Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Death by Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
The soudn was a bit blurry with the 3 guitars, but they gave an astonishing set. My favourite part was when the keyboardist did the saxophone parts with his voice, that was beautiful. They made great use of the multiple vocalists they had; sometimes there were 4 people singing at the same time, without losing any purpose. This combined with the complex and complete arrangements between the instruments and Ihsahn's fantastic songwriting gave us an incredible set. I didn't know his solo material much before going to see his band, but they made me a fan. The band had an enormous stage presence too, especially the keyboardist and one of the guitarist, who kept jumping and headbanging like a maniac.
The keyboardist did that at ProgPower 2011 too. The only thing I have to say about the two sets from when I've seen him is that he played a couple Emperor songs to a bunch of prog/power metal fans and didn't play any Emperor songs to a lot of extreme metal fans. If he had those switched people would have appreciated it more because the prog/power metal people looked confused and a lot of people at MDF looked bored after a few songs.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Metal DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post

Also, did anyone catch Ihsahn?
Nope....Revenge was the reason I went this year....plus, I'm not an Emperor fan (besides the demos and first record).
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Metal DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasherous View Post
I'm surprised with all the Venom hate. I thought they were amazing. Though they were the sole reason i went to MDF, so i'm probably biased in my enjoyment.
I enjoyed them a great bit...was also my first time seeing them.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Ihsahn sounds pretty much nothing like Emperor.

IE not black metal.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
N00B

I don't think Pentagram played...

I don't think Pentagram played Dying World

Please tell me if im wrong, but when i saw this posted i was baffled that Dying World was played. I just looked at a setlist that someone took a picture of, and it says where Dying World would of been played "Everything's Turning To Night". I know bands can change it up, but i'm pretty certain they didn't play Dying World.

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.c...863f#h688c7448
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm4bama View Post
The keyboardist did that at ProgPower 2011 too. The only thing I have to say about the two sets from when I've seen him is that he played a couple Emperor songs to a bunch of prog/power metal fans and didn't play any Emperor songs to a lot of extreme metal fans. If he had those switched people would have appreciated it more because the prog/power metal people looked confused and a lot of people at MDF looked bored after a few songs.
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but there's also a flip side to it that people like me would really enjoy.

If there's going to be hours upon hours of black/death metal no matter what (which I imagine is the case at Deathfest), I'll be extremely appreciative of any bands who bring a bit of diversity to the day and contrast the blastbeats with some different material.

Likewise, if I know I'm seeing a bunch of prog/power all day, the band that brings out some ripping black metal for a few songs is going to be a really nice change of pace for a little while.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
I don't think Pentagram played Dying World

Please tell me if im wrong, but when i saw this posted i was baffled that Dying World was played. I just looked at a setlist that someone took a picture of, and it says where Dying World would of been played "Everything's Turning To Night". I know bands can change it up, but i'm pretty certain they didn't play Dying World.

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.c...863f#h688c7448
Changed it!

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
N00B

Curious?

Hey voidflame, I believe I helped you with your cast inside the sonar on Saturday. Unless someone else hurt their wrist during repulsion.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Žķestru

Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to see Mike LePond (Symphony X) at the fest? He was there, just hanging out. I saw him in the crowd Sunday and ran into him later that night. Got a picture with him and everything.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Hey voidflame, I believe I helped you with your cast inside the sonar on Saturday. Unless someone else hurt their wrist during repulsion.
It was me, thanks dude!

Sucks that we didn't know who we both were and that I was a bit too sedated on painkillers, I would have talked more with you...

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Tags
converge, glorior belli, integrity, manilla road, midnight, pagan altar, pentagram, sacred reich, sleep, speedwolf, venom