Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

GWAR -- Austin, TX -- October 26th, 2013

I arrived at the venue at...roughly 7:30 and went to grab my Nightstalker wristband. With a few minutes to kill, I got into the first few minutes of Zombex - and saw the short I was an extra in for the first time (Kat Candler's "Black Metal"); I thought it was pretty good), and then went over to Emo's to catch Goatwhore. Goatwhore, as usual, slayed live, and Sammy's onstage banter before the set (asking the audience to check his mic for him by shouting "rape" and "fuck", most notably) got the audience cracking up. The pit was near non-existent for the entire set up until Apocalyptic Havoc got everyone to lose their shit, and I got my head elbowed open pretty goddamn hard, so for the rest of the night (at least until GWAR made me red and blue), people were telling me how realistic my head wound was...

Goatwhore

An End to Nothing
In Deathless Tradition
The All Destroying
Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
Parasitic Scriptures of the Sacred Word
Sky Inferno
When Steel and Bone Meet
Apocalyptic Havoc

Seeing as the Goatwhore set knocked the shit out of me, I didn't feel like sticking around for Whitechapel, so I ran over to the sandwich shop next door and grabbed some food and much-needed water. I did catch part of their set when I got some merch from Goatwhore later on and from what I heard, this sounds about correct:

Whitechapel:

Make It Bleed
Section 8
I, Dementia
Possibilities of an Impossible Existence
Faces
Vicer Exciser
Possession
The Darkest Day of Man
This Is Exile

During most of the Whitechapel set, I spent my time wandering around the beer garden, where I started talking to some band about how the mosh pit was an analogy for some kind of physics involving free radicals...or something, before I went off and randomly ran into Phil Anselmo, who was wasted as shit and stumbling around in the beer garden, talking to his fans while his bodyguard tried to move him out of the area. I told him about how Pantera and Down were bands that got me into metal and all that groovy shit, and he told me something like:

"Yeah man, Down's pretty fuckin' cool and all, but the fuckin' chicks love the fuckin' early days man..."

I laughed and got a picture with him. A friend I was chilling with told him hello, and all he got before the bodyguard shoved (literally!) everyone away was a drunken "...phone calls with bananas...". No context, nothing.

...so that's our Phil story.

Literally two minutes later, we were walking back to the venue when I broke my concentration with my friend and his conversation to blurt out a "Holy shit, it's King Buzzo!" No fucking joke, Buzz was just chilling before the show, and in hindsight, I can imagine how crazy it'd look if a fan randomly came up to you talking about the show you played two months ago and all your typical fan conversation topics.

He takes this all in and just asks me one thing:

"...that blood isn't real, is it?"

When he found out it was, he started giving me some advice about cleaning up the head wound and to avoid the pit to prevent any potential concussions from becoming worse. Good man. So with that, I got another picture, wished him luck that night, and I wandered back into the venue to wait for the Melvins to start playing.

Even for a forty-five minute rehash of the August setlist sans one drummer, the Melvins still kicked ass. Buzz was insanely focused on his instrument, Dale was pounding away on his drums as if he wished to destroy them, and Jeff kept taking swigs from a small bottle of Jim Beam on his amp. They ended the show with a cover of Graveyard by the Butthole Surfers, which made the (somewhat stale) audience lighten up a bit.

Melvins

Hag Me
We Are Doomed
Sweet Willy Rollbar
A Growing Disgust
Let it All Be
Your Blessened
Night Goat
Graveyard (Butthole Surfers cover)
Fascists Eat Donuts

Finally, GWAR began to set up, and took to the stage to the sound of War Pigs as a tape intro about half an hour later. As usual, they were incredible live. Their stage show this time around included the meat grinder, three statues that spat blood (though only one was turned on), the Cuttlefish spitting blue goo every now and then, and a plot about someone named Mr. Perfect trying to kill GWAR to learn their secret to immortality, or something like that. Bonesnapper made several appearances, most notably to kill the new Pope, Justin Bieber, and the final appearance of Mr. Perfect. The band ended the show with two interesting covers and a whole lot of blood being poured on the front row. Afterward, I went about my tradition of making "blood angels" on the pools of blood and caught Attila Csihar's soundtrack to The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari next door at Antone's. Somehow, the morbid scenery of the movie, combined with the trance I felt from the music playing (play the movie alongside a Sunn O))) record, and you'll get a general feel of what it was like) and freezing my ass off due to the GWAR blood cooling off, gave me a...rather trippy experience, to say the least.

TL;DR - night two of HHFF went really well.

GWAR

Madness at the Core of Time
The Salaminizer
Hate Love Songs
Hail, Genocide!
Metal Metal Land
They Swallowed The Sun
Bring Back the Bomb
Pre-Skool Prostitute
Ham on the Bone
Jack the World
Bloodbath
Let Us Slay
Torture
Battle Maximus
Happy Death-Day
--------
Sick of You
Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car (Billy Ocean cover)
Baba O'Riley (The Who cover)
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 10-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
N00B

Mr. Perfect as in Curt Henning? that's amazng if it is.

Tags
goatwhore, gwar, melvins, whitechapel