Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM
N00B

Valient Thorr -- Ybor City, FL -- July 3rd, 2013

I arrived in Ybor around 5pm too wait for the Valient Thorr concert happening that night, I also had an interview with tourmates Gypsyhawk, but they didn't end up getting to the venue till around 6:30 so I just waited out front for the doors to open. Once the interview was done and the doors were opened we went in and I was surprised and upset to see there were only around 10-15 people in the whole venue non including bands/personnel, which is absolutely pathetic, people complain about how good tours never come to central Florida, and when they do hardly anyone goes out to them.

After a short wait the first of two locals ABORTION TWINS walked on stage. I had previously never listened to this band even though I've heard people mention them on numerous occasions, they had a sort of Municipal Waste feel, but a little more corny, but they're definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something different or fun. The best part was when they ended their set with a cover of Journey's "Any Way You Want It", I found it absolutely hilarious considering the type of band they are, but they pulled it off well, I'll have to check them out further.

Next up was RIPTORN, I've lately been getting into these guys a lot, they have a great combination of thrash and power metal influences to make a vicious yet unique sound. During their set their vocalist proved to everyone he's one of the best vocalists in the local metal scene, and I must give props to their bassist as well, he really impressed. This band also played a cover, they picked Anthrax's version of "Got The Time" by Joe Jackson, and they did a great job with it. Riptorn definitely impressed and I can't wait to see them again on the Havok show next month.

And now it was time for the first of the three bands on the tour, RAMMING SPEED. Ramming Speed are to me one of the better but unfortunately least appreciated bands in thrash/punk. I've been wanting to see them for a while so I was glad they were announced to be on this tour, I just wish the crowd would have shown even the slightest amount of movement. this was by far the most pathetic crowd I've ever been a part of, Ramming Speed's vocalist asked for the crowd to come closer to the stage or to show some kind of movement on more than one occasion, but except for the 8 or 9 of us by the stage everyone else stayed in the back or just sat at the bar, which bugged me relentlessly, what is the point of going to club shows if you're just going to sit by the bar and listen to the music? You could have done that at home! Anyways, performance wise Ramming Speed were very energetic, my only complaint was the sound wasn't mixed very well, I couldn't hear the solos or half of the drumming, but other than that they were great, I'll definitely plan on seeing them again one day, hopefully they'll have a decent crowd next time.

Up next was the band I was looking forward to the most, GYPSYHAWK, I had only discovered this band a few months ago and I've become a big fan f theirs, they have that old school Thin Lizzy/Montrose rock n' roll feel but with a modern spin on it. Gypsyhawk were by far the best band of the night for me, their catchy grooves, melodies and ripping guitar solos are some of the many qualities this band has to offer. My favorite parts of their set were the song "Gypsyhawk", and their cover of Boston's "Piece Of Mind", which is a favorite song of mine. All in all Gypsyhawk are a good time, and I'd definitely recommend checking them out live if you get the chance.

And now it was time for the band people were obviously mainly there for, the mighty VALIENT THORR. This band basically dropped off the edge of the Earth for a couple years it seemed, but it was clear they haven't skipped a beat, every review I've ever read on this band have said how Valient is one of the best modern live vocalists, and now I know why. Throughout the performance Valient would do some of the most random things while singing, like do push ups, jog in place, lay on his back, which only made the performance more amusing and entertaining. There isn't a whole lot more I can say about Valient Thorr other than you just need to see them live to fully get them, which I fully recommend doing.

----

Gypsyhawk setlist

1)Overloaded
2)Gypsyhawk
3)State Lines
4)Commander Of The High Forest
5)Hedgeking
6)Piece Of Mind (Boston cover)
7)The Fields

If anyone can help with the Valient Thorr or Ramming Speed Setlists?

I know RS played 6 songs, can't remember for VT.

Tags
gypsyhawk, valient thorr