Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
- It's in a not great location in terms of transportation. Getting there is a huge pain in the ass as it's basically in the middle of nowhere near Polson Pier.

- It's narrow as fuck inside, so when they fill the place it's almost impossible to move around.

- The sightlines are terrible. If you're not at the front getting squished to shit or not at least 6 foot 5, you can't see anything.

- Did I mention it's in the middle of goddamn nowhere and hard to get to?

Seriously, that venue sucks, yet because it's one of the few (if not the only) mid-sized venues in Toronto a lot of mid-sized metal bands book their shows there. I keep telling myself after every show I go to there that it'll be the last show I attend at Sound Academy, but then I get suckered in when a band I haven't seen yet or in a long time plays there and i'm like "...Fuck"

But seriously, never again.
Just to add to this, there's basically only one place to park and it's $20, making the concert much more expensive.

I honestly haven't had too many shows I've wanted to go to there. Steel Panther is the only time I've been.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
- It's in a not great location in terms of transportation. Getting there is a huge pain in the ass as it's basically in the middle of nowhere near Polson Pier.

- It's narrow as fuck inside, so when they fill the place it's almost impossible to move around.

- The sightlines are terrible. If you're not at the front getting squished to shit or not at least 6 foot 5, you can't see anything.

Seriously, that venue sucks, yet because it's one of the few (if not the only) mid-sized venues in Toronto a lot of mid-sized metal bands book their shows there. I keep telling myself after every show I go to there that it'll be the last show I attend at Sound Academy, but then I get suckered in when a band I haven't seen yet or in a long time plays there and i'm like "...Fuck"

All of this.

I thought the reason the place was hard to find was because i'm not from the Toronto area. It's just in the middle of nowhere right on the water, crappy parking and a pain just to find. The venue is cut off from the main city and is way off the path. My friend and I have been there twice to see Nightwish. The main reason we went both times is because we're both big fans of theirs and Toronto is as close as they get to us when they tour. The view of the stage is terrible if you're not at least in the front half of the crowd. It's hard to believe they jam in 3,000-4,000 people in there for shows that sell well because of how narrow the place is. Both shows I've seen there were great but overall the venue's not that good.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM
N00B

Quote:

All of this is true. I normally park at the Asian grocery store on Cherry street and walk 5 minutes - not perfect but better than spending $20.

Site lines are my biggest issue with the venue, as others have said unless you are in the first 10 or so rows, don't expect to see much.
04/24 - Nile
Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
That sucks. The Congress is such a cool old theater.
If they kept the place up it'd be nice but right now it's a huge shit hole run by horrible people.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
If they kept the place up it'd be nice but right now it's a huge shit hole run by horrible people.
That's a shame. It's been at least 5 years since I've seen a show there.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
That's a shame. It's been at least 5 years since I've seen a show there.
Yeah it's a hellhole now.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
All of this is true. I normally park at the Asian grocery store on Cherry street and walk 5 minutes - not perfect but better than spending $20.

Site lines are my biggest issue with the venue, as others have said unless you are in the first 10 or so rows, don't expect to see much.
I never parked there for fear of getting ticketed.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:41 AM
N00B

FUCK YEAH!!! Got my ticket to the Toronto show!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

As difficult as this sound academy seems to be, I'm thinking about taking the trip up for this show.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithKnives View Post
As difficult as this sound academy seems to be, I'm thinking about taking the trip up for this show.
You are in luck then as this is at the Kool Haus (formerly the Warehouse) which is a much better venue than Sound Academy.
04/24 - Nile