Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

I didn't even know Ihsahn had (or was evening planning on recording) a new album until about a couple months ago, since his last one feels like it JUST came out. I still need to give it a listen.

I loved his first two, a lot, the third one was odd, still have a hard time getting into it, then the next I just feel was a bit of a let down, good, but could have been better, IMO. He's still the man though, and not scared to try new things, even if it means losing some of his fanbase

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-10-2013, 05:34 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
86.) Feed Her To The Sharks- Savage Seas[/b]

Australian Metalcore. These guys would be fantastic if it wasn't for one thing that is overly used on this album that Deathcore, Industrial, etc keep using way too much lately....BASS DROPS. If you take that away you got one of the best underground Metalcore albums of the year. but those damn Bass drops ruined most of it for me.

5/10
Yeah, this sounds pretty awesome. If bass drops are your only problem with this, then I'm pretty sure I'd love it.

Also, you haven't heard excessive bass drops until you've heard Extermination Dismemberment.
9/27 Blood Feast
10/3 Judas Priest
10/4 Deceased
10/18 Satan
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM
That Guy

101.) The Goddamn Gallows- #5

Bluegrass with Black Metal roots....the hell? This is strangely addicting. At it's heart it is a bluegrass album but the Black Metal and Punk are there without question. It's quirky in a sense that you never heard anything like this before or since. If you need something that is damn near Mike Patton territory in terms of messed up music, check this one out for sure.

7/10

102.) Anup Sastry- Ghost

A Drummer's solo album. Anup is best known for being the drummer for both Skyharbor and Jeff Loomis' live drummer. This album is all real drums, but everything else is programmed (which I didn't know you could do) This is a real fun album to listen to if you are a drumming fan. If you don't like the Djent sound at all, you will most likely ignore this one.

7/10

103.) Giant X- I

A side project of Running Wild. This is more of a Glam Rock 80s album than anything else. Its a fun listen that is not meant to be taken seriously, just as goofy as the 80's Glam Rock scene is. Enjoy it for what it is, a fun album

7/10

104.) Mouth Of The Architect- Dawning

A fantastic album that went waaaaaaaay under the radar this year. In fact I have yet to hear anyone talk about this. While not a perfect album, it is a stellar Post Metal album that shouldn't be ignored. MOTA is one of the finest bands going in the genre and Dawning proves that point once again.

9/10

105.) Kataklysm- Waiting For The End To Come

Ah, one of the finest Canadian Death Metal bands to ever exist are back. the great thing about these guys is you will never get the same album twice. they are always willing to experiment all while keeping their sound. Kataklysm wins again with this phenomenal epic Death Metal masterpiece.

9.5/10

106.) Children Of Bodom- Halo Of Blood

FINALLY a COB album that doesn't suck. That hasn't happened since Are You Dead Yet? This album is fantastic from start to finish and I totally blame Peter of Hypocrisy for this not sucking. It's about time Alexi realized what the band was missing, good songs. This album is chalk full of killer tunes. Now I actually wanna see them live to see if they can pull this off.

9/10

107.) Woe- Withdrawal

One of the best Black Metal albums of the year. Unrelenting, furious, dark melodies and excellent musicianship and songwriting. That's all you need to know, this is a sure fire win in every sense of the word.

9.5/10

108.) Degradead- The Monster Within

The best way I can describe these guys is Deadlock without any female vocals. it's got the same Modern Metal tinge that makes Deadlock so much fun to listen to. Catchy, heavy and fun. Check this one out for a good idea of what Euro Modern Metal is all about.

8/10

109.) Biffy Clyro- Opposites

I've said it before about these guys and I will say it again. These guys are what Freak Kitchen would be without the technical wizardry of Mattias of Freak Kitchen. This double album is a fun, quirky Alternative, Progressive Rock album. I'd love to say these guys are going to become huge in the states, but I know better, if they do they will start to suck like Muse does now and if they never catch on, the masses will miss some of the best rock music made. It's a catch 22 for sure.

9/10

110.) Moss Of Moonlight- Winterwheel

Atmospheric Folk mixed with Black Metal. the folk definitely comes first with this band, and it is a dark, moody, depressing album. Almost a female vocaled version of Agalloch, while being a 2 piece band. Don't ignore this one, especially with it being FREE on bandcamp. It's a folk Metal adventure you won't forget.

9.5/10
Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 PM
That Guy

111.) City of Fire- Trial Through Fire

Burton C Bell of Fear Factory's Groove Metal band. Honestly it's better than the Industrialist was last year. It's a lot more accessible and mainstream sounding that anything Fear Factory has ever done, which can be a good or bad thing. in this case, it's different for sure. Not bad, but different.

6/10

112.) Evile- Skull

UK Thrash. It's amazing how these guys have NOT caught on in the states despite putting out so many solid albums. They are like the Dark Angel of Modern Thrash bands, so damn good yet barely anyone outside the scene knows them. Skull has some of their best songs including the title track. While not a perfect album, it is a badass Thrash album that any Thrash fan will love.

8/10

113.) Lightning Swords of Death- Baphometic Chaosium

One of the best Black Metal bands to ever exist. Their blend of Black Metal takes on all forms of evil and chaos and so pummeling that you feel like you've been through all hell when it is over and will make you wanna hit the play button again. For some of the most brilliant Black Metal you will ever hear, pick up this album immediately.

9.5/10

114.) Ash Borer- Bloodlands

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal. Long length songs willed with evil dynamics, so-so production, and overall chaos. This is an album for you if you can get past the production levels and enjoy the music being created.

7/10

115.) Annihilator- Feast

Jeff Waters, one of the best guitarists the world will never know. This is Canadian Thrash Metal but accessible. Many will glance over this album, but it deserves at least a listen for Jeff Water's amazing guitar solos, he really is one of the best around.

7/10

116.) Satyricon- S/T

Many consider the band to be one of the most legendary names in Black Metal. I on the other hand have always found them kinda boring, and I feel the same with this one. I like that they aren't doing traditional Black Metal and exploring their sound, but it does nothing for me and falls flat. Sorry guys, I'm not tr00 enough.

4/10

117.) Sevendust- Black Out The Sun

This is essentially a Best Of Sevendust album with all new material. Sevendust has always been one of the most underrated hard Rock bands that should be so much bigger than they are, this album again proves that point. From very accessible Pop Rock to near Death Metal, Sevendust makes another killer album. If they do break up anytime soon this is the perfect Swan Song.

9/10

118.) Deeds Of Flesh- Portals to Canaan

Brutal Technical Death Metal that is precisely well done. I have high hopes for these guys because this is so well crafted. Not perfect, but damn close. Bands of the genre should really check this album out and take some pointers, they could learn a thing or two.

9/10

119.) Turisas- Turisas2013

One of the stranger albums of 2013. This Folk Metal album goes all over the board from commercial music, to their traditional Symphonic Folk Metal sound to some very strange left and right turns. It's abrasive at first but if you give it a chance it is well worth the listen. its a very different album for the band, but it's a good thing.

8/10

120.) On Wings Of Wax- The Empty Bed

Instrumental Progressive Post Metal. This is a very cool discovery from Australia. Take Karnivool, Periphery, Cloudkicker, and Isis in the same band and you got this one man project down to a T. This is incredible stuff that would be a total shame to ignore. So please check it out.

9/10
Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 AM
That Guy

121.) Battlesoul- Tir Na Nog

Canadian Folk Metal. Not this isn't the similar named Battlecross, these guys are much more up my alley. Heavy, thrashy, and Folky. I am actually shocked that these guys haven't caught on, maybe again it has to do with having a very similar name to Battlecross. These guys are awesome and put out one hell of a fun album to rock out to. Bravo!

8/10

122.) Damnations Day- Invisible, The Dead

Bringing a lot of Power and Prog Metal influence, Damnations Day hit the mark on creating music that can go from Fates Warning to Manowar on the turn of a dime. It does get pretty samey after a while but in small doses this is a killer album worth enjoying.

7/10

123.) Primitive Man- Scorn

Super Sludgy and Heavy Doom Metal. This album just pummels everything in its path. One of the heaviest and doomiest albums you will hear all year!

8/10

124.) Apocynthion- Sidereus Nuncius

Post Black Metal. It's done in a more upbeat than depressive feeling like a lot of the Post/Atmospheric Black Metal albums I've been reviewing lately. it's crafted very well. The production is a bit on the low side but the music more than makes up for it. This is a sleeper album that hopefully people will pick up on at some point, it deserves the love.

9/10

125.) Black Sabbath- 13

Yeas I am one of those guys who wish that Bill Ward played on the album. Even with that being the case, I don't think he would have saved this album honestly. It's a sub par album. I love that 3/4ths of sabbath got back together but the album does sound forced and uninspired, which is not how I wanted them to go out if this is indeed their last album. Such a shame to tarnish their legacy.

3/10

126.) Della Nebbia- The Casp Of the Void

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal for you. This isn't your traditional Atmospheric Black Metal. it is Dark and heavy while having the eerie atmosphere in the background taking you away. Every track brings something special out of the band and grabs hold of you until it's over. I hope this band continues on because they definitely got it right and they kick a huge amount of ass.

9/10

127.) Russian Circles- Memorial

Russian Circles really outdid themselves this time creating the darkest album of their career. For the first time since Station this feels like a band album again. Dark, Heavy, Post Metal and the incredibly trendy Chelsea Wolfe singing on the final track (a first for the band). Just take a listen and let the music take you away to the dark undergrounds of Post Metal.

9.5/10

128.) Circle II Circle- Seasons Will Fall

Zachary Stevens and Co. are back with the latest C2C album. This may arugably be my favorite album from the band. Everything feels right on this one from beginning to end and incredible playing from everyone in the band playing the great blend of Power Metal and Prog Metal that Savatage kicks ass for. Great job guys, now just tour the US so I can see you live!!!

9/10

129.) Psy:Code- Cause And Neglect

Very Damn Heavy Djent with Hardcore vocals. It's an interesting blend that really brings out the brutality of the genre while making it Hatebreed and mid 2000's Metalcore friendly. Its wonderfully crafted music and well deserving of a good listen even if you hate this style of music, you may get captivated by it enough to throughouly enjoy it.

9/10

130.) Reflections- Exi(s)t

A very young Twin Cities band that has been catching their genre's Djenty After The Burial style and landing on some pretty big tours thanks to it. Their newest album showcases a lot more of the band's diversity than their previous debut had. It still has some samey moments to it, but overall the band is more polished up and actually writing music like a band should, for themselves.

7/10

131.) Battlecross- War Of Will

Who would have thought that 11 albums a part would be Battlesoul and Battlecross, haha. I should get back to this band saying that I have absolutely nothing wrong with this band and think they are awesome on record and even better live. War Of Will showcases this point exactly. Heavy, catchy and just very solid songwriting, which I love in a band. these guys get it right. The Pantera love is all over this album as well I should add, which for once, is a good thing.

8/10

132.) GWAR- Battle Maximus

GWAR's best album since Lust In Space. They absolutely nailed it on this one. Created great songs that are fun, heavy and stick with you. My biggest regret of this year was having to cancel my interview with Oderus this year because of my ongoing illness. It would have been the interview of my career. But again this album is perfectly made. Bravo guys, keep up this level for the rest of your career!

9.5/10

133.) Hate- Solarflesh

A fantastic Death Metal album that everyone seems to have forgotten about this year Sadly making this amazing album did come at the cost of losing their longtime bassist, its a shame too because it's easily some of their best work. It's heavy, brutal and just what you'd want in a Death metal album. Pick this one up for one of the Sleeper Death metal albums of the year.

8/10

134.) Bloody Hammers- Spiritual Relics

Again we got some fantastic 70s inspired Sabbath Doom Metal. The music is absolutely top notch but the vocals do get to me on this one. I am hearing more of a Marilyn Manson vibe than I wanna hear. but the music does somewhat make up for it. It's really damn good, and if you don't mind those type of vocals, this album will be perfect for you.

6/10

135.) A Pale Horse Named Death- Lay My Soul to Waste

The combination of Type O Negative and Life Of Agony should be enough to make goth fans jump for saddened joy. to me, I love Type Of Negative way too much to thoroughly enjoy this album, despite how good it really is. It's hard not to think of what would have happened if Peter Steele was still alive today. If you are stronger than I and look past that, this album is fantastic and well worth the listen.

6/10

136.) Inquisition- Obscure Verses for the Multiverse

The most different Black Metal band out there in my opinion. This 2 piece band does what they want in terms of Black Metal. This album in particular feels like you are sonically going though the multiverse at a million miles an hour. It still has all the dark evil satanic vibes that the band is known for but done through the future....and no bass. Its a killer album that no one is talking about.

8/10

137.) Hanging Garden- At Every Door

Very Melodic Doomy Death Metal. Not afraid to let the Melodicness sink in over this fantastic Doom/Death Metal album this album really shines from all aspects. And again, I don't get how no one is talking about this masterpiece. it is so damn good with no attention at all. Give it a spin, kick back and enjoy!

9.5/10

138.) Operadyse- Pandemonium

Unlike the name suggests, the vocals of this band are not operatic at all. Very normal Symphonic Power Metal sounding...just like the band itself. The keys and strings really take over this album along with the melodic clean vocals. Nothing truly groundbreaking on this one just very solid Symphonic Power Metal with some heavy string usage. it is a very cool listen.

7/10

139.) Iron Reagan- Worse Than Dead

One of the best bands of the year and easily one of my favorite band names ever. Iron Regan released their first album this year and it kicks so much ass. Crossover Thrash making fun of all politics, just as a band of this caliber should be doing. I love these guys so much and you should too. Super short, super heavy and thrashy and super fun, that's what it's all about!

9.5/10

140.) Tomahawk- Oddfellows

Mike Patton and his traveling band of Tomahawks are back. Going back to their original sound of not just being a Native American sounding band like what was done on Anonymous. It's a very strange album without question, but honestly, when doesn't Patton put out something that is strange? And even with that said it is arguably the most accessible Tomahawk album to date. its an album you just gotta go in and explore for yourself to see if it is for you.

7/10
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Buahahahahaha

no
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I'm just baffled at how the Sabbath album was rated so poorly. I think this is literally the only one I've read that trashed it so bad. Personally I don't understand how uninspired it sounds. I don't care about the Ward stuff personally. If they think the album would sound better w/o him than I'm all for it. This album totally belongs w/ the rest of their discography. I guess I don't see what you are seeing.

Regardless these are entertaining reads.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
132.) GWAR- Battle Maximus

GWAR's best album since Lust In Space. They absolutely nailed it on this one. Created great songs that are fun, heavy and stick with you. My biggest regret of this year was having to cancel my interview with Oderus this year because of my ongoing illness. It would have been the interview of my career. But again this album is perfectly made. Bravo guys, keep up this level for the rest of your career!
9.5/10
u wot m8? That album was trash. It was their worst since We Kill Everything.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
126.) Della Nebbia- The Casp Of the Void[/b]

Some more killer Atmospheric Black Metal for you. This isn't your traditional Atmospheric Black Metal. it is Dark and heavy while having the eerie atmosphere in the background taking you away. Every track brings something special out of the band and grabs hold of you until it's over. I hope this band continues on because they definitely got it right and they kick a huge amount of ass.

[b]9/10
*Dalla Nebbia - The Cusp of the Void*

Otherwise, <3
Loving the reviews so far! I think my love for Satyricon's new album is a very odd love . I find it better than almost anything else they've ever done... yes, even Nemesis Divina.

I still have yet to hear anything from the latest Hate album, but REALLY fucking want to get it.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
121.) Battlesoul- Tir Na Nog

Canadian Folk Metal. Not this isn't the similar named Battlecross, these guys are much more up my alley. Heavy, thrashy, and Folky. I am actually shocked that these guys haven't caught on, maybe again it has to do with having a very similar name to Battlecross. These guys are awesome and put out one hell of a fun album to rock out to. Bravo!

8/10
I haven't heard their album, but they're not very good live. Really, it was just the singer being drunk that ruined it, but when you open for a legendary band like Helloween, I'd have thought they'd try to put on their best effort.

Quote:

133.) Hate- Solarflesh

A fantastic Death Metal album that everyone seems to have forgotten about this year Sadly making this amazing album did come at the cost of losing their longtime bassist, its a shame too because it's easily some of their best work. It's heavy, brutal and just what you'd want in a Death metal album. Pick this one up for one of the Sleeper Death metal albums of the year.

8/10
I liked this one too, though it was the first Hate album I've heard. For some reason I never really come back to it though.
10/18 - King Diamond