14. For Whom The Bell Tolls
15. -Human
16. Wherever I May Roam
17. The Outlaw Torn
18. Sad But True
19. One
20. Enter Sandman
21. Battery

So, around this time I had heard Metallica on the radio and liked some stuff but didn't really invest in them. Then a friend on my school bus (I credit the long school bus ride for introducing me to a lot of music) said if I like Metallica then check this out: Metallica playing a concert with a orchestra and I remember thinking: LOL A ROCK BAND PLAYING WITH A SISSY ORCHESTRA LOL GAYZ. Boy was I wrong

Say what you will about Metallica but this release was a highlight; many bands have done the show with an orchestra backing and Metallica made it work; a lot of credit goes to Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Orchestra, the whole album feels powerful, and once I gave it a chance, it turned me onto the band and pushed me to go after their other releases, starting with Ride the Lightning. One of my all time favorite live albums, S&M gave me the unusual route to Metallica

Today's score 9/10
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I'm not the biggest fan of S&M. It just seems like most songs have Metallica doing their own thing and the symphony doing theirs. It doesn't seem like they try to play off one another too much, which is too bad.

That said, I fucking love No Leaf Clover.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of S&M. It just seems like most songs have Metallica doing their own thing and the symphony doing theirs. It doesn't seem like they try to play off one another too much, which is too bad.
Basically this. The only song that really stands out as playing off one another or the orchestra doing something that somewhat fits with Metallica is One, which is actually pretty badass on S & M.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
N00B

I have really been enjoying the evolution concept of this thread.

I seem to know a number of people who got into Metallica via S&M. To me it is a very interesting record - a few songs work fantastically others not so much. However, Metallica is one of the few metal bands that pulled off playing with an orchestra to have the outcome be a very listenable and enjoyable record throughout.
04/24 - Nile
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
somebody somewhere

No leaf clover is cool and the rest is shit.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Staind- Break the Cycle

Don't worry I'm not letting this die, it has been very busy for me but I will keep this going

1. "Open Your Eyes"
2. "Pressure"
3. "Fade"
4. "It's Been Awhile"
5. "Change"
6. "Can't Believe"
7. "Epiphany"
8. "Suffer"
9. "Safe Place"
10. "For You"
11. "Outside"
12. "Waste"
13. "Take It"

I feel like the one band that just exploded in 2001 more than anyone else not just in metal but all music was Staind with Break the Cycle; I had no clue who these guys were outside of hearing Mudshovel a couple times and not connecting the dots that these were the same guys. This is the album I enjoyed the most in 2001 and also got the most work out of my CD player. BTC is a great mix of heavy tracks like Open Your Eyes, Can't Believe and Suffer along with very radio friendly hits like Outside and of course It's Been a While. Like them or not you have to admit Aaron Lewis has a serious set of pipes on him, and the band is not afraid to go after darker lyrical material with drugs, suicide and depression being major themes here which was perfect for the 10th grade me. It is too bad that they did so good on this album because for me everything thing else they did after this did not come close. As stated in my concert review of the Family Values tour Staind was a great live band and the material played off BTC translated very well live. I don't get quite as much when I listen to this today, but I give this album credit for not just evolving my musical tastes, but giving me a safer outlet for my TEEN ANGST GOD NO ONE LIKES ME back in the day

Today's score 8.5/10
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Close your eyes forget your name

Deftones- White Pony

1. "Back to School (Mini Maggit)"
2. "Feiticeira"
3. "Digital Bath"
4. "Elite"
5. "RX Queen"
6. "Street Carp"
7. "Teenager"
8. "Knife Prty"
9. "Korea"
10. "Passenger"
11. "Change (In the House of Flies)"
12. "Pink Maggit"

(note: this is the re-issue version with "Back to School (Mini Maggit) included which was released in 2001 while the album itself was released in 2000)

So going back to when I got The Matrix soundtrack I really liked My Own Summer (shove it) but never pursued the Deftones until 2001 when I saw the video for Back to School (Mini Maggit) and Change (In the House of Flies). I honestly only got the album for those two songs and never really got into the rest of the album but that is not to say the album is weak; in fact if I were to give it a proper listen I'm sure I would love it, as I did sample the other songs but I was in a one track mindset and only really focused on songs I had heard on the radio or watched on TV. I don't really listen to Deftones today but they are a good band and perhaps one day I will dive into them

Today's score 8/10

EDIT: Holy shit the picture is big I don't know why I use Wikipedia for uploading the album covers; if a mod can fix it be my guest
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Don't trip, bro. I always post gigantic album pics on my "50 Greatest Hip Hop album" thread. It's all good!
11/14 - Slayer