Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014
Ash Borer -- Birmingham, AL -- July 6th, 2014
Cynic -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- July 6th, 2014
311 -- Sterling Heights, MI -- July 6th, 2014

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 AM
brotuhl

The Ocean -- Brooklyn, NY -- August 6th, 2013

Saint Vitus Bar is probably the best venue in New York. I love this place. The people that run it are genuinely good people, and the shows they bring are ALWAYS insane. I still can't get over the fact that I'll be seeing Carcass there, but that'll be a different story for another day.

Opening band was Black Table. Very interesting mix of post-hardcore with a little bit of black metal to their sound. Unfortunately, their sound was a little too muddy to make out at certian points, so hearing them on their bandcamp, helps put them in a better perspective (especially since I can hear their bass player, now). Check them out!

Next was The Binary Code, who I missed, unfortunately. I walked around outside Williamsburg for a bit and ended up getting a little lost. I got back right when they walked off stage. I've heard good things, though...

Then, Family, who slays, played. I'm fairly certain they only played new material tonight, so I don't know any of the songs in their set. These guys are on Robin Stap's label, Pelagic records. If you're an Ocean fan, you'll dig these guys a lot.

And then came The [fucking] Ocean. These guys are always an energetic show. This was, as you can tell by now, an off-date of the Summer's Laughter tour, so they played a full set. I was excited to hear the new album in its entirety, but they cut 2 songs out (both of which happen to be a couple of the best tracks on it). Their drummer, Luc, is still recovering - from what I can tell - from a recent development of Gout, so he was a little off in a couple songs, but nothing that lasted more than a bar or 2 in each. These guys are a very tight band, and seeing them in the setting of Saint Vitus Bar for a second time was a lot of fun. Originally, they were going to stop after Orosirian, but the crowd demanded one more song. In the final encore, Loic had EVERYONE in the audience come up on stage. Shit was intense.

Here's the set:

Epipelagic (recording)
Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny
Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
Bathyalpelagic II: The Wish In Dreams
Abyssopelagic I: Boundless Vasts
Hadopelagic I: Omen of the Deep
Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe
Demersal: Cognitive Dissonance
Benthic: The Origin of Our Wishes

Firmament
The Grand Inquisitor II: Roots & Locusts
Orosirian

The City in the Sea
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus

Last edited by Polock91; 08-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 AM
N00B

Sounds like a good time! I was very unfortunate to be at the one show during the Summer Slaughter tour that he couldn't play due to this gout flare up I was looking forward to seeing them the most. That set looks pretty nice....jealous.

Tags
black table, family, the binary code, the ocean