the core who invited friends to come and play and on their albums you had everyone just doing their thing but making it work in the end. It could’ve been a mess but it turned out really good. They were/are a pretty creative band and on the self-titled album they took it to a whole other level. It was a very experimental, spastic and almost improvisational album. Lot's of layers, lots going on. Some may call it noisy and unfocused. I think it's brilliant. It’s too bad they go away for years at a time because I’d love more music from them.

Favorite Song: Superconnected

Full Album

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-22-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 AM

97. Kittens - Tiger Comet

Released in 1995
Label: Sonic Unyon
Genre: noise rock
I first heard this: sometime in the late-1990's

No, this isn’t Kittie (the band that almost caused the death of music in the late 1990’s). This is Kittens, the manic three-piece noise band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. They’ve always reminded me of Today is the Day but stripped down to the most simplistic basics. Their riffs are usually one or two note progressions, the drumming and bass is just a constant rhythm that follow along and the vocals are just slightly distorted screaming. But it works so well because they are able to do so much with so little. Some of the scariest music you’ll ever hear from three of the most normal looking guys you’ll ever see. Listen to the first verse of Hornet and tell me something isn’t wrong with that guy when he laughs/screams. This album could’ve been higher if it weren’t for the fact that it actually gives me a bit of a headache after a half hour. It never lets down.

Favorite Song: Hornet

Full Album

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-22-2014 at 09:19 AM.