Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Mayhem Fest -- San Bernardino, CA -- June 29th, 2013

Venue: San Manuel
Source: me

Well the show was a bit of a let down for me. I bought some VIP tickets for very cheap. These tickets said they included access to the pit and other awesome perks. My friend and I got to the venue and drank in the parking lot until about 25 minutes before JFAC went on and waited at the will call office for a while. The lady helping us didn't really know what she was doing and ended up giving us a VIP wrist band, but gave us lawn tickets. We didn't notice that at the moment and I will go on about that later.

After the whole will call delay, we got into the venue around the time JFAC was halfway through their set. I haven't cared about seeing them in a long time. I saw them in 2006 and they pretty much played the entire Doom EP at that show and they just were never as good again after. We wandered over the the side stages and ended up not really watching JFAC. It was 106 degrees out, so we decided to find shade instead. When Emmure went on, we decided to go ask customer service about the perks of our passes. They told us we were allowed to go down to the pit area and early. We headed over there and skipped the giant line that was already formed for the pit. We found a VIP section next to the pit. There was a small press area at first, then a area marked off as VIP with an awesome bar set up. We go to walk in and the lady next to the entrance of the bar tells us our VIP tickets don't allow us into the VIP section. That made no sense and then told us we would have to give her $30 if we wanted to go in. We said no thanks and went back to the side stages to watch Machinehead and Children of Bodom. We didn't really watch them at first. We sat in the shade behind a bar and just listened. They were both cool but it wasn't too amazing. Here's that they played

Machinehead:

This Is the End
Imperium
Old Locust
Halo

Children of Bodom:

Silent Night, Bodom Night
Hate Me!
Hate Crew Deathroll
Angels Don't Kill
Halo of Blood
In Your Face

After this, it was time for the annoying part of the day. We went to head to the pit on the main stage to get ready for Amon Amarth. Right when we got to the entrance to the pit, we were told we weren't allowed down there anymore. We went back to customer service to ask about it to the same people who told us we could go down to the pit and we were told since we were handed a lawn ticket at the will call that we only had access to the lawn despite being given a VIP wristband and being told we could go to the pit. I made the lady read the VIP paper I was given that said I could go to the pit. She had her boss come over and her boss said we could go to the pit and walked with us down there. After a few check points, we arrived and the last check point to get into the pit and were then told by the security we couldn't go in. I asked the lady who just walked with us there about it and she then changed her mind and said we had lawn seats and couldn't go into the pit. I was really frustrated at that point cause they kept telling us one thing, then changing it up to something else. I saw a few of my friends in the pit that I was suppose to meet up with. I was screaming their names, but they were just far enough to not see me. We were then told to go into the small VIP area or to the lawn. I walked in there and saw Brent from Mastodon. I went up to him and said hi. He shook my hand and asked me how I was enjoying the show. He seemed all about wanting to have a convo with me, so I was surprised since I heard he was a dick. I then asked for a picture with him and he said no and walked away. I was so confused After this, we went back to the customer service and asked if we could just be given the pit wrist bands and they said we would have to spend $80 each for that and we just gave up at that point. We got some drinks and went to the lawn. I missed Amon Amarth due to this whole situation. I was really looking forward to seeing them.

After a while of waiting, Mastodon finally went on. It was so terrible. I was really looking forward to being in the pit so the sound would be really good. The sound on the lawn for that venue is terrible and thus Mastodon sounded like complete shit. I was not enjoying their set at all. The vocals kept cutting out really bad. I remember it sounded like they completely skipped the chorus in Oblivion. While Mastodon was playing, my friend and I got some Thai food that was right there. The Thai food was pretty much the only good thing about that day so far. I just remember I was sitting and grubbing on some food and Mastodon played All the Heavy Lifting and that was the best point of the day so far. Here's what Mastodon played.

Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
Dry Bone Valley
Thickening
Oblivion
Blasteroid
All the Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl of the Burl
Blood and Thunder

After they were done, my friend noticed some guy walking around with pit wristbands. We ran over and he gave us the last two he had! We rushed down to the pit and I was hoping to catch my friends who were down there, but they took off after Mastodon ended. Then I hated the next hour. I want that one hour of my life back. There was never a need for me to see 5 Finger Death Punch live and I hated every second of it. Rob Zombie went on at 9:50 and played until 11. I haven't listened to him in years except for checking out his new album. He put on such an amazing show and I was surprised I knew every song that he played. I was also really surprised when I found out Ginger Fish was his drummer. Zombie's set kind of made up for the shitty day. Last time I saw him was in 2005 and this show really made me feel like a 14 year old again. I left in a good mood.

Teenage Nosferatu Pussy
Superbeast
Meet the Creeper
Living Dead Girl
More Human Than Human (White Zombie song)
Theme for an Angry Red Planet
Ging Gang Gong De Do Gong De Laga Raga
Drum Solo
Never Gonna Stop (The Red, Red Kroovy)
Sick Bubble-Gum
Lords of Salem
Dead City Radio and the New Gods of Supertown
Thunder Kiss '65 (White Zombie song) (w/Guitar solo)
We're an American Band (Grand Funk Railroad cover)
---------
Dragula
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Death by Metal

Thanks for the sets, but it sucks you had such a bad time man. I kinda wish FFDP were headlining so I could leave after Zombie. Which bands were doing meet and greets or did you catch that?

Amon Amarth's set:

Destroyer of the Universe
The Pursuit of Vikings
War of the Gods
Deceiver of the Gods
Death in Fire
Twilight of the Thunder God

Source: setlist.fm
9/11-13 - ProgPower
9/21 - Eluvitie
10/5 - Cheap Trick?

Last edited by justinm4bama; 06-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
N00B

Those are some pretty solid choices from Zombie's new album with the exception of the GFR cover.

Also, I'm not surprised to hear about your encounter with Brent. I love the guy, but he seems like the least approachable member of Mastodon. My guess is that's just his personality, and that it isn't anything personal.

Last edited by InFlamesOfBirchmen; 06-30-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
N00B

LOL @ Brent. What a dick.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Fuck you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
LOL @ Brent. What a dick.
He's an alcoholic. Not surprised.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

tell me about it
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I wasn't really upset with Brent. I've heard many terrible things about him. I remember I was standing at the entrance of the VIP area and saw him, but wasn't sure if it was him since he had his haircut. I asked my friend and he wasn't sure either. He turned his head and I saw his face tattoo, so I knew it was him. He walked my way and we were talking for a few minutes and he seamed really cool. I was actually really shocked he was so cool to talk to. I then asked for the pic and he walked away. I knew I would be rejected but figured I'd go for it. It was just funny he went from being so cool to not being about it haha
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Close your eyes forget your name

Good review, sorry your experience was shitty with the VIP mess; I'm thinking if I should go to the Denver date in a week and I'm basing it off setlists; I'm most interested in seeing Machine Head, Amon Amarth, Mastodon and Rob Zombie.

I really wish MH and Five Finger Donkey Punch would switch so MH would get more time; I know you said MH wasn't super great but how did the songs sound with the new bass player?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 AM
N00B

That's a great Zombie set, I love his new album. That's shit how they fucked up your day like that, and I'm sure Brann said they were changing up the set a bit for Mayhem.. seriously Mastodon, The Hunter is getting way too overplayed.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Really good Zombie set and I think the Mastodon set is really good too although I would switch Thickening out with an older song. So did Zombie really do Theme For An Angry Red Planet and then not do Mars Needs Women?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac

Tags
children of bodom, machinehead, mastodon, rob zombie