Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
I saw Iced Earth once, in April of 2004 supporting their last album that has something good on it (Glorious Burden). Damn I used to like this band ... but their last 3 albums since then are soooooo fucking boring imho.

Anyway the best thing about that show is that it made me discover Children Of Bodom who easily stole the show even with a 35 minutes set. Half of the crowd was there for them.

Anyway that was my rant on this once great band, too bad, it's also really hard to follow a band who changes line-up so often. The new singer sound great though

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Wait, you didn't like Dystopia?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Wait, you didn't like Dystopia?
Nope, the 3 albums, from what I remember, give me the feeling of a band that's trying too much, if that make any sense. They wanna be over dramatic on every damn song. I don't like it. They were better when they played thrashier and 'dirtier' .. in my taste anyway

Cheers !
powerMaiden
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM
That Guy

I can see people not liking Something Wicked Part 2, it's my least favorite besides Iced earth and Enter The Realm. But Something Wicked Part 1 and Dystopia are great albums. Part 1 is their proggiest album while Dystopia shines with Stu Block.

I can't fucking wait for April!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Death by Metal

Plagues of Babylon is set to be released on January 6th! Great way to start off the year
9/21 - Eluvitie
10/5 - Cheap Trick?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I can see people not liking Something Wicked Part 2, it's my least favorite besides Iced earth and Enter The Realm. But Something Wicked Part 1 and Dystopia are great albums. Part 1 is their proggiest album while Dystopia shines with Stu Block.

I can't fucking wait for April!
I feel like part 1 is really overlooked, for me it is definitely a top 5 IE album. I would love to hear something besides Ten Thousand Strong off of it.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
Nope, the 3 albums, from what I remember, give me the feeling of a band that's trying too much, if that make any sense. They wanna be over dramatic on every damn song. I don't like it. They were better when they played thrashier and 'dirtier' .. in my taste anyway

Cheers !
powerMaiden
There's a decently good number of songs on Dystopia. But it still felt fundamentally different from their albums pre Glorious Burden.

Though I must say Plagues of Babylon is a freaking awesome song, their best single in years. It reminds me a lot of something off of Horror Show for some reason.

Honestly Schaffer got insanely lucky with Stu, he can sing his face off and more importantly he can sound enough like Matt to be able to pull off anything from the pre Glorious Burden catalogue. And in some cases (primarily the Stormrider stuff/Burnt Offerings stuff) he actually seems better suited to it than Matt. I've seen three different IE singers do Angel's Holocaust live and I'd have to say Stu was the best at it in all fairness.

Quote:
I feel like part 1 is really overlooked, for me it is definitely a top 5 IE album. I would love to hear something besides Ten Thousand Strong off of it.
Aside from 2 songs I feel that Something Wicked Part 1 was their weakest album. Not really Ripper's fault, but musically it was pretty bad. I actually think Part 2 was a lot better overall but the standout tracks on Part 1 were really really good.

Then again I always felt Dark Saga was a lot weaker of an album than everyone said it was. Take away Question of Heaven and its pretty mediocre. My top 5 has always been.

Night of the Stormrider
Burnt Offerings
Horror Show
Glorious Burden
Something Wicked This Way Comes

We miss you Ronnie...

Last edited by darkguardian50; 11-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.