The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Spread the Metal Festival -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 7th, 2013

Spread the Metal Festival
Featuring: Suffocation, Kittie, Skull Fist, Augury, Crimson Shadows, Vesperia, Beheading of a King, Deathpoint, Wretchedpain and Answer with Metal
Date: Saturday September 7th, 2013
Venue: the Opera House in Toronto, Ontario
T-Shirt worn: Belphegor "Goatreich - Fleshcult"

Doors for this show were at 2pm and I didn’t get there until 9pm, so I missed a lot. I know some other guys were going to this so maybe they can fill in some of the blanks.

This was some mini-festival put on by some record label based out of Halifax, Nova Scotia that I've never heard of featuring a bunch of local bands I've never heard of. I'm sure there was probably one or two bands playing that I may have enjoyed but I can't stand in a club for nine hours hoping to hear something I may like. The show had a very amateur battle-of-the-bands feel to it. It was originally going to take place over two days but since the two headliners (Suffocation and Kittie) can barely fill a venue half the size of the Opera House on their own on a good night it got amalgamated into one night. The Agonist was the only other "name" band that was supposed to play at one of these shows and they dropped off. Judging by the turnout I'd be hard-pressed to believe that anyone (save Suffocation and maybe Kittie) was even getting paid. This was a charity show for some organization called KIVA, so maybe they weren't getting paid anyway. The show was very poorly advertised. I only knew about it because someone else on this forum mentioned it in their signature.

There were barely two hundred people there when I showed up six hours after doors for Skull Fist. The few people that were there for them seemed really into them. I don't really care for thrash metal so I can't say I liked them.

Kittie were the co-headliners. I respect Kittie for sticking to their guns and doing what they enjoy doing despite all the criticism over the years. Fifteen years ago everyone thought they were a novelty act created by a label. But the fact that they're still around today tells me that they legitimately enjoy making the music they make. So while I do respect them I can't say I've ever enjoyed them. I thought they were terrible fifteen years ago when they first came around, I didn't care for them the last time I heard any new music from them five or six years ago and I still don't really like them. But they weren't entirely horrible. I liked that they played most of their set seamless. I like it when bands do that. That, or they played four fifteen minute songs. I know they played Spit and Charlotte, and no Brackish (thank god). The only songs I didn’t care for where the later songs that were going for more of a “rock” feel. Their “metal” songs were actually pretty good. Their singer is very pretty now that she’s grown up. And their bassist is an eleven out of ten. So there I go, I praise the band for getting past the whole image thing and just doing their thing and all I have to say about them is how pretty they are. I won’t ever buy Kitties albums or go out of my way to see them live but when people bash them I will defend them.

Suffocation was the only reason I came to this show. I don't know how the organizers managed to get them to play but they're one of my favorite bands so that was all I needed. I didn't even know going in if Frank was singing for them tonight. There were even rumors that they weren't playing. But when I saw Frank standing to the side of the stage during Kittie I knew all was well in the world. I was able to get right to the front of the stage for their set but the sound was worse there than when I was standing a few people back. But it didn’t matter. When will I ever get to be five inches from Frank as he’s belting out Thrones of Blood? The band sounded awesome, even from where I was, so I imagine they sounded even better in the middle of the venue. There was a surprisingly scant few people there. Even less than when I saw them this past April. I guess a lot of people left after Kittie or had been there all day and were exhausted and tired. Or maybe Suffocation isn't as big a draw as I thought they are. The poor advertising didn't help. Note to promoters: I don't have facebook and a lot of other people don't either. So if you only promote on facebook a lot of people don't know you're promoting something. I don’t even think there were a hundred people there.

Suffocation
1. Thrones of Blood
2. As Grace Descends
3. Catatonic
4. Funeral Inception
5. Rapture of Revocation
6. Abomination Reborn
7. Liege of Inveracity
8. Pierced from Within
9. Purgatorial Punishment
10. Cataclysmic Purification
11. My Demise
12. Infecting the Crypts

There's another Spread the Metal Festival in Halifax sometime this month with most of the same bands, except Deicide is headlining. Judging by the turnout for this show I'd expect them to drop out. I can't see Glen Benton playing for free. As it stands I won't be holding my breath for Spread the Metal 2014.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
T-Shirt worn: Belphegor "Goatreich - Fleshcult"
I definitely must have seen you at some point because I saw someone with a Belphegor shirt. I was wearing an Alice Cooper shirt/Sabaton hoodie!

Quote:
Doors for this show were at 2pm and I didnít get there until 9pm, so I missed a lot. I know some other guys were going to this so maybe they can fill in some of the blanks.
I got a few of the sets:

Vesperia (incomplete):

The Swordsman
Huntress
To Times End We Ride

Vesperia were awesome! My old guitar teacher is the lead guitarist for this band and he/they are really talented. I'm generally not into the more folky stuff, but it's really well done. I picked up their album towards the end of the show.

Crimson Shadows:

Freedom and Salvation
Maiden's Call
Moonlit Skies and Bloodied Tides
Kingdom of Ale
Lost In A Dark Forest
Beyond the Mountain Wasteland

Crimson Shadows is always fun. I didn't really want to stand at the front again, but the venue was pretty empty, and I don't really want to be near any moshing. Unlike Vesperia, Crimson did not sound great, and I attribute that to the Opera House's general terrible sound, as none of the other bands ever really sounded that good (and I was standing behind the sound guy for most of the other bands)

Skull Fist (complete, somewhat in order):

Sign of the Warrior
Get Fisted
Ride the Beast
Like A Fox
Blackout (?)
Commit to Rock
Heavier Than Metal
Ride On
No False Metal
Head of the Pack

This was by far the best band of the night! The only song I didn't get to hear that I wanted to was "Commanding The Night", but it was a great set otherwise. At one point, Jackie Slaughter jumped out into the crowd and started shredding as he walked all throughout the bottom floor "pit" area of the venue. Overall, they have a ton of energy, and traditional heavy metal is always really fun. "Commit to Rock" was the highlight for me as that song just has a great stomping rhythm to it. Also, I think they played "Blackout". I don't have the EP it's on, but I know they played every other track off of it, and this was the only song I couldn't recognize, but other people seemed to know the words, so that must have been it.

Quote:
The Agonist was the only other "name" band that was supposed to play at one of these shows and they dropped off.
I don't think they dropped off. The promoter had to kick off half of the bands to get it to fit into one day, so I assume they unfortunately were one of the bands kicked off. It actually worked out better for me, because the three day 1 bands I wanted to see were still there, and the one day 2 band I wanted to see played (and I couldn't go to day 2 anyways).

Quote:
There were barely two hundred people there when I showed up six hours after doors for Skull Fist. The few people that were there for them seemed really into them. I don't really care for thrash metal so I can't say I liked them.
Yeah this was probably the emptiest I've seen The Opera House. Not a great turnout, and like you said, I couldn't believe how many people left after Kittie. I think it's probably a bit higher than you estimated though. I thought there were maybe around 300 people there during Kittie.

I enjoyed Kittie. I don't like what I've heard of their music, but there are some thrashy moments live, and the singer isn't bad. I appreciated that the singer seemed a bit more real in stage banter than the typical pre-determined tour banter. She knew that they weren't playing in front of the ideal audience, but I underestimated their draw as a lot of people left after them. Like you said, I won't be going to buy any of their records, but they weren't terrible.

Suffocation was ok. I like their music, but they're one of those bands that I struggle to identify a lot of songs (based on Effigy, and Pierced; don't have any others), and it came across that way live. Had he not announced song titles, I would have only recognized "Liege of Inveracity". It might also be the way they contrasted Skull Fist, but they weren't quite what I was hoping. I probably won't rush to see them again unless there are some great opening bands.

Quote:
The poor advertising didn't help. Note to promoters: I don't have facebook and a lot of other people don't either. So if you only promote on facebook a lot of people don't know you're promoting something. I donít even think there were a hundred people there.
Even when it comes to Facebook, I don't think it was advertised well there. This was supposed to be a co-presentation with Inertia Entertainment, and I think I saw it mentioned once on his Facebook page, which obviously has a lot more followers. Aside from that, I don't know how it was promoted at all. I saw the drummer of Crimson Shadows and guitarist for Vesperia mention it on Facebook, but it isn't really their job to promote it. Even if you don't like Facebook, it's worth having just to keep up with shows. It's how I find out about the vast majority of shows I go to.

Quote:
There's another Spread the Metal Festival in Halifax sometime this month with most of the same bands, except Deicide is headlining. Judging by the turnout for this show I'd expect them to drop out. I can't see Glen Benton playing for free. As it stands I won't be holding my breath for Spread the Metal 2014.
I think this one already happened. Also, it's likely the Halifax one draws a lot better because they've been doing it a lot longer and will probably get repeat business. Still though, they definitely need to find a way to get more people out.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 AM

I think it was a co-presentation with Inertia, but it wasn't even on his website until this past weekend. I think I learned about this show from your signature. I guess I would've learned about it Friday from the Inertia site otherwise.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-08-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 AM

The only other times I've seen the Opera House that empty were Amorphis in 2008, Green Jelly in 2008 and Enslaved in 2007. But this may have been the emptiest.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM

This article confirms that Kittie got paid a quarter of what they were guaranteed.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM
N00B

Im pretty sure I had my elbows on the stage right next to you during Suffocations whole set lol, were you they guy I slapped in the back of the hand when you got Franks high five first?

But anyways, although the turn out was shit, I had a fuckin great time! After getting lost in the streets of Toronto for awhile I grabbed a cab and got to the venue halfway through the first bands set. They were called "Answers With Metal" and the were pretty decent power/heavy metal except the singer was a bit iffy. Sometimes he sounded great, other times awful. Next up was "Wretchedpain", a death metal band from Niagara Region, and one they only local i had actually heard anything by besides Crimson Shadows. I kinda know the singer from going to shows in St.Catherines, and I was stoked to finally get to check em out. They play a somewhat simple groovy style death metal and were really solid live. Im gonna grab their new album which is coming out in a month I think.

Next was "Deathpoint", a standard metal core band. Not bad but not my thing. Next was "Beheading of a King" from Quebec and played deathcore, and just from watching them set up, which included practicing those stupid squat things and bitching about the samples not working or something, I could tell i wasnt going to enjoy it. Apart from the rare cool riff, they just chugged away. The best part about the was the guitarist hot girlfriend and their merch table,which they packed up and left the venue by time Augury was on.

Vesperia were next, and they fuckin rocked, probably my favorite local of the night. The lead guitarist was amazing, and never went overboard with the shred, but still let it rip at times. Crimson Shadows kicked ass too, although I think they need to cut back on the noodle shred a bit.

Then it was time for the mighty Augury, the band I had came to see, and holy fucking shit tits they were amazing. they blew my already high expectations out of the fucking universe! Hopefully their third album gets recorded soon. I should have the setlist later today, I dont know their songs by name, mostly by riffs and its been awhile since I have listened to them. Skullfist was next and were a ton of fun. My favorite part was when the guitarist got on the other guitarist shoulders for the solo battle
Then came Kittie who I have heard of for years now but also wrote of as a gimmick but were totally solid and rocked the fuck out. They really impressed me and were the best surprise of the night.

And finally, after being stuck in the Opera house since about 2:30, it was time for Suffocation, my third time seeing them and they did what they always do, fucking destroy! I had never been on the rail for any band ever before, and there was no rail Honestly what else is there to say? I got to high five frank multiple times (and the back of adamclark52s hand i think ) and Guy handed me his pick after the show.

tl;dr Check out Wretchedpain if you like death metal, Vesperia and Crimson Shadows if you like folky amon amarth meets dragonforce metal, Augury is amazing and Forrest is the best bassist in modern metal, Skullfist if youre stuck in the 80's and love to have fun, and Kittie is actually pretty good

Oh and Suffocation is the heaviest band ever!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
N00B

Oh wow, that's awful. It sucks too because as much as there were a lot of people there for Suffocation, Kittie was the biggest draw. I'll definitely be boycotting anything this promoter does once I see it confirmed from the band/another source.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
Im pretty sure I had my elbows on the stage right next to you during Suffocations whole set lol, were you they guy I slapped in the back of the hand when you got Franks high five first?
!
Yup, I felt a little bad about that so I gave you the next one.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Oh wow, that's awful. It sucks too because as much as there were a lot of people there for Suffocation, Kittie was the biggest draw. I'll definitely be boycotting anything this promoter does once I see it confirmed from the band/another source.
I don't think this was an Inertia show initially. I think the promoter, whoever it was, was having a hard time selling tickets so he asked Inertia for help later on. I remember buying my ticket last month and thinking it was odd that the Ineria logo was nowhere to be seen on the poster. Inertia doesn't promote their shows that well either but this show wasn't on their web page until Thursday or Friday.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Tags
crimson shadows, kittie, skull fist, suffocation, vesperia