Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

About the multiple gigs thing, for most bands I would agree that you really don't need to see more than like two shows on any given tour. However, if there is a band that is your absolute favorite, the music and the show takes on a whole new meaning. I had a great time at Baroness last night but do I really need to see more than one show? No. Same with AiC, Fleetwood Mac, and Testament. All shows I've seen this year (Rush is a different story, I did really want to see them again right after the show). Because I don't know their music well enough (even though I love them all) to really pick up on the tiny nuances that change from show to show. Also, while I might think they're cool guys, they personally don't mean a ton to me.

However, when you've been in love with a band since before you were in high school, for over a third of your life, the guys in the band really start to take on a new meaning for you. I've met Nicko and I've talked to Dave and Adrian over the phone briefly so my actual connection to them is almost non-existent. However, being up on the barrier and just exchanging a smile or getting a nod of approval or just seeing how they interact with eachother and enjoy themselves up there is an important part of the show that isn't just the music. And for me, that, along with the little changes in how they play every night, is what makes going to multiple gigs special despite being the "same" on paper.

"You don't understand" is such a bullshit defense but I think it works in this case. It doesn't have to be Maiden, it could be anyone, but if there is not a band that you're highly passionate about then yes, I could see how the prospect of multiple gigs on the same tour doesn't make sense. But if you really feel that strongly for one band, I think it becomes much, much more easy to understand why some people do what they do.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Although, some Maiden fans get a little over the top even in my opinion. Doing the entire European tour or doing like 20 gigs in the States when they're from Italy or Belgium.

Also, the lack of Infinite Dreams really needs this:
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I can't lie and say that I'm not bummed that I'll never hear Infinite Dreams live now but I understand that it's the same tour and it's a setlist they've previously stated that they're very happy with so I'll deal with them not playing it. I suppose they have their reasons after they rehearsed it in 2012 not to do it.

To me, it's not that there's anything inherently wrong with the setlist but it's just the fact that one or two changes really could have made the difference between really good and great. Put ID and Die With Your Boots On or Killers in for 2 Minutes or Running Free and you're set.

However, at the end of the day I'm flying to Europe and taking in the (amazing) sights while seeing my favorite band, including my personal hero, play cuts from my life's soundtrack. It will be amazing.

I could care less what a band's setlist is, if I like the band, I will go see them. I purchased the "tourbook/postergramme" before the gig and on one page it had what the setlist was so I kind of knew beforehand it did not change from last year. It was pretty cool to see the Spanish fans singing along and being excited for Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

I am visiting five amazing cities in Europe (London, Bilbao, Lisbon, Barcelona and Amsterdam) and seeing Iron Maiden in three of those cities and seeing Rush in two of those cities just is the icing on the cake!!!

Speaking of cake, they have great desserts here in Bilbao!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Wow, seeing Rush and Maiden on the same trip would be awesome. Are the Rush shows in Europe GA floor by chance or do they still do the seats on the floor?

Any other thoughts on the Bilbao show? A review would be cool if you have time. Also, how is the program?
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Wow, seeing Rush and Maiden on the same trip would be awesome. are the Rush shows in Europe GA floor by chance or do they still do the seats on the floor?

Anything other thoughts on the Bilbao show? A review would be cool if you have time. Also, how is the program?
For the Rush show at the O2 they had seats on the floor but for Amsterdam it will be general admission on the floor (I had seats for London but I have GA floor for Amsterdam). Lisbon Maiden show is Wednesday then Saturday is Sonisphere in Barcelona (I am skipping Sonisphere in Madrid, thought I would spend time checking out Barcelona vs. spending time in Madrid) then Sunday is Rush in Amsterdam.

I will try to do a review later today. It is 6:15 am here in Bilbao and have not really slept yet.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
N00B

Quote:
Wow, seeing Rush and Maiden on the same trip would be awesome. Are the Rush shows in Europe GA floor by chance or do they still do the seats on the floor?

Any other thoughts on the Bilbao show? A review would be cool if you have time. Also, how is the program?
Tour programme is nothing special, just a "postergramme" like they had in 2008 for Somewhere Back in Time. Maiden does not really do tour books anymore (I still have my old tour books at home somewhere from Somewhere in Time 1986/87 and World Slavery Tour 84/85)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil709 View Post
But don't they get bored playing the same 10-20 songs on a tour of 40+ dates? Any musicians here that can answer that?
I would imagine its just easier to not have to remember how to play a lot of their catalog. It keeps it so they can just perfect the songs on the list. I get that, but I would also like to see them rotate a few songs here and there.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I will never understand someone being excited over seeing a band play the same set 12 times and continue to travel all over for the same exact set.
Agreed. Napalm Death are one of my favorite bands but I saw them twice within three days once (in Toronto and Ottawa); same set, same banter, same show. I was a little disappointed. I was thinking of going to see them in a few other towns that were within an hour or two of me that week but I thought, "why see the same set and stage banter, I'll give them a few more years".

So seeing the same band live multiple times is awesome but seeing them multiple times on one tour is a bit much.
03/07 -- Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-28-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Agreed. Napalm Death are one of my favorite bands but I saw them twice within three days once (in Toronto and Ottawa); same set, same banter, same show. I was a little disappointed. I was thinking of going to see them in a few other towns that were within an hour or two of me that week but I thought, "why see the same set and stage banter, I'll give them a few more years".

So seeing the same band live multiple times is awesome but seeing them multiple times on one tour is a bit much.

seeing bands multiple times on one tour is just part of the journey. Meeting new people, seeing new places etc is why my vacations are "tour related". I am not in Europe just to see Rush and Iron Maiden multiple times, I get to experience amazing cities and cultures at the same time. Same in North America when I go to multiple rock shows, I get to see friends and places I don't normally get to.

Each their own I guess. I have travelled within North America to see Accept, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rush, Def Leppard, Manowar, Metallica, Ghost (to name a few) and have met some good friends and experienced some great cities and towns and a few "mis" adventures along the way.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc666 View Post
For the Rush show at the O2 they had seats on the floor but for Amsterdam it will be general admission on the floor (I had seats for London but I have GA floor for Amsterdam). Lisbon Maiden show is Wednesday then Saturday is Sonisphere in Barcelona (I am skipping Sonisphere in Madrid, thought I would spend time checking out Barcelona vs. spending time in Madrid) then Sunday is Rush in Amsterdam.

I will try to do a review later today. It is 6:15 am here in Bilbao and have not really slept yet.
I understand that last part. Have fun with the rest of your travels and gigs.

And yeah, last year I saw Maiden in Charlotte, Atlanta, Philly, and DC. I didn't do any exploring in DC because that's the closest major city to me so I've been there a lot, in Philly I ran out of time to do anything unfortunately because traffic from Northern Virginia all the way there was a an absolute bitch. However, I hung out for days in Charlotte and got acquainted with the city, went to museums, went to one of the huge racetracks for the first time, spent time with my girlfriend and her family and saw the show. In Atlanta I got to go to the show with my girlfriend and meet up with two buddies that I rarely see. The next day we went downtown and checked out the city, went to the world's largest aquarium which was really cool for me because I love fish, and ate at Brent Hind's favorite restaurant.

This year I'm seeing freaking Paris with my girlfriend and spending a week there. I'm going to Versailles and Disneyland as well as the things in the city. Then I'm going back to Frankfurt for a bit of German nostalgia ad going to visit the old town of Heidelberg on the day of the second show as it looks really cool and I didn't get around to visiting when I was studying over there.

So yeah, the reason I'm going to Europe next week instead of in August is because Maiden will be there next week. But the show is only one fraction of the experience.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac

Tags
iron maiden