Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 AM
N00B

Helloween -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 28th, 2013

This was a really great show! I'd never seen Helloween before, but they're one of my favourite bands. Even if I don't enjoy them as much as HammerFall, Edguy, or Avantasia, they will always be the original power metal band to me.

The night got off to a bit of a bad start. I got in line shortly before doors opened at 7:30, and there was already a great turnout. Nonetheless, the I went inside and immediately joined the huge line for merch (which seemed even bigger than the line to get in... somehow). By the time I got to the front, they were sold out of all three shirt designs in large. I get that they have to ration shirts and all, but they ended up selling out of every shirt in every size long before the end of the night, and they could have made a ton more money.

While I was in line, Battlesoul started playing. They play some folky melodic death metal, and it was pretty good musically. The singer seemed really drunk, and didn't even look like he belonged on stage. His harsh vocals were fine, but the cleans were terrible. They need to get rid of this guy, because they're a pretty good band aside from him.

After their set, I bought a Coldsteel shirt. If you find Troy Norr (vocals), he'll trade you your ticket for a Coldsteel lanyard. I asked the merch guy if I could trade with him, and he said I had to find Troy, but I never once saw him before or after he took the stage. The band themselves were awesome though. I really like their new EP "America Idle", and they played quite a bit from it. Here's a possibly out of order setlist:

America Idle
You Lose!
Blood Secrets
Ashes to Ashes
Dead By Dawn
Crackdown

Finally it was time for Helloween! It was interesting during their set that even though they included quite a few Keepers Pt 1/2 songs, this show really felt like a showcase of Helloween's Andi Deris era. And it really should be too. There's a lot of great material with him, and Helloween is not a nostalgia act. They kind of have to play some of these songs, but aside from the encore, they only played 2 old songs, and they weren't the highlight. Some of the new stuff was incredibly heavy. "Where The Sinners Go" was fantastic. It isn't one of my favourite songs from 7 Sinners, but it is incredible live. "Waiting For The Thunder" was probably the highlight for me because I really love that song. Even the ballad, "Hold Me In Your Arms" was completely awesome. The two encores were completely fantastic. I actually thought earlier in the set that Andi Deris doesn't do the Kiske songs as well because he messes with some of the vocal rhythms, but he killed those last three tracks. Definitely go see Helloween if they come anywhere near you, and now I'm gonna go back and listen to more of the Deris-era albums!

Walls of Jericho (Recorded intro)
Eagle Fly Free
Nabatea
Straight Out Of Hell
Where The Sinners Go
Waiting For The Thunder
Steel Tormentor
Drum Solo
I'm Alive
Live Now!
Hold Me In Your Arms
If I Could Fly
Hell Was Made In Heaven
Power
-------
Are You Metal?
Dr. Stein
-------
Future World
I Want Out
A Tale That Wasn't Right (Recorded outro)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
N00B

great review! seeing them for the first time in less than one week. i'm excited as hell now.

Tags
coldsteel, helloween