Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Is SYSTEM OF A DOWN Contemplating Moving On Without Frontman Serj Tankain?

Quote:

It's been a while since we've had a concrete update on new material from System Of A Down. They haven't released new material since 2005's double album, Mesmerize/Hypnotize and in that time frontman Serj Tankian has developed quite the solo career, while his bandmates have also gotten mild success with their solo projects.

While the band was previously hopeful for a new album in 2014, it seems that might not be the case and it might be Serj's fault for holding out. In some new posts on his Facebook page, bassist Shavo Odadjian puts the frontman on blast, and reveals the remaining three members are considering moving on without him.

Shavo originally posted:

ok….. Ill come clean.. Its not us(meaning Daron,John Or Shavo!! Its Sej, who doesn' want to do a new album!!!! so please stop harassing us about it!!! We are just waiting for SERJ! Now He might hate me for exposing the truth but i Had too.. Sorry folks!!! we're trying to get a new album out, its just not passing Serj's RULES! . Kinda funny, since we started the band and now he's holding us back!! I think we should should release another album again??? As for me.. I'm ready to release one with someone who wants to be the singer of SYSTEM. not soeome we have to beg to be a part of SYSTEM!! So with that in mind, what do you guys w should do? Just remember, Hes been holding us back for 7 years so far.. wanna wait another $-5 years? or shall we release a record without Serj? u tell us?????

In the comments he added:

we're tired of waiting!!!! NO disrespect to Serj System has to go on!!!!! who agrees???????????

sorry bro, @ serj Tankian . had to tell the truth.. ive been being harassed since you didnt wanna do anther record. love u.

The ranting kept going:

I dont want to make a record without him… but if he's not down? should the 3 of us just sit and wait?? Not cool!!!!!!!! i want the fans from all over the world including Brazil to tell us what they think.

No System? or System with with a new singer whos just as good if not better? PLUS new System songs and tours???? please give me ur opinion people!!! is SYSTEM better with no singer or someone who is excited to be our new singer?? you decide.. cause im confused!!!

…and going…

no diss to Serj.. If he wants to be in the band then he's welcome but if he's not? what do you expect us 3 to do.?? we really want anorther System Record! wish Serj was down but if hes not, then im going ahead and making a System record without him!!! im furious that he let us down like this, but we gotta do something to keep this great band alive!!! agreed????????

Ultimately, I feel that Tankian's voice is at the heart of what made System of A Down so great and unique. To replace him would be removing a very important part of the equation. If the rest of the band chooses to go on, perhaps pick a new moniker? I can see how that wouldn't fly because of the name recognition giving the band better guaranteed money, but god damn it SERJ… JUST HELP THEM MAKE A NEW ALBUM ALREADY!!!
I don't see it happening without Serj.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Buahahahahaha

They should just quit. They haven't released an album in 8 years and it doesn't like they're writing new material. Plus their last two albums were butt and they were bad when I saw 'em live. I regret falling victim to that cash grab. Let the hate come.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Close your eyes forget your name

I love SOAD but I don't think it is right to shit on Serj; if he isn't 100% committed then a possible record would suck, and they need to move on.

I did enjoy seeing them last year in Chicago and in a perfect world I would love a new album and tour but forcing the issue never turns out well, and Serj is entitled to do what he wants to do.

Plus, calling Serj out on Facebook isn't a great way to maintain a working relationship; I think Shavo fucked up here.....
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 AM
The Cheese

That reads like a drunk guy posting to Facebook on his phone. A drunk guy who seems to have a strong need for getting approval from people he's never met.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

This is a really immature/unnecessary rant from Shavo. As much as I love System and would love to hear new material, if Serj doesn't want to do it, don't fucking do it. If they forced a new record, chances are that it would suck hard. They put one of the best performances I've ever seen last summer, but they shouldn't make another record unless the whole band is fully committed to doing so.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

If they want to release an album without Serj, more power to them, but it will not sell as well as it would have otherwise.

That said, there's no way Serj solo is making as much money as SOAD could rake in, so I wonder why it's not happening.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
If they want to release an album without Serj, more power to them, but it will not sell as well as it would have otherwise.

That said, there's no way Serj solo is making as much money as SOAD could rake in, so I wonder why it's not happening.
I mean if they want to make a record with Serj they should, just don't call it SOAD because Serj is the face of the band. Without his voice it won't be SOAD.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Serj needs to quit with his shitty solo material and go back to SoaD. Every few years they should release an ep and tour behind it. Similar to what Down is doing. Fans will have a bit of new music and they will have a reason to tour every so often. If Serj isn't happy with SoaD those guys should start a new band with another vocalist.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Rats off to ya

A new SOAD album would suck anyway.