Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I'll have to look out for this one. I don't really enjoy either of the 2 Holy Moses albums I have that much (Queen of Siam and World Chaos), though I'll definitely revisit them to see if I like them more now.

I don't know if I've ever seen a positive Holy Moses review
Honestly, Finished With the Dogs is great. I had never listened to Holy Moses before starting this little journey, and was definitely underwhelmed by Queen of Siam -- although how could you not be impressed by Sabina's vocals? It's like they flipped a switch for the second one though. RIFFFFFS!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Better check that out, then
Old 06-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Honestly, Finished With the Dogs is great. I had never listened to Holy Moses before starting this little journey, and was definitely underwhelmed by Queen of Siam -- although how could you not be impressed by Sabina's vocals? It's like they flipped a switch for the second one though. RIFFFFFS!
There's nothing wrong with her vocals; it's always cool to hear a female vocalist in thrash. My issue is more that those two albums were pretty boring. There are tons of riffs, but most thrash albums have tons of riffs. I'll still give them another shot anyways.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 06-20-2014, 04:42 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
There's nothing wrong with her vocals; it's always cool to hear a female vocalist in thrash. My issue is more that those two albums were pretty boring. There are tons of riffs, but most thrash albums have tons of riffs. I'll still give them another shot anyways.
No, I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with her vocals. Queen of Siam was just mediocre as hell. Definitely give Dogs a shot.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Sepultura - Schizophrenia - October 30, 1987

While Sepultura's first two releases, Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions were mish-mashes of black, death and thrash with varying degrees of success, their third release, Schizophrenia finds Max & Co. mainlining pure, premium grade fucking thrash. Let's put emphasis on the premium part too, OK? Sure, some ideas still come out of left field like they did on their earlier efforts, but they are less "what in the fucking fuck?" and more "shit, that's fucking heavy". Max's vocals on Schizophrenia may be a little raspy and drenched in a black-esque reverb too, but that's OK because Max's vocals are not the star of the show here. Max's vocals do not need to set the world on fire, they just need to be adequate and not awful.

So what is the star of the show? Why, Max's supreme riffing, of course. The sheer number of quality riffs crammed into Schizophrenia is enough to vault it into the upper echelon of thrash albums as it is, let alone the ridiculously intense attack of the guitars, new guitarist Anders Kisser's frantic leads and Igor's soon-to-be signature drum style. The production is not the best, but that should probably be expected, given the band's origins, but it does not really take away from the overall impact of the album.

Yes folks, Schizophrenia is a quality piece of thrash metal. The first four tracks after the intro are absolutely brilliant. The next four are less so, but still shit all over at least 80% of what passed as thrash metal in 1987. The scary thing is, Schizophrenia is just Sepultura getting warmed up.

Standouts: From the Past Comes the Storms, Escape to the Void, Inquisition Symphony

Score: 9/10
Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Amazing album. So many memorable riffs on this CD! Even "The Abyss" is great! Sepultura were such a powerful band during the late 80s/early 90s.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Schizo used to be my favorite Sepultura album until I listened to Beneath the Remains more . Really good, though! Andreas did wonders fo that band.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

To The Wall is the song I remember liking the most from that album. Inquisition Symphony is also the jam. I'd like From The Past Comes The Storms more if the riff that shows up at 0:55 appeared 700 more times.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
To The Wall is the song I remember liking the most from that album. Inquisition Symphony is also the jam. I'd like From The Past Comes The Storms more if the riff that shows up at 0:55 appeared 700 more times.
You really can't go wrong with any of those first four songs. I could have easily put To the Wall on my list of three standouts in place of one of the others... or I should have just made four standouts lol
Old 06-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
You really can't go wrong with any of those first four songs. I could have easily put To the Wall on my list of three standouts in place of one of the others... or I should have just made four standouts lol
Eh, those were all appropriate picks. I actually haven't listened to the album in awhile so I should re-research it.