Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgrass View Post
I thought you guys were talking about MSG when referencing "the Garden" the entire time I was reading this thread up until now. I just looked up shows on setlist.fm and found out you meant the TD Garden in Boston

Was skeptical about the thought of Avenged Sevenfold playing Madison Square Garden anyway.
Isn't MSG not much bigger than the TD Garden? And New York also has like 12x the population that Boston has, so I don't think it'd be that much more difficult.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Fuck you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Isn't MSG not much bigger than the TD Garden? And New York also has like 12x the population that Boston has, so I don't think it'd be that much more difficult.
MSG is listed at 20K even. I've never been there, so I'm not sure.

I know the actual seating capacity at the Garden is 17,565 for Bruins games & 18,624 for Celtics games. Probably around 18K for endstage concerts when you account for the people on the floor making up for the tarped off seats behind the stage.

And while Boston's population isn't anywhere near NYC's, you can get from Rhode Island & New Hampshire to the Garden quicker than you can get from Staten Island to Manhattan. But that clearly didn't happen last night. My friend photographed the show last night and he said there were between 6-7K there. Whoever has it in their head that these semi-major bands in sports arena tours are a good thing is a fucking dolt. Yeah, Avenged Sevenfold has a #1 album. So does Skid Row and they played at Wally's Pub last year.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Banned Asshole

not quite. love that rush actually publishes their numbers:

TDG
9,861/10,031 (2012)
11,331/11,903 (2010)

MSG
13,207/13,207 (2011)
11,786/12,125 (2007)

also, How Are Passion Pit Playing Madison Square Garden?
Quote:
Glancy explains the primary misconception that comes with booking an arena show: "You go to see the Knicks play at Madison Square Garden and there are 18,000 people. But you put the stage down, boom, you shrink that to about 12,000." Very few musicians Neil Diamond, U2, Dave Matthews, for instance play to 360 degrees of wall-to-wall fans at MSG. Most artists, like Passion Pit, sign on for 180 degrees and then add more if needed.

"We were originally selling for 12,300 and now we're up to around 13,000," says Cohen. So they kinda "sold out" the Garden, then? "But we can't actually say that because we don't want to turn anyone back. We're up to 220 degrees and we're going to 240. Sometimes that can mean pushing the stage back, but if there are no big columns or curtains in your production, you can open up the sides and sell more seats."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
And while Boston's population isn't anywhere near NYC's, you can get from Rhode Island & New Hampshire to the Garden quicker than you can get from Staten Island to Manhattan.
youre giving new englanders too much credit. people like you and i will travel all over, your average person wont. not to mention, while it might technically be quicker, that involves actually driving, trains in NYC cover more ground and more people.

i bet avenged would do fine at MSG.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Whoever has it in their head that these semi-major bands in sports arena tours are a good thing is a fucking dolt. Yeah, Avenged Sevenfold has a #1 album. So does Skid Row and they played at Wally's Pub last year.
I'm not in the concert/ticket business or anything but you don't need to fill a huge arena to turn a profit on the show. A lot of the times they'll account for this and use a smaller setup. I know when a lot of the mid sized hard rock/metal bands play the Air Canada Centre in Toronto they don't even sell tickets to the upper level and have that whole section closed off, and save money on less staff and stuff. Sometimes 6,000-7,000 people in an arena does the trick especially with food and beer and stuff.

Another thing is that the choice of venues in big cities doesn't allow for the perfect seating situation that fits the exact number of people who are going to go. I think i've said in threads before that bands like Avenged Sevenfold and other mid-sized hard rock/metal bands are sort of stuck in no man's land where they're too big for the theatres and not big enough to pack big arenas and amphitheatres. Some cities have smaller arenas that hold less than 10k but some just have the big NHL/NBA arenas and then the smaller clubs and theatres. I know people here mentioned the DCU Center in Worcester as being a better choice for this tour but I don't think that venue is much smaller than TD Garden. I also would assume that not all of the venues on this tour are as big as TD Garden, and it all just depends on what the city has to offer.

EDIT: Nvm, I just looked at the tour dates again and saw at least half the venues are big. Oh well.

Last edited by AnthG; 10-11-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Banned Asshole

DCU is quite a bit smaller than TDG. operational costs could be a bit less being in worcester instead of boston too.

as you were getting at though, just because they couldnt fill the place doesnt necessarily mean it was a financial disaster, but the fact the balcony was sold and then closed*, and then the $20 ($35) price level was added close to the show, would indicate it sold far less than they expected.

which you could chalk up to that "no man's land", except not only are there multiple smaller arenas in the area, but the promoter has booked avenged in two of them before, with even more commercially successful support**, so they obviously know what the band is capable of pulling. i know avenged not only debuted at billboard #1 again, but nearly matched sales of their last album (quite impressive considering the decline in sales in the past 3 years), but clearly that didnt warrant such a jump in venue size.

* what boggles me is they actually let people up to the balcony before closing and moving people (according to a dude who instagramed from both seats)

** stone sour/hollywood undead lowell 2011, three days grace/bullet for my valentine springfield 2011
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 AM
N00B

Hmmm, it appears you did your research...

I guess the only thing I can think of is either being a bit too over amibitious (which has been said before) or maybe that the promoter has a good relationship with that venue and was able to get a good deal? Is it a Live Nation tour, by any chance?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

So Deftones were fucking awful tonight in St. Louis.........

Third time seeing them, and the other two times were good. This time? Fucking horrendous.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
So Deftones were fucking awful tonight in St. Louis.........

Third time seeing them, and the other two times were good. This time? Fucking horrendous.
They didn't sound their best. I was in the pit about 4 people back from center and thought they sounded okay. The first 2 songs were definitely muddy and after that I thought only the bass guitar sounded muddy.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

I went to lawn for them.

Chino sounded absolutely awful tonight. So disappointed.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I went to lawn for them.

Chino sounded absolutely awful tonight. So disappointed.
That's a shame. They sounded great in Rosemont on October 3. Passenger was definitely the highlight of that entire night as it's one of my favorite songs and they didn't play it when I saw them for the first time opening for System Of A Down in August 2012.
Bastille (10/18)