Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Look at Queensryche's Facebook page, their forums, and the reviews on Amazon and then tell me nobody cares about the new album.
That's irrelevant. What the crowd things is what's relevant, so I'm judging it by the flat audience and mass exodus for the toilets/bar/smoking area when they played new songs. Especially when 'Fallout' sounded like complete shit (Where Dreams Go To Die sounded fantastic though), versus the huge response things like Child of Fire, Whisper, Prophecy etc. got, because those are the songs people want to see and those are the ones likely to get dropped for more new songs.

QR did absolutely the right thing with this set. European crowds would have been more than pissed to never get the Return To History set because of a cancellation.

Now, if they'd barely played any new songs on a new NA tour, after you already had the Return To History set, that's different.

Give thinking outside the US a shot. It'll do wonders for your perspective

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke

Last edited by ravenheart; 10-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Honestly, it has nothing to do with "thinking outside the U.S." The thing is, very little of the U.S. has even gotten the chance to see Queensryche. They really haven't played many shows here, and those that have been played are in very random spots in the country. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a bit of a music/concert hotbed, and they've yet to book a date anywhere near me. I thought they'd want to capitalize on the surge in support surrounding all the Tate drama, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost at Number One View Post
Honestly, it has nothing to do with "thinking outside the U.S." The thing is, very little of the U.S. has even gotten the chance to see Queensryche. They really haven't played many shows here, and those that have been played are in very random spots in the country. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a bit of a music/concert hotbed, and they've yet to book a date anywhere near me. I thought they'd want to capitalize on the surge in support surrounding all the Tate drama, but that didn't turn out to be the case.
To be honest, I don't think either of them has come out of the split drama all that well. This venue they played in London is less than half the size of what they were playing with Tate still in the band, even on tours for shitty albums, and it wasn't sold out either. Elsewhere the Dublin venue got downgraded, and the show in Oulu got cancelled altogether.

I don't think it's a lack of desire to capitalise on opportunity at all, I think it's a serious lack of opportunity and the random cities/venues they're playing is because that's all they can get. Same goes for Tate.

On this tour, if they were playing six new songs a night and dropped a bunch of the old stuff people have been waiting a decade or more to hear, they'd be playing to even smaller crowds, or at best the same size crowd with half the enthusiasm. Especially at the prices they're charging (last night was equivalent to roughly $40 for a ticket, and $30 for a shirt).

Where Europe is concerned, they should have spent the Summer playing a bunch of rock festivals, where everyone loves a nostalgia set, instead of the random little pockets of US shows they played. Then they could have come back in October with a new album set and everyone would have gone to see them again assuming they impressed at the festivals, which I have no doubt they would have on the strength of last night. Then focus on doing NA properly.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke

Last edited by ravenheart; 10-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Incidentally, I'm not against more new songs (the album is alright, it's nothing special), if they're going to play longer. They seem fixed on only playing 1h25m - 1h30m per night, so if new songs mean replacing the old ones they're playing, then no. If it's in addition to everything else, great.

They should also pick better songs. Fallout is the wrong choice when things like Don't Look Back and Open Road exist.

I'd still rather The Lady Wore Black and London were added than anything off the new album (given that Where Dreams Go To Die is already in).

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Tate's played in San Francisco twice in the last few months, so the opportunity is definitely there. I've no idea, however, how things went as far as turnout is concerned.

Regarding the set, I think they could stand to add a handful of songs, both new and old. With a catalog as large as theirs, there's no reason they shouldn't be playing at least two hour sets.

10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Tate's played in San Francisco twice in the last few months, so the opportunity is definitely there. I've no idea, however, how things went as far as turnout is concerned.
I'd be interested to see the turn-out if he comes here. I'd definitely go, because frankly, I like 'Frequency Unknown' more than I like 'Queensryche', but I strongly suspect most fans have "sided" with the others than Tate. Childish though that is.

Quote:
Regarding the set, I think they could stand to add a handful of songs, both new and old. With a catalog as large as theirs, there's no reason they shouldn't be playing at least two hour sets.
Definitely. And they used to. Another half hour of material would be plenty of time to plunder the best of the new album, and add another couple of classics that have been missing for years. They're forcing the choice between the songs people really want to hear, and the new ones, on themselves by only playing 90 minutes.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke

Tags
queensryche