Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Terribile Certainty is definitely a transition album (even though Blind Faith and Storming With Menace fucking rule). If I were to redo my top 100 metal albums, this would probably be off and replaced by Destruction or something.
Yeah, upon revisiting it I was initially going to give it a much higher score. Mille just piles the riffs in on that album. I started paying attention to how the songs were constructed though, which brought it back down to earth for me.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
it's obvious that Tankard will always live in the shadows of Kreator, Destruction and Sodom (and rightfully so).
I agree with this, but I think you're too harsh on Tankard. Their old stuff is not quite as good as their recent records, but it's still a lot of fun.
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I agree with this, but I think you're too harsh on Tankard. Their old stuff is not quite as good as their recent records, but it's still a lot of fun.
Well, I did admit that I was too tough on Zombie Attack, and I really tried to like Chemical Invasion. Like, really. But like I said, it's competent thrash metal and little else. I'm not denying that Tankard is fun. Fun doesn't necessarily mean an 8/10 rating though.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Sodom - Expurse of Sodomy - October 1, 1987

I sincerely hope Onkel Tom thanks the deity of his choice every day for the gift of Frank 'Blackfire' Gosdzik in 1987. It's quite possible that without Blackfire, Sodom would be a mere curiosity in the world of metal and Thomas Such would be back toiling away in the coal mines of Gelsenkirchen. Instead, Blackfire convinced Tom to move away from the sloppy, lo-fi sounds of his early works in favour of tighter, more concise songs with less emphasis on occult themes. Blackfire's first recording with the band is this excellent three-song EP and the sound is worlds away from Obsessed By Cruelty, released only a year earlier. There are still hints of the filthy black/thrash of early Sodom and indeed, most of Sodom's best work features that filthiness but these are some thrash scorchers of a very high caliber. Blackfire's nimble fretwork is a definite highlight but so are the shredded vocals of Angelripper which are a perfect fit for the band's new sound. This is the true debut of Sodom, and a great precursor to the classic that would follow only two months later.

Standouts: All of 'em

Score: 8/10
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Altars of Radness

A remarkable EP, but I wouldn't call it their true debut. I know what you're saying in regards to the stylistic changes, but I'd argue their beginnings were their most influential pieces of work. In the Sign of Evil still stands as one of their most well know releases and although Obsessed by Cruelty is often glossed over today it was an important album in its time. Those first two releases served as an inspiration to many of the upcoming black and death metal bands. I do think Sodom reached their musical peak in 1987, but by the time they had fully transitioned to thrash metal it was already a very popular style.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
A remarkable EP, but I wouldn't call it their true debut. I know what you're saying in regards to the stylistic changes, but I'd argue their beginnings were their most influential pieces of work. In the Sign of Evil still stands as one of their most well know releases and although Obsessed by Cruelty is often glossed over today it was an important album in its time. Those first two releases served as an inspiration to many of the upcoming black and death metal bands. I do think Sodom reached their musical peak in 1987, but by the time they had fully transitioned to thrash metal it was already a very popular style.
I don't disagree with you. In the Sign of Evil is probably the most influential thing that Sodom ever put out, but what I mean is that Expurse of Sodomy was the debut of Sodom as we know the band today. Those first two releases may have helped spawn a host of black and death metal bands, but without their shift in sound I don't think Sodom would have become as popular as they have.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Those first two releases may have helped spawn a host of black and death metal bands, but without their shift in sound I don't think Sodom would have become as popular as they have.
Completely agree. Also, I need to actually listen to that EP.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Whiplash - Ticket to Mayhem - October 2, 1987

Whiplash's second full length largely picks up where their debut left off -- bombastic, blistering speed-thrash with little room for anything else. Ticket to Mayhem features a little more variety in the songwriting department and thus is a bit of a better listen than Power and Pain. Indeed, there's even a song that is more of less a power ballad ("Last Nail in the Coffin") but songs like "The Burning of Atlanta" and "Snake Pit" hit you with thrash riffs aplenty while drummer Joe Cangelosi relentlessly pummels your eardrums. Frontman Tony Portaro has a real knack for writing melodic riffs while keeping them every bit as vicious as some of his East Coast brethren. New York City had quite the thrash scene in the mid-80's, and while the Bay Area may be the more glamourous one, with bands like Whiplash, in addition to the likes of Overkill, Carnivore & Nuclear Assault, New York was probably home to the more ruthless one.

Standouts: The Burning of Atlanta, Spiral of Violence, Eternal Eyes

Score: 7. 5/10
Old 04-18-2014, 04:29 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Ticket to Mayhem features a little more variety in the songwriting department and thus is a bit of a better listen than Power and Pain.
This is why I think it's worse. "Walk The Plank" is amazing, but other than that, I rarely pull out this album because Power and Pain is so brilliant. It's still a decent record though.
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 AM

Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh - October 7, 1987

In my review of Bonded by Blood, I mentioned that there was a bit of a mismatch between the previous Exodus vocalist, Paul Baloff and the rest of the band. So, when they fired him for "personal and musical differences" and hired former Testament/Legacy vocalist Steve "Zetro" Souza, it could only result in good things, right?

RIGHT?

Well... kind of. As much as Baloff's barking could get tiresome, there was an endearing quality to it. Even though it didn't fit the music perfectly, it just FIT the MUSIC! Baloff gave hope to thrash fans that if your favourite band asked you to do lead vocals for them, you could do it because Paul Baloff did it. Without Baloff, Exodus lost a bit of what made them Exodus. It's not that Zetro is a bad vocalist either -- far from it. In fact, as far as snarly, higher-pitched thrash vocalists go, it'd be hard to find a better one this side of some guy named Blitz. The music behind the vocals has changed as well. It's not that there aren't moments of pure twisted thrash mayhem like on the debut album -- there are actually quite a few -- witness "Brain Dead" or "Choose Your Weapon" among others. The music is more melodic and refined than it was on Bonded By Blood though. It's not as fresh or intense or original. It's as if they listened to what their Californian peers were doing and blurred the line a little bit between Exodus and the other guys (which I'm pretty sure is exactly what they did).

Don't get me wrong, Pleasures of the Flesh is a very solid thrash album. There are still loads of great riffs and equally great songwriting. It's just that Bonded By Blood (which I only gave an 8.5, so it's not as if I think it was perfect) set the stage for some truly great stuff and the follow-up seems like somewhat of a letdown because of it. Also, it's kind of sad that Bonded By Blood would turn out to be their best album cover until almost 20 years later.

Standouts: Brain Dead, Choose Your Weapon, 'Til Death Do Us Part

Score: 8/10