Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Avantasia -- Quebec City, Quebec -- July 7th, 2013

This show was awesome! Even though Avantasia and Voivod were somewhat an afterthought in the grand scheme of the festival, it was a huge event for any metal fans in North America. There was a guy sitting next to me before the show that was talking with Bob Catley saying that he flew out from Vancouver for this. I talked to a guy in line that drove from Michigan, and I know there were plenty of other travellers as well.

The first band up was a metalcore band called Never More Than Less. I didn't enjoy it at all, and the crowd seemed split on it. After 30 minutes of that, and a 15 minute changeover, the great Voivod took the stage!

I'm not the biggest Voivod fan; as much as I love thrash, their music is a bit weird for me. Still, it was crazy to see their guitarist pull off some of those strange chords with ease, and the rhythmic sense that band has is unparalleled by any other band out there. They played for close to an hour, and, admittedly, I only recognized a few songs. Here's a partial setlist that is out of order (except the last song):

Forgotten In Space
Mechanical Mind
Target Earth (?)
Voivod

At 9:15, Avantasia began their epic 2-hour set! Looking through past setlists, they actually switch things up quite a bit, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I saw the band do their soundcheck between 1-2PM and saw them play Twisted Mind (Oliver Hartman/Amanda Somerville on vocals), and part of Stargazers, so I didn't know if that meant those were going to be in the actual show or not. After a few songs, Tobi left the stage and Michael Kiske sung "Avantasia" himself (with the help of a teleprompter, as he had never sung Tobi's parts before). Tobi sounded fine, but Oliver later mentioned that Tobi had the flu and they didn't know if they'd even play. I'm quite happy they did, as I'm sure many others were.

This meant that for quite a few songs, other singers were taking over. I think Kiske and Hartman did the majority of Tobi's parts that he could not do himself, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I didn't write down the setlist, but looking at past shows, I'm almost certain that the songs are correct, but the order is not aside from the first 5 or 6 and the last 3.

Spectres (TS, OH)
The Watchmaker's Dream (TS, OH)
The Story Ain't Over (TS, BC)
Prelude
Reach Out For The Light (TS, MK)
Avantasia (MK)
Scales of Justice (TR)
What's Left of Me (EM, OH)
Dying For An Angel (MK, EM)
Promised Land (EM, OH)
The Wicked Symphony (MK, OH, TR) (?)
Farewell (TS, AS, MK)
Lost In Space (TS)
Stargazers (MK, OH, TR) (?)
The Scarecrow (TS, OH)
--------------------------------------------
Twisted Mind (TS, EM)
Sign of the Cross (all)

Singers are in brackets. I think Bob Catley may have sung one of either The Wicked Symphony or Stargazers, but I'm not entirely sure. Otherwise, I think those are the correct singers. As you can see, Oliver Hartman did a great job stepping up to take on a lot of singing parts. I was really impressed with his performance last night!

Overall, that was one of the most fun shows I've been to. They said that if Avantasia tours again (which is likely, according to Tobi), they'll be back in Quebec City!

Last edited by Spiner202; 07-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
N00B

EDIT: Here 's the VOIVOD setlist:

Klushap O'Com
Tribal Convictions
Target Earth
The Unknown Knows
Psychic Vacuum
Chaosmongers
Ripping Headaches
Mechanical Mind
Forgotten In Space
Astronomy Domine
Voivod

I like them, but thought they played too many songs from the new album (3 out of 11 is a bit too much for an album that I don' t really like.

I really LOVED the AVANTASIA gig. I'd never have thought to see them live someday and they played in my city, and gave a killer performance. I was really impressed by the vocals of Oliver Hartmann. This guy is really talented and should sing lead in a metal band. He was great with At Vance, but his solo stuff is too mellow for me. He's an excellent guitarist as well. Thomas Rettke was also quite impressive, the dude is really powerful. He quite nailed the Ripper Owens song (Scales Of Justice). Eric Martin was also excellent. Kiske did a fine job as well, but I'm not his bigger fan. In fact, all the band was on fire. I noticed that Tobias was less present that in past shows I saw on DVD and when Oliver said he was sick, I understood. But I thought he still sang excellent.

The 5000-people venue wasn't sold-out (like it had been on Friday for Bad Religion) but it was still quite full, with maybe 4000 people I'd say. And the crowd was really into it, which pleased the band. I was quite surprised that lots of people knew the songs so well, as Avantasia is still very "underground" around here, as are most melodic power metal bands.

The weather was perfect, the sound was also perfect for an outdoor venue. It was quite a magical night.

Last edited by metaleloi666; 07-09-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 PM
In Search of Truth

I actually came about 700 miles each way for this and it was worth every mile, every minute, and every penny. Got to be on the rail in front of Oliver Hartmann, more or less. Unbelievable in just about every sense of the word for me, even with Tobi sick and an abridged setlist. I was going to write my own full-blown review but I'm kinda iffy about it now that this is already here, haha.

Here's a few of my pictures:

Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I actually came about 700 miles each way
Now that's some serious excitement

That's roughly how far I've travelled to see them too. Never came that far, they aren't that good, but have seen them three times in Sweden (should have seen them 4 times, but there was a big fuck up with organisation at Sweden Rock 2008 that meant I only saw a few songs, so made up for it in Stockholm in 2010).

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-09-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM

@Maiden33: Those are some great pictures! Thanks for posting them.

Also, did anybody else think the merch situation there was really stupid. They only had girls Avantasia shirts? I can't help but feel it is the fault of the festival, because merch issues like this only seem to happen at festivals I go to, but it was still pretty disappointing. I'll probably find a way to buy The Mystery of Time shirt with the tour dates online, but they should have had those available.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM
N00B

Thanks for the cool pics! You got none of Thomas Rettke or Eric Martin?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
In Search of Truth

All of my decent pictures are in this photo album here. I defaulted it to the public setting so hopefully you should be able to see it. If not, if you're on Facebook, just add me!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0594097&type=1

And yes, the merchandise situation was absolutely ridiculous. I was so ridiculously annoyed. I hope I can track down an album artwork tour shirt online, they seem pretty hard to come by as of right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
All of my decent pictures are in this photo album here. I defaulted it to the public setting so hopefully you should be able to see it. If not, if you're on Facebook, just add me!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0594097&type=1
Awesome, thanks! It turns out I did see you (I wasn't too far behind you in line), but I didn't know if it was you, so I didn't say anything. It also looks like we stayed at the same hotel. I found my dad in the picture of everybody standing in line, but I couldn't see myself.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Also, did anybody else think the merch situation there was really stupid. They only had girls Avantasia shirts?
Chances are they've already run out earlier on the tour and haven't been able to get more printed yet. Happens all the time.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Chances are they've already run out earlier on the tour and haven't been able to get more printed yet. Happens all the time.
Yeah, I've seen that happen before too, but not that they literally had NOTHING but girl's small/medium sizes. It's one thing if they had been out of maybe XL, or Medium, or this or that. But just girl's small and medium sizes, and the merch tent was being run by festival staff and no one associated with the band. The whole thing just seemed a bit off to me.

Tags
avantasia, voivod