Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Thrasho de Mayo -- Los Angeles, CA -- May 11th, 2013

Venue: The Vex
Source: me

I wasn't sure I was going to make this show due to have a take home exam this weekend and a lot of work. I decided on Thursday to buy a ticket and got super pumped for the show. I got off of work at 530 and went home, changed and headed out to the venue. I was really hungry and was planning on hitting up one of my favorite Mexican food places next to the venue, but it was closed, so I headed inside the show about 640. Witchhaven was suppose to play, but was told the day of the show they couldn't, so the set times got moved around a bit and Speedwolf went on a little earlier than expected. I could have seen the last 10 minutes of their set, but they let Witchhaven play for the last 10 minutes to make up for not being able to play.

Up next was Mantic Ritual. We all walked inside to the main stage. They had two stages set up. The main stage and a big stage outside with a taco stand. I decided I'd get some food after Mantic Ritual ended. I was going to go get a beer, but saw the beer line was way too long for me to want to wait for. It was seriously like 50 or 60 people long. I decided to wait until Mantic Ritual went on so that maybe the line would die down, but then noticed the line wasn't moving at all. A few minutes later, I realized that the bar was actually closed and many people left the line. After about 10 minutes, the bar opened back up and I quickly got in line. It turns out that cops showed up and the venue doesn't have a liquor licence, so they weren't able to sell alcohol the rest of the night. They only had a can of soda for $2 or a bottle of water for $1. I thought it was funny later on that I'd never seen so many thrash heads walking around with water bottles.

Anyways, Mantic Ritual were pretty cool. The first two songs were kind of lame, but then they got a lot better. After about 20 minutes, I decided to go outside and get some food before Nunslaughter went on. There wasn't that long of a line at the taco stand, but they were backed up on orders, so they said it would be a 20 minute wait. I saw they had carna asada fries so I ordered that and waited. After about 15 minutes or so, I got my food right as Nunslaughter went on. I was super happy to eat some super bomb food while watching super satanic metal. I love how silly Nunslaughter is live with their talking in between songs. They played for about 40 minutes. I recognized a lot of songs played like I Hate Christians and The Hex, but don't remember everything.

When Nunslaughter ended, we headed inside to see Fueled by Fire. I don't know who designed this building, but the pathway from the outside stage to the inside stage is a single one person door. It took me about 5 minutes just to walk about 15 feet. It was bullshit. Fueled by Fire played a cool 40 minute set. I was thinking about leaving early to avoid the "traffic" to Ghoul, but my friend suggested we stand by the door and book it as soon as they end. I was actually surprised that a lot of people were moshing to Fueled by Fire.

Ghoul went on around 1015 and played about 40 minutes. I got a little high at this point, so the rest of the show becomes a little blurry haha. Anyways, the strobe lights they were using were way too distracting. I kept zoning out and forgetting I was at a show and then remembered Ghoul was playing and tried focusing again. I don't remember what they played, but enjoyed it. It was the first time I've seen them use fake blood as part of their set, so that was cool. They threw a Ghoul skateboard into the crowd and these two kids fought for it for like 15 minutes on the ground haha!!!

After Ghoul, I quickly rushed inside to avoid the traffic cause I was too high to deal with it. Idolatry went on and played for about 40 minutes. I heard they were suppose to play all of the Devastation album Idolatry but ended up playing about 6 songs from it. I don't remember all of them off the top of my head, but I was soo happy to hear them play the title track.

Morbid Saint went on at 11:05 and played an amazing 45 minute set!!!! They opened with Destruction System. It was definitely a terrible opener in my opinion. No one seemed to care about what was going on. Once Lock Up Your Children started, the place went apeshit!!! Here is the first two songs. You can see the difference. The singer then announced they were going to play the entire Spectrum of Death. They played the rest of the album and the crowd was going crazy the entire time. They said that this was the last show for a while. They are going to go into the studio and write a new album and then are planning on going on tour after, so I'm stoked to see them again!! The singer kept telling everyone to raise their beers between songs so they could drink with him, but no one had any beers to raise

Destruction System
Lock Up Your Children
Burned at the Stake
Assassin
Beyond the Gates of Hell
Crying for Death
Scars
Thrashaholic
Damien

I left at this point. I wanted to see a few songs by MOD but I had work at 8am and it was already midnight, so I wanted to get some sleep.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Altars of Radness

Nice review. I really wish I was there. So much stage diving in that video! I can only imagine what the pit was like.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM

Here are two videos of Nunslaughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFUzITj7OkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znkmoNws-0o
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

So why was Witchaven booted?
3/27-At The Gates/Converge?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
So why was Witchaven booted?
no idea
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Their facebook doesn't say either
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
D.B.B.

Mama Fire (one of the dudes from FBF's mom, she books the show) told Witchaven that they needed to cancel their tour if they were going to play Thrasho. Problem was, she told them while they were already on tour. She was just being a bitch. Funny thing, Witchaven signed the contract before all the bullshit happened, so they were still guaranteed money. And they got it. Metal!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Mama Fire (one of the dudes from FBF's mom, she books the show) told Witchaven that they needed to cancel their tour if they were going to play Thrasho. Problem was, she told them while they were already on tour. She was just being a bitch. Funny thing, Witchaven signed the contract before all the bullshit happened, so they were still guaranteed money. And they got it. Metal!
Why though? Why does it matter? Thats funny and awesome they still got paid.

Papa Mortis > Mama Fire
3/27-At The Gates/Converge?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post

Papa Mortis > Mama Fire
Hell yeah!

Tags
morbid saint