Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Someone in the media got a copy of the new album and put a bit of a review about it!
From: http://www.anybodylistening.net/brea...p?topic=4233.0
Quote:
Hello guys and girls,

I follow the forum a lot and appreciate all the passion and love for the band that all of you share. Me included.

I just wanted to share some initial opinion of the new album. I just heard the promo and would like to share some thoughts after only one listening, because usually the first impression is always the most true.

First, I know that this is probably not the place to comment on that, but because there have been inevitable comparisons between the two albums - I really liked the new Geoff Tate - fronted album. Really. No joke. I think that it is on par with American Soldier and easily some of the best work till Promised Land.

So - let's get to the new "Queensryche" album and my first impressions. Soryy about not going into too much detail, but I haven't asked for persmission to make a long review yet:

1. The album is really short - 35 minutes, with and intro and a 55-long interlude in the middle of the album.
2. There are some instant classics like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "A World Without" and "Open Road". These are epic tracks and by "epic" I don't mean the track length, but the sound and the emotions they convey. Wonderful stuff, reminiscent of maybe something out of "Rage For Order"
3. There are some heavy, oldschool songs, with meaty riffs and uptempo, like "Vindication", "Spore" and "Fallout".
4. Scott is the star in this album. The drumming is absolutely stunning. Michael does some beautiful solos.

So, on a first listen, here is what I didn't like:

1. The production seems a little too compressed, with too many effects and layers used, which sometimes blur the second guitar and the bass. But I have to listed to the album a few more times and at a better stereo system to judge.

That's the album's only fault, haha!

You will love it guys. It is obvious what the buys and the producer have tried to achieve - to get the closest possible sound to "Rage" and keep close to this album's spirit, sound, production and overall attitude.
Even though it's only 35 minutes long, it's the quality of the songs that really counts. Some really amazing albums and songs have been quite short too.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM
The Cheese

I don't understand why it's only 35 minutes long. These are guys who have basically said in court that they have had fifteen years worth of their songs rejected by Geoff Tate. Fifteen years of songs and all you get is 35 minutes?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Some really amazing albums and songs have been quite short too.
Yeah, they're called EPs. Albums that length are called a con.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

You mean a con as in a rip off?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

35 minute albums:

pop punk bands - awesome
grindcore bands - triple album
doom bands - length of single track

Queensryche - con
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Slayer's Reign In Blood: 30 minutes
Rush's Permanent Waves: 35 minutes

What do you mean by "con"?

Last edited by Travis The Dragon; 05-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Žķestru

'Permanent Waves' had six songs; this has eleven. That sounds like an album of half-a-songs to me. And 'Reign in Blood' is a terrible example, considering that length is one of the biggest complaints leveled against it. Don't get me wrong either: I really love (old) Queensryche, and I want this album to be good. But 35 minutes sounds awfully incomplete.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
The Cheese

I wouldn't call it a con. Coheed's second most recent album was only 39 minutes long, but it was billed from the beginning as the first half of a two part set (the second part being considerably longer.) In fact, they were recorded at the same time and that fact was always public. I don't think that's what QR is doing here at all. And even if it, it's disingenuous since they're not talking about it at this point.

What I don't understand is, if you're going to talk about 15 years of rejected songs, I expect at least a 40-45 minute long album. Further, if you're only going to deliver 35 minutes, why wait a year?! It's been 11 months since Rising West first performed. Why not just get 20 minutes out as an EP? Why wait so long to play any of it live? They could've had the producer they wanted and beaten Geoff Tate to the punch under that approach. And since they're already re-using the name of the only other EP they've ever released...

Plus, all those examples are bad. Queensryche isn't Slayer. And Permanent Waves is a good example of basically the same genre, but it's from an era when Rush was releasing an album basically every year. And they were fucking classics, too. If QR drops something with the weight of Moving Pictures after this album I'd be genuinely shocked. It's going to be a gigantic break from 30+ years of established operation if Queensryche starts not only yearly albums, but genuine classic releases at that.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Never realized Permanent Waves was so short.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM

I don't completely understand why they're doing it this way either. Now, it has been stated at The Breakdown Room that they're already starting to write more material so it could be possible that they're going to release another album within the next year and that would make up for this release being so short. Regardless of length, I'm just glad to be getting an album that is written by the entire band and if it ends up living up to all the hype and is really amazing, I won't be complaining at all about the length.