Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

BRUTAL TRUTH to end in October 2014

A Message From Dan Lilker:

I regret to inform Brutal Truth fans that as of October 18th, 2014, I will be retiring from being a full time recording and touring musician. That date is my 50th birthday, so I chose it symbolically as a significant milestone to make such a weighty decision.

As a lot of you know, I've been an active member of the metal scene since the early 80s with the thrash metal bands I've been in before the formation of Brutal Truth in 1990, and I'm simply just tired of the rigors of touring mostly. Unlike some of my peers from the 80's who went on to sell millions of records I have always been drawn to extreme underground metal.

I don't care about staying in 5 star hotels and having a big cushy tour bus but I am getting tired of squeezing into a van for 8 hours after all these years on the road. I have always played what I believe in and that is been priority #1, but the time has come to have a little bit more stability in my life. Brutal Truth will still be active on the touring front until mid-October and will aim to do as much as we can in the next 9 months or so.

After that, I will still have creative output with my 2 local bands in Rochester NY, Nokturnal Hellstorm and Blurring and do the occasional project tour, but yes, as of mid-October, Brutal Truth will no longer exist. I do realize that will be an extreme disappointment to all the grind freaks out there that have supported this band so rabidly all these years, and your enthusiasm will always have a special place in my heart, but I've made my decision, and I hope everyone can respect that.

Please note that messages sent to the Brutal Truth facebook will not be answered as I do not have my own personal facebook page therefore I do not have access.

Thanks, Dan Lilker

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Dittohead

This makes me sad This was one of (if not the most) influential bands that got me into extreme metal and one of my favs bands of all time. Need to Control is still one of my fav albums ever! However, I was lucky enough to see them a few times throough the years.

The first most notably with Cannibal Corpse at Foufounes back in '97 a few days before my birthday on the Kill, Trend, Suicide tour. Passin doobs back n forth with Dan on stage, then hanging with all of them afterwards and getting just generally bombed! Got stuck in a ditch from an ice storm on the way home that night too! Twas a good night to remember, from what I can remember! LOL

Then again in 2009 at Maverick's in Ottawa, they played all of Evolution Through Revolution I chatted with Kevin before the show, lighting up beforehand, then hanged with them again afterwards. Funny story was, it was the last show of that cycle for their tour and Kevin was on his way to the airport to fly home for a wedding while the rest were taking the van home. He was so worried about going through customs all high and stinking of weed! Rich Hoak, who is one incredibly amazing drummer, had so much weed on him, he was freaking cuz they were heading across the border that night and he insisted that we all smoke it...so we lit it all up! My buddy rolled what musta been a 20 paper doob with I dunno how much dope in it!

In all, these guys were always really chill dudes, who loved what they did! Never wavered from the norm. I really hope that they come up North for a final tour before they are done! One last night of debauchery is in order me thinks!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM
That Guy

Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Would like to see them at least once before they're gone, but won't be too gutted if I don't.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I'm more upset about Dan Lilker retiring than Brutal Truth breaking up.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

This was definitely a sad thing to wake up to. I hope they play Grindcore fest or OE. The plus side is that Kevin now has more time to focus on Primate and VC.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Brutal Truth was one of the Grindcore bands I got into besides Napalm and AxCx. Kevins vocals and weird ass growl made them on of my favorite bands ever. I only saw em once and I was one of the few into it. It was great. Grind for life
10/31-King Diamond
Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Pass the steak sauce

With as much respect as I have for Dan for all of the great bands he's been in through the years, I have to say that Brutal Truth is one of the worst live bands I've seen in my entire life. I saw them a few years ago and they were a drunken, sloppy, horrible mess on stage. Best of luck to Dan, though.... I'm sure years of touring would get to you after a while
10/19 - THE KING
11/18 - Manowar
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Resident Slamologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackedUpForBBQ View Post
With as much respect as I have for Dan for all of the great bands he's been in through the years, I have to say that Brutal Truth is one of the worst live bands I've seen in my entire life. I saw them a few years ago and they were a drunken, sloppy, horrible mess on stage. Best of luck to Dan, though.... I'm sure years of touring would get to you after a while
That's the truth. Living here I've seen them a bunch of times, and somehow they've gotten worse every single I've seen them. Extreme Conditions is a great album and all but we're a long way from that, so I can't say I'm broken up about this at all.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM