Accept -- Solana Beach, CA -- September 11th, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- Sydney, Australia -- September 11th, 2014

Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Intronaut -- Montreal, Quebec -- June 17th, 2013

Venue: Il Motore
Opening band: Unbeing
Tour: North American Tour 2013

Another great concert at Il Motore. I'm in love with that venue: it's intimate and beautiful, it has good sound and the bike ride from my home is about 20-25 minutes. The only inconvenience is that a fish shop just opened next to it and it smells funny when you get in. I got there as local openers Unbeing were loading out their gear out of the venue, complaining about the stench. Mouth of the Architect started playing a few minutes later in front of a packed venue, delivering a massive sludge/post-metal set. They were heavy and imposing, often having three vocalists (the guitarists and the keyboardist) singing/yelling at the same time. They mostly played songs from their new record, Dawning, which, while still being crushing, delivers a beautiful uplifting feeling. I only wish we could have heard the keyboards more, but they probably had the heaviest tones of the night, so it was alright.

A large part of the crowd was apparently only there for the instrumental quartet Scale the Summit, and they didn't seem to be disappointed. The band gave us 45 minutes of perfectly executed prog. The two guitarists always impress me when they ease through those complex tapping and chord patterns. Their drummer could have had a bit more finesse, but he was tight. However, their skill didn't keep me from yawning. This was my second time seeing Scale the Summit and I have yet to feel something out of their music. I totally understand why people like this band, but I just can't get into them.

Finally, the band that I had came to see took the stage in front of a bit thinner crowd. Just like the two bands that played before them, Intronaut had almost impeccable sound and made practically no mistake in their songs. The bass tone was especially heavy, yet almost fluid - liquid. The set mainly focused on new stuff and the clean vocal duo of Sacha and Dave gave me chills. The growled/screamed vocals in the two older songs they played at the end also sounded good, but it wasn't as shocking as the sheer beauty of the clean ones. Their performance was energetic, precise, crushing and also entertaining, due to the wierd animated videos that played on a screen behind them. I would have took one or two more tunes, but I was also very tired, so it didn't bother me much.

Mouth of the Architect

Lullabye
Sharpen Your Axes
Hate and Heartache
How This Will End

Scale the Summit (out of order)

The Dark Horse
Odyssey
Narrow Salient
Whales
Atlas Novus
The Olive Tree
The Great Plains
The Traveler

Intronaut

Killing Birds with Stones
Milk Leg
The Welding
Core Relations
Sore Sight for Eyes
Harmonomicon
Prehistoricisms
Gleamer

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Buahahahahaha

Good review.I agree on StS, although I did like their sophomore record a bit. So Intronaut are alternating Nostalgic Echo and Prehistoricisms. That's almost even more disappointing because if my date did get a track from Prehistoricisms, I'd be missing out on their best song off of Void. I think I'll just go see Weedeater instead
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
I think I'll just go see Weedeater instead
I wouldn't if I were you, except if you've never seen Weedeater and already seen Intronaut. Still, I agree with you, the setlist could have been better.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Nice review, although it pisses me off a little bit because now there's really no reason for me to write one about the show I saw last Thursday. Most of the details are the same, including the fact that we got "Prehistoricisms" and that StS, while competent and impressive, makes me yawn.

Nice job.

Actually, maybe there's still a reason to post another thread. Maybe if I post some links to the videos I took. Plus, we got an unexpected encore that was totally predictable (in terms of song selection), but nevertheless totally fucking awesome...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Buahahahahaha

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
I wouldn't if I were you, except if you've never seen Weedeater and already seen Intronaut. Still, I agree with you, the setlist could have been better.
Well I haven't seen Weedeater and I saw Intronaut open for Mastodon in 09, but that was before I knew Intronaut very well. I doubt this will be their only US tour for this cycle so I'll wait and hope for a better set.

Edit: I don't know why this post is titles with a sad face
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut

Tags
intronaut, mouth of the architect, scale the summit