Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
N00B

Mayhem Fest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 28th, 2013

I know a lot of people have already posted in depth reviews and setlists for this tour, so I'll try to keep it short.

At first glance this year's Mayhem Fest lineup looked pretty lackluster to me. However, Machine Head was there, and so, therefore, I was as well.

Thrown Into Exile played first. I'd never heard of them before, but they were a solid way to kick off the show.

Next was Huntress... really good musicians w/ a unique sounding vocalist. I'll definitely check 'em out again on their fall tour w/ Killswitch Engage, Testament & Lamb of God.

Battlecross absolutely tore the place apart! Holy cow! What a set. Their singer brought his son Kaleb on stage for the song that was written for him. That was cute. They also played my favorite song of theirs, "Flesh & Bone."

Battlecross setlist
Never Coming Back
Man of Stone
Kaleb
Force-Fed Lies
Flesh & Bone
Push Pull Destroy

Butcher Babies were next. I'd never heard of them either. They were OK.

Born of Osiris was up next. They filmed a music video for their new song "Machine" at this show. The thing was... it was POURING rain during their set, so that'll make the video even cooler. I've seen them live at least 5 times now, and they're always fun. They can shred!

Job For A Cowboy played next. I've seen 'em 4x now, and previously I never thought they were anything special live. This set was different. They were excellent.

The mighty Machine Head closed out the Jager stage and rocked the place as always. I've often said it's not a real MH show if they don't play "Ten Ton Hammer," and they played it. I was right up front at the beginning, but halfway through "Imperium" I was getting crushed, so I moved to the back, which was fine. MH is simply one of the best metal bands of all time, period.

Machine Head setlist
Bulldozer
Imperium
Ten Ton Hammer
Locust
Halo

Children of Bodom had the tough task of following Machine Head, but they held their own. They were pretty good.

Amon Amarth opened the main stage w/ a stage set that included a viking ship (or possibly a pirate ship) w/ the Swedish flag. I'd never seen them before. They were absolutely fantastic.

Next was Mastodon. They're incredible musicians, but their live show is seriously lacking without the video screen. They still put on a good set, but as a live band they're kind of bland. "All the Heavy Lifting" is one of my favorite Mastodon jams, so I was happy.

Mastodon setlist
Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
Dry Bone Valley
Megalodon
Stargasm
Blasteroid
All the Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Bedazzled Fingernails
The Sparrow

Five Finger Death Punch was next. I saw them on the 2nd stage at Family Values 2007, and I thought they were cheesy back then. Now that they're big, my gosh, they've taken it much further. They use every catch phrase and cliche in the book. What "The Expendables" is to movies, 5FDP is to metal. Sure, it can be entertaining, but there is nothing original or noteworthy in there. The crowd ate them up, though.

Rob Zombie headlined. He always puts on an amazing live show, but I left after about 40 min of his set. It was freezing cold, I had to work the next day, and I got to hear all my favorite songs: "Super Charger Heaven," "Superbeast," and "Living Dead Girl." He went into the crowd during "More Human Than Human," and in the middle of singing the song he told someone to, "Put that stupid phone away." Hahaha. Afterwards he talked about how when you're dead you won't care how many likes or youtube hits you get, so live in the moment instead. I am always kinda surprised at how many people are goofing off w/ their phones during the show. I mean, you don't need to post on facebook while the show is going on. Just have fun!

I was pleasantly surprised at how good this tour was. Had Machine Head not been on the bill, I would not have bought a ticket. I can honestly say the whole day was fun. Maybe the bill was not as good as it was on the 2008 or 2010 tours, but I had a great time all day.
8/11 Norma Jean
9/11 For Today
9/12 hb
9/19 Periphery
10/16 PJ

Last edited by kevindeets; 07-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Super jelly you got Super Charger Heaven.
Mastodon does one thing right by playing Megalodon then goes and fucks shit up by ending with The Sparrow.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Wow!!! RZ does know more than 2 WZ songs!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Super jelly you got Super Charger Heaven.
Mastodon does one thing right by playing Megalodon then goes and fucks shit up by ending with The Sparrow.
Every fucking word of this.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Fuck you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
It was freezing cold
Send it here, pls.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Wow!!! RZ does know more than 2 WZ songs!!!
I met him on the tour and he said he hates playing alot of the songs because the crowd has no reaction
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
TiradesOfTruth

It was a fun show. Favorite bands imo were Battlecross, Job For A Cowboy, Machine Head, Amon Amarth, and Rob Zombie.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor

Tags
battlecross, machine head, mastodon, mayhem festival, rob zombie