Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Melvins -- Austin, TX -- August 9th, 2013

Ever since I was 14, I've been wanting to see the Melvins, and I finally got to last Friday...well worth the wait.

On the day of the show, I remembered I had work, so I got in, did my shift (while trying to find a ride on Craigslist - I found one relatively early), and headed to the show with two of my friends. We arrived just in time to buy some of the last fifty tickets left and miss about a third of Honky's set, but what we heard was badass. They went on around 9:00 and left around 9:45; exactly fifteen minutes later, the Melvins went on.

The Melvins have one of the strangest stage intros I've ever seen. They interrupted the PA music with a loud piercing noise before putting on Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf", distorting it before the end of the first verse, and launching straight into "Hag Me". From there on, they started playing songs from across their multiple albums, stopping only once during Roman Dog Bird to inform the audience that two people fighting in the pit wasn't cool. One other odd thing I noticed; the band would start a song, start another one halfway through, and then finish that first song before finishing the other one. Night Goat/Lizzy and Hung Bunny/Roman Dog Bird had this fate. Around an hour and a half later, the Melvins left the stage one at a time, gradually removing themselves from a Butthole Surfers cover before the drummers decided to stop playing. I managed to snag a setlist and head for the door before things got ridiculously overcrowded; thankfully I got my merch ahead of time (they had vinyls for $20 - I think, shirts for $20, posters for $10, necklaces for $5, and shirt/poster/sticker packages for $40).

Overall, this was an amazing show and was easily one of the best $20 I ever spent.

Melvins:

Hag Me
The War on Wisdom
We Are Doomed
Sweet Willy Rollbar
A Growing Disgust
Let it All Be
Your Blessened
Night Goat
Lizzy
Billy Fish
The Water Glass
Evil New War God
Hung Bunny
Roman Dog Bird
Graveyard (Butthole Surfers cover)
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 08-12-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm happy your first time seeing them was a really good show. The first time I saw them I was utterly disappointed.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Your friends from Langley are back again...

I caught them for the first time last April and they were freaking awesome. I really wanted to catch this in Philly a couple weeks ago but couldn't make it. I will definitely see them again though. They are phenomenal live, I recommend them even for people who haven't been able to really get into them on CD.

Tags
melvins