Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM
That Guy

Almost nothing but hate on the last few posts, let's see how these go....

141.) Maudlin- A Sign Of Time

No this isn't one of my favorite bands maudlin of the Well, this is a band called Maudlin, which is a more of a Stoner, Doomy sludge band. The band goes from an early day Mastodon or Baroness feel to a dreary feel that does work. The biggest problem i have with this album is the vocals...sometimes they are dead on and other times they are dead off, completely tone deaf. But overall, if you are a fan of the genre, this may spark your interest. It's not your average album.

6/10

142.) Dug Pinnick- Naked

I am a big fan of everything and anything King's X related, they are my 2nd favorite rock band behind Dredg. Dug is a personal hero of mine because of his musicality, songwriting, and they fact he gives zero fucks about what people think of him and what he does and beleives. His latest solo album, while not his best work this year, it is a damn heavy and fun album to listen to. If you are a fan of the mid era King's X (Dogman, etc) then you should dig this album a lot, although unlike those albums, Ty and Jerry's backups are sorely missed, but alas, that comes with a solo album.

7/10

143.) Blood Ceremony- The Eldritch Dark

This may just be the best Blood Ceremony album to date. They never fail to disappoint. This album is a bit more accessible than previous albums have been but this one doesn't lack the ass kicking Jethro Tull inspired evil 70's Prog Rock that made me fall in love with the band. Overall just killer from start to finish. Wonderful stuff!

9.5/10

144.) Byzantine- S/T

Arguably the most underrated band to come out of the 2000's. these guys have NEVER got the recognition they have deserved. every album is so very different from the next and this time around they show off their Prog Groove Thrash. there is so much talent in this band that no one knows about that not even a review by me can do it justice. Just give them a listen and appreciate how awesome these guys really are. Trust me.

9.5/10

145.) H.I.M.- Tears On Tape

The AC/DC of Goth Rock are back. It's not bad, but its not really remarkable either. I was only really a fan of the older HIM albums, when I heard Wings Of A Butterfly I lost interest, and it never really came back to me, even with the heavier Venus Doom. It's on ok album, nothing bad, nothing really good either. Just a good album if you already dig them, but it won't win you over if you aren't already a fan.

5/10

146.) Hibria- Silent Revenge

One of my favorite Power Metal bands, Hibria is back with their latest album. While not radically different from their previous work, it is equally as awesome. fast, heavy, thrashy and full of cheesy power. If you dig the genre at all, it's impossible not to love these guys upon first listen. They are just that damn good.

9/10

147.) Deadlock- The Arsonist

Female Fronted Melodic, Modern Metal. This album focuses more on the industrial "modern" side of the band, which can be good in small doses, but for how much it's used on this album, it kills the mood for me. I miss the more melodic side without the industrial parts, but hey that's just me. They are still a solid band with lots of killer material. This album still proves it.

6/10

148.) Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse

Damn this may be the best and most versatile Warbringer album to date. it's a shame that it is getting overlooked on the grand scheme. this is the Warbringer album I've been waiting 4 albums for. Fantastic thrash Metal, but so much more. Thank you guys for making a grand opus of an album, now let's hope that sticks around for the next album as well.

9.5/10

149.) Hatesphere- Muderlust

Another great return of a great underrated band, Hatesphere, while this album won't be winning any awards, it is one solid Groovin Metal album that pummels from start to finish. When I saw these guys in 2010 opening for Nevermore I knew they were a killer band, Muderlust proves how killer they really are.

9/10

150.) Cult Of Luna- Vertikal

Post Metal done right. Taking What Isis was doing so very well and expanding upon it even more, although Cult Of Luna was around roughly when Isis was getting vectorized. Post, Doom, Prog, it's got it all and so much more...the EP to this album Vertikal was completely unnecessary and should be avoided at all cost, this is the one to get.

9.5/10
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

146.) Hibria- Silent Revenge

One of my favorite Power Metal bands, Hibria is back with their latest album. While not radically different from their previous work, it is equally as awesome. fast, heavy, thrashy and full of cheesy power. If you dig the genre at all, it's impossible not to love these guys upon first listen. They are just that damn good.
This is the first positive review I've seen of this record. Everything I've read suggests it was more groove-oriented.

As much as I enjoyed Hibria initially, I'm probably not ever gonna listen to this one because their material isn't the easiest to find, and I found Blind Ride to be relatively uninspired.

Quote:
148.) Warbringer- IV: Empires Collapse

Damn this may be the best and most versatile Warbringer album to date. it's a shame that it is getting overlooked on the grand scheme. this is the Warbringer album I've been waiting 4 albums for. Fantastic thrash Metal, but so much more. Thank you guys for making a grand opus of an album, now let's hope that sticks around for the next album as well.
While I still prefer Waking Into Nightmares, you are 100% right. This album is brilliant. Far better than anything Vektor has done.
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Far better than anything Vektor has done.
How does it feel to be wrong?
8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Crucial Mosh Achieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
144.) Byzantine- S/T[/b]

Arguably the most underrated band to come out of the 2000's. these guys have NEVER got the recognition they have deserved. every album is so very different from the next and this time around they show off their Prog Groove Thrash. there is so much talent in this band that no one knows about that not even a review by me can do it justice. Just give them a listen and appreciate how awesome these guys really are. Trust me.
Getting a strong Gojira vibe from this one. I can dig it.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

I am going to have a lot of reading and listening once I get time to check these out

I remember Byzantine back when they first started up! Didn't like them, but got a huge nostalgic feeling when I read their name

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Headbanger

I agree with so many of your reviews that it's almost scary. That being said you must have clunked your head for rating a Gwar cd that far over a Sabbath cd. I know people were mad about the Bill Ward thing but some of those songs are great songs with awesome riffs. Sabbath is a 9 and Gwar is a 0 to me.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM
That Guy

Different strokes...here we go again

151.) Eternal Tears Of Sorrow- Saivon Lapsi

Dark, Gothic, Metal with lots of Synth driven symphonics. These guys have been in the game for 20 years next year now and they sound just as strong as ever. Very Melodic and filled with sorrow. It grabs you and won't let go until it's done. Very killer stuff for those that want a bit of sadness in their music once in a while.

8/10

152.) Structure Of Inhumanity- Completion Integration

From Musical mastermind Jonah Weingarten comes this killer Melodic Death Metal band that features an all start cast of musicians that are too many to name. This album is so diverse and musical all the way through without it ever getting boring. Jonah has never let me down on any project he is involved in, it's so cool to hear him tackle MDM, and done so very damn well.

9/10

153.) After The Burial- Wolves Within

The only thing I wanted this album to be was better than In Dreams. And they did that with Flying Colors. This album is insanely good. It's not their debut, but it's damn close. It doesn't just sound like a Djent album, it's so much more than that. It's a Progressive Metal album that just kicks ass from beginning to end. Now hopefully the non-djent kids will see how good this album really is.

9.5/10

154.) Autopsy- The Headless Ritual

Did every Death Metal fan forget that Autopsy put out an extremely badass album this year or what? This isn't just a crushing Death Metal album like most of the best albums have been this year, it's done creatively and done with dynamics. It almost has a Celtic Frost meets Morbid Angel feeling throughout, which I really dig. Its too bad everyone seems to have forgotten about this album, it's too damn good to ignore.

9/10

155.) Hatebreed- The Divinity Of Purpose

You get another great Hatebreed album with this one. Nothing drastically different, it is Hatebreed playing Hatebreed style Hardcore and Metalcore. It is definitely solid from start to finish and any fan of the band will enjoy the hell out of this. I know I do when i need to headbang for a while.

7/10

156.) Steak Number Eight- The Hutch

The third time these guys have been on my lists in recent years, their newest album is a Dark haunting Post Metal album that rocks the entire way through. Easily their most dynamic and heart felt album to date, while not perfect, it is a killer album worth enjoying if you dig Sludgy dynamic Post Metal

8/10

157.) Sodom- Epitome Of Torture

Blacked Thrash Metal, it really doesn't get much better than that in the Thrash world. Sodom is one of the most legendary bands in Thrash and they prove that they are at the top of their game with their latest album. Their anthem S.O.D.O.M. is one of my favorite songs of 2013. It's with great sadness that I may never get to see Sodom live, but at least I can enjoy them on record, and this one is absolutely killer.

9.5/10

158.) And So I Watch You From Afar- All Hail Bright Futures

Oddly positive Experimental and almost all instrumental Rock. Like all of their albums, this is an odd album to behold, it's dynamic with lots of changes, more vocals this time around than used before, but its chanted by the entire band, and just in some sections. For a trip down, "What the hell was that and why am I so happy" Blvd. check this out!

7/10

159.) Suidakra- Eternal Defiance

Melodic Folkish Death Metal. Yeah that is a sexy combination. Suidakra have been pulling this off like Eternal Tears of Sorrow, since 1994, so almost 20 years. its heart pumping, its folky, its down right awesome. Give this one a shot if you dig any kind of Folk music, this will capture you in a way you didn't think possible.

9/10

160.) Wanzwa- Wanzwa III

Another what the hell was that instrumental album. This album is filled with musical cavalcades of craziness, almost like a Hella album with double bass and every musician showing off their skills. For a musical mind screw, pick this one up and go into it with an open ear, you will need it.

7/10
Old 12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
That Guy

161.) Inter Arma- Sky Burial

One of the most badass discoveries of the year is Inter Arma. Doom Metal, Sludge Metal, Post Metal and Death Metal rolled into one dynamic package. This is not your typical heavy band, this band knows how to kick your ass and then some. Almost like an American Boris without the J Pop influences. Be sure to be on the lookout for these guys, they are an unstoppable force.

9.5/10

162.) Lalu- Atomic Ark

One of France's best and completely unknown Prog musicians Lalu is back with another Prog Metal Masterpiece. Featuring an all start recording lineup, this album is full of fantastic Prog Metal epicness from start to finish. It's a shame at how little attention this album recieved, it deserves to be on all Prog Fan's top albums.

9/10

163.) Exvivious- Liminal

Instrumental Jazzy Fusionish Progressive Metal. Featuring Ex members of Cynic, and Stef from Textures, Exvivious is doing what so many instrumental bands try to do but fail, making fun, instrumental music that doesn't get boring without vocals. These guys are masters of their crafts and this second album from the band should be highly regarded, it deserves it.

9.5/10

164.) Portal- Vexovoid

Too Black Metal to be Death Metal, too Death Metal to be Black Metal. This may sound familiar to the start of my review of this album earlier this year, but it is the best way to describe it. Its ultra dark and evil with all the right types of heavy rolled into one. There is a reason this was in my top 20 for so long this year. Only it got shut out by other abums, but it is still that damn good.

9.5/10

165.) Darkthrone- The Underground Resistance

More Venom worship from Darkthrone, if you liked the last few Darkthrone albums, you'll like this, if you didn't this will not win you over.

5/10

166.) Cathedral- The Last Spiral

Sadly the last album from this monstrous band, Cathedral have been legends since their debut album. This album simply crushes. Fantastic Doom Metal and Traditional Sabbath loving Heavy Metal. Metal just doesn't crush like this anymore and sadly for Cathedral, this is for the last time.

9/10

167.) Dark Tranquillity- Construct

Swedish Melodic Death Metal adds Atmosphere. It's the best way to describe this one. The band lost me on their last album, but have heavily won me back over with Construct, they remade themselves again for the better. I hope they can keep up this pace for a while, they finally got it right.

9/10

168.) Ulcerate- Vermis

People either love this album or despise it because of it's production. I for one love this killer Death Metal album. Its unrelenting and pummels all in it's path. Yes there is some production problems but what bands don't suffer through that once in a while in their careers? Listen to this one for the music and the brutality, you'll be glad that you did.

9/10

169.) Heaven Shall Burn- Veto

Germany's Premier Metalcore band, Heaven Shall Burn are back and I dare say better than ever. Crisp, clear production, killer songs, excellent musicianship and a killer cover of Blind Guardian's Valhalla, featuring the man himself, Hansi!!! For some of the best Metalcore you'll ever hear, check out Heaven Shall Burn!

9/10

170.) Evan Brewer- Your Itinerary

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Evan in the last few months, giving up on the Faceless, but Evan made his second solo album a pure punch in the musical tapestry of life. It is of course driven by Bass guitar, but the keyboards and drums added for the first time make this a lot more fun of an experience to listen to. It's like the Faceless done as Jazz Fusion and no vocals. I love this stuff.

9/10
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Headbanger

Yeah I love the new Sodom and have come to the same conclusion. They're been at the top of my "Must See" list for over 20 years now. After the visa issues at MDF I pretty much gave up hope. Ya never know but I'm not holding my breath. Just glad to see them still making great music.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM
That Guy

I still have 70 albums left that did not make my top 50, but I am going to switch it to my Top 50 now. I want to get the list done by the end of the year, and with my current track record of being sick, it's now or never.

So enjoy the next 50 posts from me showcasing the best music of 2013!