Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
That Guy

And there is as many albums as some people go through in an entire lifetime, and i still have my top 10 to go.

Any guesses as what the Top 10 will include?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Carcass and Gorguts
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
And there is as many albums as some people go through in an entire lifetime, and i still have my top 10 to go.

Any guesses as what the Top 10 will include?
Protest the Hero and Steven Wilson.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
That Guy

And HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10.) Leprous- Coal

Leprous, while also being the backing band for Ihsahn when he plays solo shows, is one of the best rising Progressive Rock and Metal bands that have yet to break out. Much like Haken who are taking the Prog world by storm right now, Leprous are on their 4th album and are taking a different approach every single time. This time it's a bit less crazy like their previous album Bilateral was and more of a moodier album and less playful. More soulful and from the heart without the wacky transitions. This is a great starter album for anyone who wants to get into the band that hasn't previously. It still has a lot of dynamics, but they are from song to song instead of from different points in the song. Its a great album to put in the background and relax to if you are a Prog fan, this is a treat.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM
That Guy

9.) The Ocean- Pelagial

It's amazing to me how with a name like The Ocean that this concept for an album wasn't the first idea used. A concept album about the different layers of the ocean. Starting off Proggy and nearly poppy and ending with the Doomiest song the band has ever done, The Ocean hit it out of the park concept wise. The music of course is spectacular and I expect no less from the band, they have yet to ever let me down. there is a reason why this album is recieving so much praise this year, its because it completely kicks ass from start to finish. This band needs to be so much bigger than they are, maybe the positive reviews will help with that? If you want your music in a similar vein but different vein of Mastodon, you will love The Ocean. Bombastic, Sludgy, Proggy, METAL!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
That Guy

8.) Carcass- Surgical Steel

In speaking of albums getting high praise, this is the biggest Death Metal album of 2013 in my eyes and in the eyes of a lot of a lot of Metal fans. A lot of people were skeptical at first because reunion albums are rarely that good, if at all any good. Carcass blew that theory away with one of my favorite Death Metal albums since their album Heartwork. Those who don't like it think it is overhyped and merely a "meh" album. I don't see that at all. It is a best of Carcass album with all new material and I can't wait to see them pull this off live. They are Death Metal legends for a reason, and Surgical Steel is just another reason why.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Tinnitus

The Ocean and Carcass. I'm liking this top 10 so far.
12/9 ETID
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
That Guy

7.) Protest The Hero- Volition

I will be completely honest, I didn't think I was ever going to get into Protest The Hero again. Kezia was always their peak to me. Fortress was ok at best, and their last album did zero for me. But Volition....HOT DAMN! I'm not sure what sparked the fire under their asses for this album, but whatever it was, it worked. This is their best since Kezia, if not their best album. The song Mist, in particular, is the best song they have written. Having Chris Adler on this album playing non Lamb of God style drums was also a great touch as well. I really hope they didn't overstep their boundaries on this album and this is their peak, this is too damn good to not try to top on their next album, they proved they have it in them with this album. it is Progressive Metal PERFECTION!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
That Guy

6.) Deafheaven- Sunbather

Yes, this absolutely deserves to be top 10 damn it! I did not get into these guys this year. I actually got into them in late 2011 when I discovered Roads To Judah (Which I still feel is a quality album if not as good as Sunbather) so the Hipster trendy crap can stop right there, I've been a fan for years. Taking two of my favorite genres Black Metal and Shoegaze/Post Rock and creating some hauntingly beautiful music. This is not for everyone. Most will not get it. "Why is there black metal screaming over Shoegaze?" "Why is Black Metal this Melodic and soft?" because Deafheaven is taking a concept that has been going for the last few years and expanded upon it more than any other band has done in the genre. They honestly deserve all the praise they are getting, ALL OF IT! Now they just need to play in Minnesota so I can see them live But I digress. There is a reason why this is arguably the most hyped album in the entire collection of music I've listened to this year, because they deserve it, simply majestic!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
That Guy

5.) In Vain- Ænigma

Amazingly enough, only 2 people that i know of in my existence gave this album a chance. My good friend Kyle, and Matt Heafy of Trivium (Who graciously gave this album number 2) This is how Progressive Death Metal should be made. It takes all the best elements of Metal, Prog, Black, Death, Atmospheric, Classical, and Symphonic to a degree, and creates a Progressive Landscape that is unparallelled to any other band going. For the love of all that is Metal, give this album a shot, it is so damn perfect from beginning to end, and no one knows about it! If I hadn't discovered these guys years ago, this would be my discovery of the year, they are that damn good!