Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Wait, are you saying you caught a Parker pick on GT's solo tour? That's pretty strange and hilarious
Yes, and it was the one that says "I'm nailing Geoff Tate's daughter"
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
N00B

Although to be fair that also can apply to the bassist in his solo band(who apparently is his son in law and the father of his grandson)
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
One who onions things

After a few listens, here's what I got-

The chorus is so wrong and out of place. It's like they tried to write a modern hard rock song, but with a super poppy chorus and it just doesn't work at all.

For the love of god, why so much autotune?! Yes, autotune is an industry standard by now, but it should NEVER be this distracting. Hell, it shouldn't even be noticeable to the untrained ear. Massive, massive mistake from Jimbo Barton on this one.

Todd sounds awesome, my worry about his ability to write vocal melodies has been totally alleviated. That being said, dude should be singing plain old heavy metal, not this metal/pop frankensong.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Although to be fair that also can apply to the bassist in his solo band(who apparently is his son in law and the father of his grandson)
Yeah, that whole thing is weird. I don't even really care to follow it. For as much flak as Tate got/gets about the family connections, Parker is a legitimately good guitarist. I always thought so. And in my view, that's what should count. That said, that particular pick is creepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
After a few listens, here's what I got-

The chorus is so wrong and out of place. It's like they tried to write a modern hard rock song, but with a super poppy chorus and it just doesn't work at all.

For the love of god, why so much autotune?! Yes, autotune is an industry standard by now, but it should NEVER be this distracting. Hell, it shouldn't even be noticeable to the untrained ear. Massive, massive mistake from Jimbo Barton on this one.

Todd sounds awesome, my worry about his ability to write vocal melodies has been totally alleviated. That being said, dude should be singing plain old heavy metal, not this metal/pop frankensong.
Well said.

A chorus like "Search and you’ll find the answers/To be the change that you want to see" makes it seem like someone forgot to tell them they aren't Journey. It's like "Take Hold of the Flame" but a few decades too late and less engaging. And not really the type of chorus I would've expected from them, given their heavily metal (pun intended) set list of late.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 03-27-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM
N00B

Quote:
Yeah, that whole thing is weird. I don't even really care to follow it. For as much flak as Tate got/gets about the family connections, Parker is a legitimately good guitarist. I always thought so. And in my view, that's what should count. That said, that particular pick is creepy
Yes it is, and hilarious

I only knew about the bassist because he was talking about his grandson, then looked at him and say "you fucked my daughter didn't you"
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Well said.
Thanks dude! About an earlier post you made, can you really not hear Eddie's bass? That's one thing I do like about Jimbo's work on the album, Ed's rumbling all throughout- his tone isn't super articulate, but he's totally there in the mix.

One thing I do have to say though, and I know I'll probably get some shit for this, but I think I actually like Todd's voice more than prime-era Geoff's. I'm also the kinda guy that would take Halford over Dickinson- I just like lower, gruffer mid-range vocals that Halford and Todd have in spades more than the air-raid siren thing that Tate and Bruce do.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 03-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Thanks dude! About an earlier post you made, can you really not hear Eddie's bass? That's one thing I do like about Jimbo's work on the album, Ed's rumbling all throughout- his tone isn't super articulate, but he's totally there in the mix.

One thing I do have to say though, and I know I'll probably get some shit for this, but I think I actually like Todd's voice more than prime-era Geoff's. I'm also the kinda guy that would take Halford over Dickinson- I just like lower, gruffer mid-range vocals that Halford and Todd have in spades more than the air-raid siren thing that Tate and Bruce do.
Hmm, well, maybe it is a tone issue. I like a really meaty bass presence in the mix, and my first impression of "Redemption" was that the bass was produced like a lot of Queensryche's 80's material... way too low in the mix. But you seem like a verb-based vegetable that knows his thing, so I'll give it another listen. I should caveat and say I've been listening mostly on my studio monitors. I don't think the compression (and there is debate over whether it's mostly due to YouTube or the track itself) is helping it in that respect, so I'll also give it a listen on a regular system.

I haven't really liked the production on a QR album since Promised Land, and that was Jimbo. Slater could bring out the bass (e.g. "Hostage" or a lot of the stuff on American Soldier) but there were so many other aspects of his production that just didn't do it for me. But Jimbo's production here is letting me down too, just for different reasons than Slater's.

My first impression of QR was from Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17. I thought Geoff Tate sounded like a metal castrati with the rest of the band being a second-rate Iron Maiden. My opinion quickly evolved, but I guess my point here is that I can totally see where you're coming from with respect to Geoff's voice and vocal preferences.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
The Cheese

Wait, have you heard the whole album? Or I am just reading that wrong
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Wait, have you heard the whole album? Or I am just reading that wrong
Oh no, I definitely haven't! Not yet anyway haha. I might get a promo sometime in May or something, the site I write for has a pretty good relationship with QR's PR folks.

And that's funny, my first real QR impression was Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17 too. I too thought that Geoff sounded badass and I paid basically zero attention to the rest of the band. I never picked up anything else besides the EP for a while, but the Brazil incident last year inspired me to pick up The Warning, Rage for Order and Empire. I thought The Warning was amazing and I would blast En Force whenever I would go driving, and the only thing I could think when I listened to Empire was "what the fuck happened to Geoff?! He sounds like ass now!" For a long time I couldn't even listen to Empire because I loved the way Geoff sounded on the 80s albums so much more.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Oh no, I definitely haven't! Not yet anyway haha. I might get a promo sometime in May or something, the site I write for has a pretty good relationship with QR's PR folks.

And that's funny, my first real QR impression was Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17 too. I too thought that Geoff sounded badass and I paid basically zero attention to the rest of the band. I never picked up anything else besides the EP for a while, but the Brazil incident last year inspired me to pick up The Warning, Rage for Order and Empire. I thought The Warning was amazing and I would blast En Force whenever I would go driving, and the only thing I could think when I listened to Empire was "what the fuck happened to Geoff?! He sounds like ass now!" For a long time I couldn't even listen to Empire because I loved the way Geoff sounded on the 80s albums so much more.
Okay, wasn't sure!

I can't believe you didn't really venture into QR until after the Brazil thing! That's kind of too bad. I first saw Queensryche live in 2005, and honestly, it was a whole different thing then. Whatever tensions flared in 2012 weren't on display then, and Geoff sounded great. I went into QR live with low expectations (Live Evolution, Art of Live) and came back impressed. (Quick aside, it's incredibly painful to read my writing from when I was still in high school. Fuck.)

I really think 2005 was a great year for QR... I also saw them open for Judas Priest, and heard them play a lot of the stuff they play with Todd now (En Force, QoTR, etc.) I wish you could've experienced that relatively recent QR with Geoff as a point of comparison. I skipped the Cabaret crap, and the D2C tour, so I haven't actually seen QR since 2009, when I thought the live show was still good, but not what it was in 2005.