Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

To the fine folks in the Seattle area, your help please

Hello- plain and simple: I am thinking hard about moving to Seattle and surrounding area; I've lived in Colorado my whole life and love it here but I need to expand my wings, and Seattle has always interested me. I recently graduated with a Masters in School Counseling and will be looking into schools I am planning a short trip in the new few months to scout and I have a general idea of what I want to look it, but for those members here who are in Seattle or have lived there, I need some advice

1- Where do you think would be some good places to look to live? While I would prefer lower rent, I am more interest in quality of living- access to public transportation, easy to get around, places in Seattle that are better than others, etc.

2- Outside of Seattle any suggestions?

3- For those who have kids, was/is your kids education good and where at?

4- And most importantly, how is the music scene?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Prepare for bandwagon annoying Seahawks fans

Although being from Denver, I guess you're used to that kind of thing
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Prepare for bandwagon annoying Seahawks fans

Although being from Denver, I guess you're used to that kind of thing
You know what I stuck around doing the horrid Tebow years buddy

But I'll have to keep my fandom under wraps as I'm sure I would not hear the end of it from TEH 12TH MEN
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post
Hello- plain and simple: I am thinking hard about moving to Seattle and surrounding area; I've lived in Colorado my whole life and love it here but I need to expand my wings, and Seattle has always interested me. I recently graduated with a Masters in School Counseling and will be looking into schools I am planning a short trip in the new few months to scout and I have a general idea of what I want to look it, but for those members here who are in Seattle or have lived there, I need some advice

1- Where do you think would be some good places to look to live? While I would prefer lower rent, I am more interest in quality of living- access to public transportation, easy to get around, places in Seattle that are better than others, etc.

2- Outside of Seattle any suggestions?

3- For those who have kids, was/is your kids education good and where at?

4- And most importantly, how is the music scene?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 & 2 - Seattle is a very expensive place to live, in the city at least. Even surrounding areas can be fairly pricey. I currently live about 15 miles North of Seattle in a city called Lynnwood. Its great, has everything you need, but getting to Seattle every morning for work is a mess. My lady and I have been looking for places to move in to some time down the road. Shoreline is just North of Seattle and have some fairly decent prices for apartments and living, and an all around nice area. Mountlake Terrace is a very nice little city in between Lynnwood and Shoreline, easy to get everywhere, blah blah blah. There is also Ballard (Northwest of Seattle), but the prices there have been going up and up and up. South Seattle is a pretty cheap area, but also VERY sketchy (Burien, White Center ). There is also a neighborhood in East Seattle called Capital Hill (that a lot of Metal people live on).... but that place seems really expensive and I don't understand how any of them can afford living there

- Long story short: Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Shoreline would be good places to start.

3 - I don't have kids, but my girlfriends kids are very well educated. Her daughters High School was VERY good and really seemed to focus a lot on making sure the students had a great education and also a good time.

4 - The music scene is alright. The last 5 years or so has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, though. A lot of the "bigger" local bands have been calling it quits, and there is a lot of generic Death Metal, or bands that are still just looking to find their sound. Also, we don't have many very big venues for the "bigger" tours that come through, so be ready to frequent two mid-sized venues almost non-stop . But aside from that its fun and there are a lot of people to talk to, just don't get invovled with the elitists, cannot stand them here

Hope that helped

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post

1 & 2 - Seattle is a very expensive place to live, in the city at least. Even surrounding areas can be fairly pricey. I currently live about 15 miles North of Seattle in a city called Lynnwood. Its great, has everything you need, but getting to Seattle every morning for work is a mess. My lady and I have been looking for places to move in to some time down the road. Shoreline is just North of Seattle and have some fairly decent prices for apartments and living, and an all around nice area. Mountlake Terrace is a very nice little city in between Lynnwood and Shoreline, easy to get everywhere, blah blah blah. There is also Ballard (Northwest of Seattle), but the prices there have been going up and up and up. South Seattle is a pretty cheap area, but also VERY sketchy (Burien, White Center ). There is also a neighborhood in East Seattle called Capital Hill (that a lot of Metal people live on).... but that place seems really expensive and I don't understand how any of them can afford living there

- Long story short: Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Shoreline would be good places to start.

3 - I don't have kids, but my girlfriends kids are very well educated. Her daughters High School was VERY good and really seemed to focus a lot on making sure the students had a great education and also a good time.

4 - The music scene is alright. The last 5 years or so has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, though. A lot of the "bigger" local bands have been calling it quits, and there is a lot of generic Death Metal, or bands that are still just looking to find their sound. Also, we don't have many very big venues for the "bigger" tours that come through, so be ready to frequent two mid-sized venues almost non-stop . But aside from that its fun and there are a lot of people to talk to, just don't get invovled with the elitists, cannot stand them here

Hope that helped
Thank you very much good sir I'll look into the places you mentioned and hell if I do come out to scout maybe we can meet up for a beer or something
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Metal Legend

1. I have lived in U-district (as a college kid) and in Bonney Lake (as a working professional with kids). Seattle area in general has really shitty public school system because the schools receive very little state and federal funding. If you want to have good schools for your kids, you shouldnt look outside of Bellevue, Redmond, or Mercer Island. These three places are going to cost you 3 times more to live there. I can't say I'd recommend living anywhere really close to Seattle, but that's just me. I like the burbs...

2. I loved living in Bonney Lake. It's close to Mount Rainer and crystal mountain ski resort. The area was nice, and the housing was relatively affordable. The traffic getting to the city is brutal, however they have pay entry into the carpool lanes so that's nice.

3. Shitty... really shitty schools systems. Let me tell you why. When I lived in Bonney Lake we purchased a house for 540,000 USD. Our property taxes on this house (which was used in part for public school system) was 2,000 USD per year. I now live in NY, and the house we live in was bought for 320,000 yet our yearly property taxes for this house is 13,000 per year. So I would say these two examples are on the extreme ends.... WA was way too low, and NY is way too high. When we lived in WA we were going to homeschool our kids because the public schools were so shitty. in NY my kids get private cello lessons, science trips, accelerated math, english, writing, etc.... I would recommend that you really consider private school in Seattle area. Seriously, the schools have no money, and so they moved to a one size fits all education with no PE, no Library, no nothing. It's really absurd they are allowed to provide our future generation with such shitty education.

4. Best place for music is El Corazon. Best concert I've ever seen was probably there... 2007 At The Gates reunion tour. They get most of the main tours... it's not as great of a scene as NYC but it's pretty decent. you could do a whole lot worse.

Last edited by Nausea; 07-17-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
1. I have lived in U-district (as a college kid) and in Bonney Lake (as a working professional with kids). Seattle area in general has really shitty public school system because the schools receive very little state and federal funding. If you want to have good schools for your kids, you shouldnt look outside of Bellevue, Redmond, or Mercer Island. These three places are going to cost you 3 times more to live there. I can't say I'd recommend living anywhere really close to Seattle, but that's just me. I like the burbs...

2. I loved living in Bonney Lake. It's close to Mount Rainer and crystal mountain ski resort. The area was nice, and the housing was relatively affordable. The traffic getting to the city is brutal, however they have pay entry into the carpool lanes so that's nice.

3. Shitty... really shitty schools systems. Let me tell you why. When I lived in Bonney Lake we purchased a house for 540,000 USD. Our property taxes on this house (which was used in part for public school system) was 2,000 USD per year. I now live in NY, and the house we live in was bought for 320,000 yet our yearly property taxes for this house is 13,000 per year. So I would say these two examples are on the extreme ends.... WA was way too low, and NY is way too high. When we lived in WA we were going to homeschool our kids because the public schools were so shitty. in NY my kids get private cello lessons, science trips, accelerated math, english, writing, etc.... I would recommend that you really consider private school in Seattle area. Seriously, the schools have no money, and so they moved to a one size fits all education with no PE, no Library, no nothing. It's really absurd they are allowed to provide our future generation with such shitty education.

4. Best place for music is El Corazon. Best concert I've ever seen was probably there... 2007 At The Gates reunion tour. They get most of the main tours... it's not as great of a scene as NYC but it's pretty decent. you could do a whole lot worse.
Thank you for your honest take, I have heard both sides of schools there being good and bad; the same is here in Colorado there are some good public schools but most are crushed under lack of funding/support. Just one of the hurdles a school counselor has to face

I will look into Bonney Lake, my ideal living situation would be to be far away from a city to avoid the common problems but not so far away it would take a while to get there
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Semper Fidelis

1. I live in the city, so I'm partial to Seattle neighborhoods as opposed to outlying communities. I'm a big fan of West Seattle which is just across the bay from downtown Seattle and about a 20 minute bus ride to downtown. Ballard is a good neighborhood and also a quick bus ride to downtown and has a great bar and restaurant scene and some live music venues in the neighborhood, but parking can be tough. Capitol Hill is walking distance to downtown and has lots of bars, restaurants, and live music venues but is damn near impossible to find a place to park and there are a fair amount of quirky residents, which, depending on your point of view can be a plus or a minus. Queen Anne is near downtown/Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is located) but can be a bit pricey. Like John said, I'd avoid White Center which is south of West Seattle but be aware that some rental ads may describe White Center as West Seattle and they are not the same. Most of the east side (across Lake Washington) cities are nice places to live but the commute across the two bridges (one of them tolled) into/out of Seattle can be a real mess during peak times.

2. Commute times are key for me, so I prefer to live in the city. Seattle traffic gets exponentially worse each year and if they ever finish the downtown tunnel project it will be worse still. If you plan to rely solely on public transportation it won't be as bad as some roads have dedicated bus lanes but if you're planning on driving during peak commute times it will suck. We have a very limited light rail system which only services certain limited communities but will allegedly be expanded over the next several years. Don't hold your breath...

3. I don't have kids so can't really comment one way or the other on school districts though, as Nausea said, the east side cities like Bellevue likely have the better schools.

4. Most of the metal tours have lately been going to Studio Seven which is located just south of downtown. Downtown also has a few other venues (Showbox Market, Showbox SODO, WaMu Theater) that host metal shows. El Corazon is just north of downtown and used to get the majority of the metal shows but seems to be booking less metal acts over the last year or so. Capitol Hill has a couple of venues (Neumos and Highline) that host some metal shows and the big tours either stop at Key Arena in Seattle Center or the Tacoma Dome which is about 35 miles south of Seattle. There are other clubs in Ballard like Tractor Tavern that do non-metal shows and downtown has a couple of jazz clubs as well. I think the music scene here is pretty good and, as John said, you will definitely see a lot of the same people at the shows at El Corazon and Studio Seven. Most of the people at the shows are friendly enough though, overall, I consider Seattle to be a pretty unfriendly city compared to places I've lived in the past. That being said, I really do love living in Seattle. Hope some of this information proves helpful to you in making your decision.
07/31 - W.O.A.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Metal Legend

I wanted to add... If I was moving back to the Seattle area today, I think I'd give a real hard look at Issaquah. That's the one area of Seattle-area that I wish I had given more of a consideration last time I moved there. I think they have good-ish mass transit, and it has a good relative location to everything... I think it might be a little more trendy to move there now, so that might drive the prices up.

Edit - also on concerts. I moved from seattle 4 years ago, so I'd believe my El Corazon comment being out of date. That's a shame. I loved that venue.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post
I will look into Bonney Lake, my ideal living situation would be to be far away from a city to avoid the common problems but not so far away it would take a while to get there
The South end is certainly cheaper than "the city", "the Eastside" and "The Northend", but the crime and ability to get around easily is the rough aspect of it. I've lived North of Seattle my entire life and it hasn't been TOO difficult, traffic always sucks, but backroads are pretty easy to manage when giong North to South. South to North seems to be a bit more difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalEmperor View Post
2. Commute times are key for me, so I prefer to live in the city. Seattle traffic gets exponentially worse each year and if they ever finish the downtown tunnel project it will be worse still. If you plan to rely solely on public transportation it won't be as bad as some roads have dedicated bus lanes but if you're planning on driving during peak commute times it will suck. We have a very limited light rail system which only services certain limited communities but will allegedly be expanded over the next several years. Don't hold your breath...
Just to add on to this... they are working on the light rail station by my work (U-Dsistrict/Roosevelt Area) and said it won't be done until at least 2021 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
I wanted to add... If I was moving back to the Seattle area today, I think I'd give a real hard look at Issaquah. That's the one area of Seattle-area that I wish I had given more of a consideration last time I moved there. I think they have good-ish mass transit, and it has a good relative location to everything... I think it might be a little more trendy to move there now, so that might drive the prices up.

Edit - also on concerts. I moved from seattle 4 years ago, so I'd believe my El Corazon comment being out of date. That's a shame. I loved that venue.
Issaquah is a great area as well! My guitarist lives there, though, and it seems like the prices have gone a quite a bit. Plus, I90 is super busy and messed up now due to 520 being a toll bridge, so everyone goes to that one instead, which makes it a bit more difficult to get to Seattle in a timely fashion

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com