Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 AM
N00B

Bands who have great mid-career releases but whose early and later works aren't good

Here's something I thought could make for an interesting topic.

Music fans, especially metal fans, always talk about bands who have had great albums early on and then start sucking afterwards. There's also quite a few bands who do the opposite, and start off not so great but then improve as they go on and release some of their best music late in their careers. But what about bands who start off not so great or mediocre, then release great music for a stretch before releasing some not so good albums?

This obviously applies to bands with a fairly big enough catalogue. I'm sure there's tons of bands we can think of who have 3 albums and only the second one is good, or something. I'm speaking more maybe of bands that have that longevity and a specific track record. Probably the most likely scenario with these bands is taking a few albums to establish their sound and songwriting chops, and then everything clicks for a stretch where they just release some awesome music before either running out of ideas or becoming uninspired and just releasing music that sounds that way, or trying something completely new that fails.

The first band that I can think of is Opeth. Maybe this is cheating a bit since their only bad later album in my eyes is Heritage, which i've spoken at length about how much I dislike the album, and Watershed before that was sort of "ehhh" in places. However, and I might be in the minority here, i'm really not a big fan of Orchid or Morningrise. The production has a lot to do with it, but the riffs and songs just aren't that great, and i'm really not a fan of Mikael's harsh vocal style he uses on those two albums. But then everything from My Arms, Your Hearse up to and including Ghost Reveries is just borderline flawless in my eyes.

Another band where this concept is more drastic is Cradle of Filth. I'm not a huge fan of them, but here's another band whose early work I don't like at all, when they were more of a "black metal" band (obviously never a full-on BM band but whatever), then have a trio of albums that I really like in Midian, Damnation and a Day, and Nymphetamine. Even those albums have a bit too much of a cheese factor (especially Midian), but Damnation and a Day's concept and music stylings with the orchestra and choir are really well put together, and Nymphetamine is just some good thrashy-ish music with some catchy guitar licks in there. But then everything after that just sounds so boring and uninspired.

There's probably more I could think of once they pop up in my mind, but i'm curious to see what other bands people can think of that fall into this category.

Last edited by AnthG; 06-02-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Styx is probably the only band I can think of. Anything pre-Equinox I'm not a fan of and they're previous releases aren't that good either.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

This is a really difficult topic. Edguy maybe? Their first couple of albums were really weak, then from '98-'04 they were gods. The next three albums slowly got worse and worse. They don't quite fit because their newest album is one of their best, but they've certainly had a few ups and downs.

Gamma Ray is the same case as Edguy. Relatively mediocre early work. Brilliant middle period. Then they started getting boring once they ran out of ideas, but have now released another great record.
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
This is a really difficult topic. Edguy maybe? Their first couple of albums were really weak, then from '98-'04 they were gods. The next three albums slowly got worse and worse. They don't quite fit because their newest album is one of their best, but they've certainly had a few ups and downs.
This depends on your view of the band though. I find their power metal stuff dreadfully boring. It's all the same. Whereas on albums like Superheroes, Age of The Joker, and Tinnitus Sanctus, they had loads of great variation. Those albums were far more interesting. So were the live shows.

Some bands have ruined this concept by pulling a great album out of their ass recently.

This is definitely tough... I can think of loads of bands who started great and got worse, and loads who started badly then got it right.

Opeth is a good shout.

I guess for me Bon Jovi would be one. I don't think the debut is all that good, and the last two or three have been pretty awful. But from '85 to '95 they were great.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Pass the steak sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
This obviously applies to bands with a fairly big enough catalogue. I'm sure there's tons of bands we can think of who have 3 albums and only the second one is good, or something. I'm speaking more maybe of bands that have that longevity and a specific track record. Probably the most likely scenario with these bands is taking a few albums to establish their sound and songwriting chops, and then everything clicks for a stretch where they just release some awesome music before either running The first band that I can think of is Opeth. Maybe this is cheating a bit since their only bad later album in my eyes is Heritage, which i've spoken at length about how much I dislike the album, and Watershed before that was sort of "ehhh" in places. However, and I might be in the minority here, i'm really not a big fan of Orchid or Morningrise. The production has a lot to do with it, but the riffs and songs just aren't that great, and i'm really not a fan of Mikael's harsh vocal style he uses on those two albums. But then everything from My Arms, Your Hearse up to and including Ghost Reveries is just borderline flawless in
I loved those first two albums..... and Heritage was awesome too. Just the intro to In Mist She Was Standing alone is orgasmic
10/18 - Anvil
10/19 - THE KING
11/18 - Manowar
Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Some people will argue with me but I don't like Enslaveds earlier work and their last three albums haven't been too good either. I pretty much only like Isa and Ruun.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Some people will argue with me but I don't like Enslaveds earlier work and their last three albums have been too good either. I pretty much only like Isa and Ruun.
Yeah, they're pretty stellar
8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Yeah, they're pretty stellar
I forgot an "n't".
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Rush?

That's the only thing I can really think of, but they have killer shit on all their albums.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

If Target Earth didn't sound amazingly similar to Dimension Hatross, I would have said Voivod.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 06-04-2014 at 08:03 PM.