Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Death to All -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 23rd, 2013

Venue: Club Soda
Opening band: Anciients
Tour: Death to All Tour 2013

I'm in my end of semester studying/project-completing rush at university, so I won't have time to write real reviews for the next few shows. It's kind of a miracle I actually manage to go to them... Anyway, here's a summary.

The newly signed by Season of Mist opening Vancouver band Anciients was fairly good. They played a mix of heavy, doom, prog ( la Mastodon) and death metal (heavily influenced by the late guitar work of Chuck Schuldiner). They sounded pretty good, except we couldn't hear the backing vocals until the last two songs. The lead vocalist/guitarist had a pretty good clean voice, that made me think of Priestess' singer, but his growls were a bit ordinary. They had reallu good riffs, but their songs felt like "best-of" mash-ups of all their influences: they lacked purpose and directions at many points. Still, this band has a lot of potential. They'll be touring again with Skeletonwitch this summer. Maybe I'll get to see them again and find out they have improved.

After a half-hour break, it finally was the time for the main act: the three musicians that once accompanied the legendary Chuck Schuldiner in the recording of the landmark Human album in 1991, being Sean and Paul from Cynic and Steve from Sadus, with the addition of live Cynic guitarist/vocalist Max Phelps. Everything was made for the audience to feel like they were in a Death concert back in the days: the lights and smoke, the vintage Death backdrop, the sound, and Max that had Chuck's guitar, that dressed liked him and screamed like him. After a mystic, enigmatic intro, they opened with the first track off Human and the whole crowd (the place was full, by the way, which is pretty impressive for a tuesday) automatically went nuts. Throughout the whole set, except for Cosmic Sea, the pits were raging like I've rarely seen before; and they were not only violent and crowded, they were fun. It was the perfect way to let all that stress accumulated at school go. The floridian boys got one of the most enthusisatic crowds I've seen this far. Aside from the moshing, there was non-stop headbanging, lyric yelling, general screaming and chants (alternating between "Death" and "Chuck"). After a violent "Baptized in Blood" with Gus from Malevolent Creation on druma and a beautiful, very atmospheric rendition of "Cosmic Sea", the band left the stage and a montage of photos and videos making an overview of Chuck's life and career (except for Control Denied, that was mysteriously omitted). This and the whole show was the most beautiful way one could have thought of honoring his wonderful and groundbreaking works. After this moment of contemplation, the intensity went up to its peak. When they came back to play the classic "Zombie Ritual" from 1987's Scream Bloody Gore, it seemed like everyone unleashed their frustration of seeing such a great musician and person die so young for no reason. The same intensity continued until the grand finale with "Pull the Plug". Everyone had an increadible time (except for one guy who thought he was at Heavy MTL and asked me when the other bands were playing...) and it was even cooler since all the profits of the tour went to Sweet Relief, a foundation for musicians with no health insurance.

Death to All

Flattening of Emotions
Leprosy
Suicide Machine
Left to Die
Spiritual Healing / Within the Mind
Together As One
Baptized in Blood
Cosmic Sea (with bass solo)

----------------------

Zombie Ritual
Living Monstrosity
Lack of Comprehension

-----------------------

Pull the Plug

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Dittohead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
(except for one guy who thought he was at Heavy MTL and asked me when the other bands were playing...)

Excellent reveiw as always man! Sounds like a great time! Wish I coulda been there too, but after Sunday, just didnt have the cash

Definitely catch up with you though at Cannibal/Napalm and Rockfest!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
N00B

This is coming to my area pretty soon (Fillmore in Silver Spring, MD) and I'm really on the fence about going up until reading this review. Not to mention I didn't realize it was a primarily Human set which is my favorite Death album, so thanks for the review as I'm absolutely going to go see this show.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlashyrkhMR101 View Post
This is coming to my area pretty soon (Fillmore in Silver Spring, MD) and I'm really on the fence about going up until reading this review. Not to mention I didn't realize it was a primarily Human set which is my favorite Death album, so thanks for the review as I'm absolutely going to go see this show.
You're making the only right choice.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

That's funny about the MTL guy.

Digiorgio is so awesome!

This show falls in the same category of too many shows........
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

that was an amazing show, I had so much fun finally hearing these amazing songs live. A bit short but still a great evening

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlashyrkhMR101 View Post
you can get $14 + fees tickets last time I checked- bogo they billed it as, man. And they added the Exhumed group, so if you see Suffocation tomorrow at Empire/Jaxx, you can see them 2x. O_O:
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
you can get $14 + fees tickets last time I checked- bogo they billed it as, man. And they added the Exhumed group, so if you see Suffocation tomorrow at Empire/Jaxx, you can see them 2x. O_O:
Are you saying that tickets for Death To All show on Friday are being sold for only $14 +fees? Where's your source?!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR_XVI View Post
Are you saying that tickets for Death To All show on Friday are being sold for only $14 +fees? Where's your source?!
He's right, it's on ticketmaster. Of course after I already bought my two tickets
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM
N00B

Awesome review as always. I am seeing this in Toronto on Sunday and I cannot wait.

Tickets were a bit pricey for me - $45 after fees (if I recall correctly) but this may be the only time I get to see Death live. I don't mind the price if a chunk of this money goes to helping those with health problems or finding a cure.
04/24 - Nile

Tags
death to all