Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Danzig -- Denver, CO -- April 19th, 2013

Danzig w/ Doyle, Corrosion of Conformity & The Agonist
Friday, April 19th @ The Ogden Theater, Denver, CO

This has been a show I've been counting down towards. I've seen Danzig once before a couple years ago, but his performance last night was leaps and bounds over the last time I saw him perform.

The Agonist opened. They were decent, had a female vocalist who had a good range vocally and the band sounded pretty tight.

Next up was Corrosion of Conformity. I was very stoked to finally catch the band. Obviously very different with the departure of Pepper, but the remaining three members do a damn good job jamming hard and playing their asses off. I am a casual fan of the band, and recognized a few of the songs (all off of 2012's self-titled). None of the big hits from the Pepper era, and if they did play anything from back in the day, I didn't recognize it. If anyone attends one of these shows and can fill me in on the tunes, I'd love to know. They were sooooo tight. You can tell the trio have spent countless hours jamming with each other and it showed last night. Woody was shredding with a huge grin and they just kicked ass.

Then came Glenn fucking Danzig. This set is pretty accurate if I remember right, there may have been another song or two in one of the encores:

SkinCarver
Hammer of the Gods
Twist of Cain
Am I Demon
Her Black Wings
Devil's Plaything
Blood and Tears
Dirty Black Summer
How the Gods Kill
It's Coming Down

Danzig brings out Doyle...

Death Comes Ripping
Vampira
I Turned Into a Martian
Night of the Living Dead
Astro Zombies
Last Caress

Doyle exits, back to Danzig catalog...

Soul on Fire
Not of This World
Mother

Encore:
Long Way Back from Hell
Skulls

Encore 2:
London Dungeon

This show was unbelievable, incredible, life-altering, etc. The band came out and kicked things off with Skincarver and Hammer of the Gods. Then Danzig said something like "That's all the new songs we'll be playing, the rest of our set will be the old shit. It's our 25 year anniversary and we're playing all the old stuff". Then they immediately kicked in to Twist of Cain and everything from there was astounding.

After It's Coming Down, Danzig asked "Are you guys tired or what? I was about to bring Doyle out but..." and the crowd interrupted him with cheers. Doyle came stomping out like Frankenstein and then they ripped through some Misfits tunes.

I cannot express the sheer and utter joy I had watching Danzig sing The Misfits tunes. Danzig can still belt out the classic tunes, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well he was able to sing the classics. Before Astro Zombies, Danzig said "I wrote this song when I was young, it's my kind of love song." And when they played Last Caress? Magic.

Then Doyle left the stage and they wrapped up with the Danzig tunes. Then came the encores and it was just fantastic. There were a few sound problems through the set, including a ton of feedback on Danzig's mic and his mic would cut in and out at times. Plus the stage lights went out during one of the Misfits' tunes, but they still finished brilliantly. Knowing how Danzig shows have gone before, I was anticipating an on-stage freak-out over the difficulties. But it never came, and Danzig stormed around the stage and killed it.

If you have a chance to catch a show on this tour, you have to go. I will not get over this show for a long time and will never forget the night I got to see Glenn Danzig perform not just Misfits' music, but a killer set start to finish.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Juice View Post
Devil's Plaything
Blood and Tears
It's Coming Down
Soul on Fire
Not of This World

It's been awhile since he's played these. How did Soul On Fire sound? I've wanted to hear him do that one live for a long time now.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

He sounded sharp. In between song dialogue, his voice sounded rough, but when it mattered and he was singing, he was spot on. It was a special show, and you can tell the band put a lot in to making it a great performance start to finish.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM
N00B

Thanks, I am going Monday to Austin show. Your post got me stoked! Can't wait!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM
N00B

This review is drastically different from another one from not too long ago where they talk about Danzig ....not putting on a good show at all
Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Well I mentioned that point in my review, did you read the whole thing? I saw him in Boulder in 2011 and wasn't blown away. I saw him in Denver on Friday and was blown away. If it was below-par, I would not have wasted time writing up a positive review. The man and his band deserves credit for the performance in Denver and I gave it to him. If you don't want to go, don't. But I think anyone who can make one of these shows should attend.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo

Tags
corrosion of conformity, danzig, the agonist