Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Mastodon were good on Mayhem in 08. Before Crack the Skye they pretty much only had heavy material.
Definitely, their performance in '08 is what got me really interested in them. I don't know if it'd be the same if 13 year old me saw The Hunter era Mastodon as my introduction to Mastodon.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Definitely, their performance in '08 is what got me really interested in them. I don't know if it'd be the same if 13 year old me saw The Hunter era Mastodon as my introduction to Mastodon.
I saw Mastodon twice for Leviathan and they blew me away both times. Once was Ozzfest 05' w/ Iron Maiden opening for the original 4 Black Sabbath. Boy that was a gig to remember.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
N00B

To Bengals279, I have a question regarding the signings at Mayhem. you only mentioned this briefly during your review. I am interested in going to the COB signing at my date during the Mayhem fest tour. My question is: do you have to purchase anything from the band in order to be allowed to get in line for the signing? I have been to a couple of Mayhem fests in previous year and some bands have done this so I just have to make sure what to expect from COB this year. Also, will all the band members be there for not only COB, but all other bands present during the festival?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

They would fare better if they played some more old material but, and I'm a huge Mastodon fan, they really are a band that are much more fitted to a club-sized venue. I just can't imagine their music translating well in a big amphitheater in the middle of the day or whatever.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 AM
N00B

Mastodon did well on package tours in the past, but now they've kinda separated themselves from those kinds of bands and tours, makes them seem alot more out of place
Uproar
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Saw Mastodon on the initial Mayhem Fest in '08 and I agree, they suck in this type of package. Not a fan of their's, but I'd imagine they'd be better in a club.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 AM
N00B

Cojibo, COB signed for free. Just grab a Mayhem Revolver magazine when you enter the venue and they will sign. I brought a CD jacket and they signed it. One problem in Chicago both Bodom and Amon Amarth were signing at 3 PM (I think or at least overlapping times. Amon Amarth had their own mini poster that they signed for free too. So did Mastodon at 4:30 which is very cool considering they had a separate paid meet and greet. MH is not doing a signing this Mayhem. John 5 signed for Zombie but I did not go and I believe 5FDP had a signing too but did not go--I believe both of theirs required purchases but don't know.

All the other bands from side stages had signings (I think) but I missed them to see bands. Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM
N00B

Ok so you didn't need anything for the Amon Amarth signing. They had a poster that they signed. Cob was free but no poster so you had to bring something, I just went in line and shook their hands haha. Battlecross was the same but I bought a cd and a shirt. The John 5 required you to buy a $20 cd. Screw that haha. Signing times for Amon Amarth, cob, and John 5 were all 3-4. Battlecross was 330-5 and mastodon was 430-530. Ffdp and machine head did not do signings
Sidewise- 8/9
Soufly- 8/11
Decrepit Birth-8/14
Gemini Syndrome- 8/16
Hellyeah-8/22
Battlecross-10/5
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINEKILLS View Post
I love Mastodon but can see them struggling on Mayhem Fest. Its hard for their music to whip the crowd into a frenzy like heavier bands such as Bodom, MH & Amon does before they go on. They don't have much in the way of stage production like Zombie or FFDP. Mastodon is not a good fit for this tour. They were excellent on the tour with Opeth/Ghost & Dethklok/High On Fire back in 09. They are much better headlining a club.
I love Mastodon, but the two times I saw them on The Hunter tour, they were very boring.The 3 times I saw them on the Crack the Skye tour, they were excellent.

I thought The Hunter was just ok, and the material doesn't really translate well live. I hope it's not the direction they're going, because I'll probably be done seeing them.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Clearly since they're are my favorite band, I dug Mastodon at Mayhem. That being said, their performance could've have been a lot better. Loading the set with almost strictly material from The Hunter doesn't make any damn sense. I can see playing tracks like "Black Tongue", "Spectrelight", "Blasteroid" and "Dry Bone Valley", but the slower tracks dragged down the tempo of the set and don't represent their sound accurately to non-fans that are at the fest (Not to mention closing with "The Sparrow" is absolutely moronic, such a anticlimactic end to their set.) Mastodon doesn't have a flashy stage presence so that combined with a lack of their heavier material made their set go over like a fart in church. The Hunter material just doesn't have the oomph that the older stuff does especially live, making their set disappointing for a majority of people (even diehard fans like myself.)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Tags
amon amarth, battlecross, five finger death punch, huntress, machine head, mastodon, rob zombie