Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Crazymetalhead, awesome post. Really cool to read those stories, I wish I had more Slayer memories.

My ond and only time seeing them was at Mayhem Fest last year. I was so excited, and their set was everything I could have hoped for. Although I never got to see Jeff live , that one show was really great, and a night I will remember for a long time. The songs, the stage setup, the crowd; it all confirmed why Slayer are as amazing as they are. I fell down on the cement pit floor a couple times, and had cuts that would not seem to heal for months haha.
6/15 Mutilation Rites
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Now that I think about it, dying from liver damage from heavy drinking is pretty metal... not as cool as a heroin overdose or pretty much any form of suicide but its still a classic
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Crucial Mosh Achieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymetalhead View Post
I have been a devote Slayer fan for years, ever since 1991 with my first introduction to them. Through all the good and the bad they have been one of my ultimate favourite bands! Hell, I have the Divine Intervention album tatooed on my right arm! I have been fortunate enough to see them 13 times though the years (1995-2010). Any time they were anywhere near me, I went to see them and rocked the pit and was up front for every show! I was lucky enough to get a pick from Tom, Kerry and Jeff and a drum stick from Paul (never as lucky with Dave unfort).

Some of my fondest memories of Slayer include:

1995-First Slayer show with Machine Head and Biohazard as they open with Raining Blood and I was tripping balls! Got Paul's stick that night and Tom's pick! One of the most violent pits I have ever been in!

2001-The Extreme Steel tour! Pantera and Slayer on the same bill! 2 metal heavyweights that came out and destroiyed the place! Also the last time that we would see Pantera as well Saw a Danzig look-a-like almost die next to us and we (4 of us) got hit with a hot dog (bun included) that came from behind that resembled the Kennedy bullet! How did it hit all 4 of us and stain us all? THAT was one magic hot dog!

2001-2002 Seeing them 3 times within a 6 month span in 3 different venues in the same city! Got my Kerry and Jeff picks in this timespan. With bands including Fear Factory, Hatebreed and Soulfly!! At one show, during the closer Angel of Death, Tom walked up to the front of the stage where I was, looked at me, pointed and smiled and then he and I headbanged together for the whole solo part! Afterwards throwin me the horns for a job well done and a high five after! Memorable!

One date that stands out in 2002 for unfortunate reasons was when Slayer cancelled what would have been on my birthday due to Tom's father passing away! I was devastated, but they came back and made up for it with the Soulfly show!

2004-The REIGN IN BLOOD set with Damageplan opening! DP used Slayer's gear and they tore the roof off! Dime and Kerry doin shots after the show on stage, gettin high 5s from them in the front! Something I'll remember for life considering what was to transpire only a few short months later, RIP Dime!

2006-The Unholy Alliance with Lamb of God, Mastodon and Children of Bodom! This night was unbelievable! One of the best shows Ive seen all around!

2007-Slayer in my hometown FINALLY! The first and only time I didn't have to road trip to see them! Playing with Unearth in Ottawa, this was sort of a make up for me as well as the bday show I mentioned was also supposed to be here.

2010-Heavy MTL! Slayer came out and the pit erupted so fierce that the barricade broke and it was just utter chaos! First and only time I actually feared for my life in a mosh pit with the wall of people that collapsed and the pit just continued to grow! This was also the Seasons set which was my intro to Slayer which made it even more special!

I haven't had the chance to see them with Gary Holt and I always hoped that Jeff would come back sooner than later even if just to put out that (probable) last album and then a farewell tour. I do have mixed emotions over this as part of me wants to see a farewell tour just to send them off into the sunset and I would relish the chance to see them again one last time even without Jeff. But again at the same time, it isn't Slayer without him and perhaps it is time to hang em up and let the music stand as it was and is!

Their music has always stayed true and they have been a part of me and who I am for so many years. It has helped me through bad times, good times and provided me with some of the best memories of concert experiences that I will always cherish!

This may be long winded and some of you will bash me for it...go ahead I don't care, I have broad shoulders! I earned those in 13 Slayer pits This is my way to release some memories and feelings and figured, who better to share with than a bunch of metal fans from around the world! But, much like the day Dime was killed, it is a dark day in the metal world knowing that I won't be able to see one of my favourite bands ever again! I was shooken up pretty bad with Dime and celebrated his life that night. I was devastated to find out this news yesterday and I'm already feeling it from last night as me and some buddies celebrated in Jeff's honour as well!

RIP brother Jeff! You will greatly missed! Slayer forever!

SSSSSSSLLLLLLLAAAAAAAYYYYYYEEEEEEERRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!
6/27 Backtrack
7/05 Agalloch (?)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
My ond and only time seeing them was at Mayhem Fest last year. I was so excited, and their set was everything I could have hoped for. Although I never got to see Jeff live , that one show was really great, and a night I will remember for a long time. The songs, the stage setup, the crowd; it all confirmed why Slayer are as amazing as they are.
Agreed, I have listened to Slayer since the early '90s but had never seen them until their short Hell on Earth tour a couple of years ago and then at Mayhem Fest last year. Both shows were without Jeff and while the shows were great, it's sad I will never see the complete lineup now.

It sounds like Jeff had started writing new songs so hopefully they will do a final album that has whatever he wrote on it and then gracefully retire. Unfortunately I see Kerry riding this thing into the ground, which he somewhat has done already as the last Slayer album I liked was Diabolus.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

cool post Crazymetalhead, I asume you saw most of these shows in Montreal, if so, I also saw the 2001-2002 (twice)-2004 (got arrested for public urinating after the show :p) 2006, 2007 (in Montreal for me) and 2010 at Heavy MTL. What was so fun for these shows is the crazyness of people, Slayer shows were always the craziest

For me there's of course Iron Maiden, then Pink Floyd...then it's fucking Slayer no doubt

I bought myself some Heineken for tonight instead of my usual Labatt Blue... that'll be my night, blasting Slayer and drinking Heineken

Cheers !
PowerrMaiden
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Jeff was on a Liver Transplant list

Sucks
Old 05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Fuck

I guess it's time to end the band. And for them to be inducted into the rnr hall of fame, just as the other two big four.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post

I bought myself some Heineken for tonight instead of my usual Labatt Blue... that'll be my night, blasting Slayer and drinking Heineken

Cheers !
PowerrMaiden
Did the same thing... I put on my favorite Slayer shirt grabbed some Heineken and blasted every album until the GG awards came on, Glad too see our metal gods paying respect to the king of thrash metal.. ROCK IN PEACE! Bitch slap the devil and steal his throne.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Reign in blood was on here, full amplification. The midtempo part of AOD is what metal is all about, my friends.

Tomorrow part two, right up to WPD

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Last show ever.

RIP