Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Old 08-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Mastodon -- Norfolk, VA -- August 13th, 2013

This was one of a handful of headline shows that Mastodon did following Mayhem Festival, I feel like we got pretty lucky to get this as this part of Virginia is not a big market. The last time Mastodon played here was in 2011 but I was out of the country so this was my first time seeing them in a hometown setting. The two openers were both local bands, one of which I recognized from high school. I remember an acquaintance talking about his band back in my junior year of High School and as it turns it was his band that was the first opener. They only got 20 minutes and they weren't hooked up to the PA system, I don't think I've ever seen that before. The next opener got about 40 minutes, there's not much to say about them though.

Mastodon came on without much of an intro and just did their thing. My friends and I were in between Troy and Bill. Troy is really improving as a frontman as the years go by and is always great fun to watch. Bill is fairly rigid up on stage but it's fun to watch him closely because he really does a great job, he's just not flashy at all. We had a lot of trouble hearing Brent most of the night and it seemed like he had some major technical problems during Curl of the Burl. Brann sung most of his parts on that song for him which I thought was weird. The setlist was a whole lot of The Hunter, it'll be interesting to see how much is included in future sets once they have a new album out. Oblivion was a good track to hear again and Blood and Thunder is always a monster. I wish they had played Creature Lives off the new album though because that's the only track from it that I haven't seen. Overall it was a really cool show. My little brother went with us and it was his first show on the rail, pretty good for a 13 year old I'd say. He had a lot of fun and at the end of the set both of us caught picks from Bill.

They had pretty sweet merch as usual, a lot of signed posters this time around. One thing I noticed is that Brent seems to have lost a lot of weight. We saw him before the show and while he didn't seem terribly drunk, he seemed to have some trouble walking down the sidewalk straight.

1. Black Tongue
2. Crystal Skull
3. Dry Bone Valley
4. Thickening
5. Megalodon
6. Oblivion
7. The Hunter
8. Octopus Has No Friends
9. Stargasm
10. Blasteroid
11. Crack the Skye
12. All the Heavy Lifting
13. Spectrelight
14. Bedazzled Fingernails
15. Curl of the Burl
16. Iron Tusk
17. March of the Fire Ants
18. Blood and Thunder
19. The Sparrow
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
N00B

I bet you they will completely ignore The Hunter for 10+ years after the new album comes out and then people will go back and look at these setlists and say "Man, I wish I had seen them when they were touring The Hunter. They used to play 8-12 songs from the album every show!"
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Crucial Mosh Achieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil709 View Post
I bet you they will completely ignore The Hunter for 10+ years after the new album comes out and then people will go back and look at these setlists and say "Man, I wish I had seen them when they were touring The Hunter. They used to play 8-12 songs from the album every show!"
Hmmm, let me think about that...

Nah.
10/31 Amon Amarth (?)
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Flying Whales is about fat chicks crowdsurfing.

Say what you will about Mastodon, they sure as hell support their new material.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
Say what you will about Mastodon, they sure as hell support their new material.
And that's annoying. Bands should of course support new material...but jesus. People go to see the band play stuff from all the albums, not just 1.
Tom Petty
Louder than Life Fest
ADTR/BMTH
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 AM
N00B

Every Mastodon concert review I read has something about Brent having technical problems. The five times I've seen Mastodon, he's spent at least a portion of the show scowling at somebody offstage or whining about his sound levels.

He either needs to find a new tech/sound guru or get kicked in the nuts really hard so he stops acting like a whiny bitch.

Last edited by Cross Face Chicken Wing; 08-23-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Your friends from Langley are back again...

I wish they would play Divinations more. That song kicks ass. I'd prefer that to Oblivion from that album.

Tags
mastodon