Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Old 05-03-2013, 04:13 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I've heard he's always been really sloppy
From what I know of the two, Kerry is the rhythm guy, he tracked all rhythms in latter days of the band. Jeff was the lead guy, and in the early days the song guy. Kerry took over the song-writing when he started doing all the rhythms, but Jeff maintained lead playing. Solos in Slayer are hit and miss, specially the more atonal ones, but Jeff always had a first and last note. When I saw Jeff in 2010 however, he was terrible, but Slayer have always been that 50/50 band, they'll either be awesome or terrible.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Dittohead

I have been a devote Slayer fan for years, ever since 1991 with my first introduction to them. Through all the good and the bad they have been one of my ultimate favourite bands! Hell, I have the Divine Intervention album tatooed on my right arm! I have been fortunate enough to see them 13 times though the years (1995-2010). Any time they were anywhere near me, I went to see them and rocked the pit and was up front for every show! I was lucky enough to get a pick from Tom, Kerry and Jeff and a drum stick from Paul (never as lucky with Dave unfort).

Some of my fondest memories of Slayer include:

1995-First Slayer show with Machine Head and Biohazard as they open with Raining Blood and I was tripping balls! Got Paul's stick that night and Tom's pick! One of the most violent pits I have ever been in!

2001-The Extreme Steel tour! Pantera and Slayer on the same bill! 2 metal heavyweights that came out and destroiyed the place! Also the last time that we would see Pantera as well Saw a Danzig look-a-like almost die next to us and we (4 of us) got hit with a hot dog (bun included) that came from behind that resembled the Kennedy bullet! How did it hit all 4 of us and stain us all? THAT was one magic hot dog!

2001-2002 Seeing them 3 times within a 6 month span in 3 different venues in the same city! Got my Kerry and Jeff picks in this timespan. With bands including Fear Factory, Hatebreed and Soulfly!! At one show, during the closer Angel of Death, Tom walked up to the front of the stage where I was, looked at me, pointed and smiled and then he and I headbanged together for the whole solo part! Afterwards throwin me the horns for a job well done and a high five after! Memorable!

One date that stands out in 2002 for unfortunate reasons was when Slayer cancelled what would have been on my birthday due to Tom's father passing away! I was devastated, but they came back and made up for it with the Soulfly show!

2004-The REIGN IN BLOOD set with Damageplan opening! DP used Slayer's gear and they tore the roof off! Dime and Kerry doin shots after the show on stage, gettin high 5s from them in the front! Something I'll remember for life considering what was to transpire only a few short months later, RIP Dime!

2006-The Unholy Alliance with Lamb of God, Mastodon and Children of Bodom! This night was unbelievable! One of the best shows Ive seen all around!

2007-Slayer in my hometown FINALLY! The first and only time I didn't have to road trip to see them! Playing with Unearth in Ottawa, this was sort of a make up for me as well as the bday show I mentioned was also supposed to be here.

2010-Heavy MTL! Slayer came out and the pit erupted so fierce that the barricade broke and it was just utter chaos! First and only time I actually feared for my life in a mosh pit with the wall of people that collapsed and the pit just continued to grow! This was also the Seasons set which was my intro to Slayer which made it even more special!

I haven't had the chance to see them with Gary Holt and I always hoped that Jeff would come back sooner than later even if just to put out that (probable) last album and then a farewell tour. I do have mixed emotions over this as part of me wants to see a farewell tour just to send them off into the sunset and I would relish the chance to see them again one last time even without Jeff. But again at the same time, it isn't Slayer without him and perhaps it is time to hang em up and let the music stand as it was and is!

Their music has always stayed true and they have been a part of me and who I am for so many years. It has helped me through bad times, good times and provided me with some of the best memories of concert experiences that I will always cherish!

This may be long winded and some of you will bash me for it...go ahead I don't care, I have broad shoulders! I earned those in 13 Slayer pits This is my way to release some memories and feelings and figured, who better to share with than a bunch of metal fans from around the world! But, much like the day Dime was killed, it is a dark day in the metal world knowing that I won't be able to see one of my favourite bands ever again! I was shooken up pretty bad with Dime and celebrated his life that night. I was devastated to find out this news yesterday and I'm already feeling it from last night as me and some buddies celebrated in Jeff's honour as well!

RIP brother Jeff! You will greatly missed! Slayer forever!

SSSSSSSLLLLLLLAAAAAAAYYYYYYEEEEEEERRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

I doubt anyone will bash you for that long post. Well said.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Great post dude. That show at Heavy MTL 2010 was definitely something extraordinary.

R.I.P. Jeff, you will be missed.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Dittohead

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanidiot777 View Post
I doubt anyone will bash you for that long post. Well said.
Theres always haters out there dude! Thnx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
Great post dude. That show at Heavy MTL 2010 was definitely something extraordinary.

R.I.P. Jeff, you will be missed.
Thnx man! That it was! My last Slayer show (unlucky 13) and it was so worth it! IF i do get the chance to see a farewell show, I know I will make it memorable! If a tour like this happens and it doesn't come up North of the border...a trip to the US is definitely in order
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
By far.

Kerry only ever got more recognition because he had a more unique image.
Totally agree. You can't help but notice that guy.

I'm hoping that whatever is going on with the other three guys they stop arguing, look at each other and realize that while they were doing all this drama their friend of thirty plus years was dying and put it all aside. End the band but end it on a high note.

Even if Kerry is a heartless dude I think losing a friend of thirty years would even make him stop and think.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

I hate to laugh at the "hotdog story" a few posts ago. Only at a Slayer show would a hotdog become a weapon.

It must have been an all-beef footlong to take four guys and Danzig out.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Been watching the Live at the Warfield dvd again lately, and yeah, even if you don't play the guitar you just "see" it.
A prime example is the solos in Dittohead.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Dittohead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I hate to laugh at the "hotdog story" a few posts ago. Only at a Slayer show would a hotdog become a weapon.

It must have been an all-beef footlong to take four guys and Danzig out.
Dunno man, but it sure was some sorta magical hot dog that it hit my shoulder, my buddy in the head, other buddy's leg and the bun landed next to other dudes feet. And like I said, it was thrown from behind us, so we have no clue how and where it came from!

As for Danzig, dude just passed out next to us and he took out my buddy at the same time..he was out for a good few minutes then came too, stood up again and was like "whatd I miss?"

Quote:
I agree! Has been my personal fav song from Slayer for years! I lived a good chunk of my life based on the final lyrics "Living with aggression and its ever-lasting REIGN!!!!"
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Agreed.

(Here's my dream Slayer setlist I posted a few weeks ago.

Slayer:
Raining blood
War ensemble
Spill the blood
Postmortem
Divine intervention
World painted blood
Mandatory suicide
Expendable youth
Dead skin mask
Hell awaits
In the name of God