Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Altars of Radness

Damn. I keep hoping the next review will be Schizophrenia.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Coming soon! Man, looking at my list, October of '87 was one hell of a month for thrash!

I've slowed down quite a bit on my reviewing. It's getting harder to write something (relatively) interesting about mediocre thrash albums, so I'll probably shorten my reviews to a couple sentences on a lot of the middling albums. The incredibly awful or incredibly great will still get thorough thrashings (see what I did there?) or fellatings (not a word).

Last edited by El Gordo; 04-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Don't get me wrong, Pleasures of the Flesh is a very solid thrash album. There are still loads of great riffs and equally great songwriting. It's just that Bonded By Blood (which I only gave an 8.5, so it's not as if I think it was perfect) set the stage for some truly great stuff and the follow-up seems like somewhat of a letdown because of it.
Score: 8/10
I would rate this higher and consider it Exodus' best album. Side 1 was OK to good but I thought side 2 was outstanding, it still angers me that they ignore this album entirely in their current shows. I would agree it was heavily influenced by Master of Puppets but I loved the longer songs' high speed riffing that would go on for a few minutes at a time without vocals. The end of Choose Your Weapon is a great example of this.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Sacrifice - Forward to Termination - October 12, 1987

Sacrifice's debut, Torment in Fire was a forgettable album. It was long on youthful enthusiasm, but short on coherent songwriting among other things. Two years later, Rob Urbinati and company return with a wildly improved sound. The enthusiasm of the debut is still there, but they've decided to throw in a ridiculous amount of twisted thrash riffs and some pretty ambitious songwriting.

Urbinati's vocals are about as extreme as thrash vocals get without being labeled death/thrash while his leads, coupled with those of fellow guitarist Joe Rico make for a kind of "Slayer North"... or something. Did I mention there were a lot of awesome riffs, too? One of the best ever is present here, actually. The main riff in "Re-Animation" is one of those ridiculously simple riffs that is just so damn infectious that it is genius. The band does get bogged down however, trying to get a little too progressive as evidenced in the nearly 8-minute "Flames of Armageddon" among others.

Forward to Termination is a massive thrash album though. Even though the progressive elements may be seen as a weakness at times, they also add a unique flavour which sets Sacrifice apart from the growing legions of Slayer imitators of the day. The fact that it is as raw and rough as anything you'll hear helps too.

Standouts: Re-Animation, Terror Strikes, Forever Enslaved

Score: 9/10
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

Coroner - R.I.P. - June 1, 1987

Score: 9.5/10

Just finished listening to this for the first time and goddammit, I'd have to agree!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Old Guy

I think I have RIP on cassette, need to dig it up and relisten to it. Just saying that makes me feel old.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Sacred Reich - Ignorance - October 13, 1987

Sacred Reich can probably be best described as a less catchy Metallica with more generic vocals. That may sound a little harsh, but it's not a damning judgement of the band or album by any means. Ignorance features a lot of very good to great riffs and a few excruciatingly heavy moments and is a decent representation of thrash in 1987 (which may or may not be viewed as a good thing since the genre was becoming heavily saturated at this point). Ignorance is probably best taken in small doses though, as the cold, oppressive, almost militaristic feel can get a little tiresome. If Ignorance had been released two years earlier, it would probably receive a little more love from me, but for late 1987, it is a good emulation of its predecessors with a few moments of originality.

Standouts: Ignorance, Victim of Demise, Violent Solutions

Score: 7/10
Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I agree with most of your comments except for the last one. I do think originality adds value to an album, but a lack of originality isn't necessarily a bad thing. In Sacred Reich's case, this is just an album filled with wicked riffs. It doesn't need to be anything more.
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Sacred Reich can probably be best described as a less catchy Metallica with more generic vocals.
Perfect description of them. By 1987 thrash was already becoming a diluted style. Sacred Reich wasn't a bad band by any means, but they did little to differentiate themselves from the hoards of copycats appearing around this time. When you look back their music today they're nothing more than an perfect stereotype for the American thrash metal sound, and I suppose that is why the retro-thrashers latch onto them so tightly.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Perfect description of them. By 1987 thrash was already becoming a diluted style. Sacred Reich wasn't a bad band by any means, but they did little to differentiate themselves from the hoards of copycats appearing around this time. When you look back their music today they're nothing more than an perfect stereotype for the American thrash metal sound, and I suppose that is why the retro-thrashers latch onto them so tightly.
Exactly. They're good at what they do, but what they do has been done before... I don't hate the record by any means, but I get halfway through and start thinking, "what's the point?"