Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014

Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Also, I expect to see the all mighty "Beneath the Remains" somewhere in that "1989" section with a perfect 10/10.
I do to. Though I will settle for a 9.5
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'd love to hear the debate as to why Kill Em All isn't a perfect album....
That's easy. Too much of it sounds exactly the same, some killer tracks though it has.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
with a post like that it shows you never saw Maiden live man

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Maybe to fanboys...

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

In regards to Reign In Blood, I think the only album more overrated than it is Master of Puppets. That being said, there is a clear distinction that Reign In Blood actually did something for the thrash genre rather than Lars pushing Cliff's hippie tendencies to the forefront of his band to fool moron journalists and critics into thinking Metallica was better than they actually were.

Even though there would be much better thrash albums to be made (even from 1986), Reign In Blood does deserve credit for at the very least, lighting a fire under the ass of the metal world. Love it or hate it, it truly did push the boundaries of metal much more so than Metallica trying to claim they were much deeper than being just a speed metal band (imagine the horror of that). It was an inspiration for not only thrash, but black, death, grindcore, and I actually think its underrated in that you don't hear it be given a whole lot of credit for bringing the punk and metal scenes together.

No my issue with this album is that there is quite clearly filler on it. All the people who claim "every note of every beat of every song is flawless." No. No No No No No. This album has filler. Repeat it in your head over and over until you have convinced yourself.

I also agree with Gordo in that quite a few of the songs are a bit underdeveloped. These songs are namely Piece By Piece, Necrophobic, and I'm also gonna throw Criminally Insane into that mix. I think people overrate Criminally Insane because that middle riff is so awesome they think they hear it and the beginning of the song and think it's the primary riff to the whole thing, whereas the intro is not quite as interesting.

I do think there are more good songs than just the first and last tracks; Angel of Death, Raining Blood, Postmortem, Altar of Sacrifice, Jesus Saves and the most underrated track on here Epidemic. Pay attention to the thrash break in that last one, simply fantastic. Obviously Angel of Death wins the knockout of the night, but that one can't be overlooked.

An album with no filler means that in this MP3 age where you can hear the "hits" anytime you want, the rest of the album, when you finally get it, stands up on its own. I became quite familiar with Angel of Death and Raining Blood as MP3s long before I got the album and the rest of the album just couldn't wow me like those two did. When I got Van Halen 1 I had long become familiar with Running With The Devil, Eruption/You Really Got Me, Jamie's Cryin and Ain't Talkin Bout Love. And that last one was my favorite Van Halen song ever for a while....until I got the album and heard I'm The One. That song, Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight and every other song tore my fucking head right off. And that was after following the same process as I did with Reign In Blood. That's how you can tell an album has filler. Reign In Blood has filler, though its more deserving of "greatest metal album of all time" than Master of Puppets ever was, because at least it influenced good ideas instead of bad ideas.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

That's a good point about bringing the metal and punk scenes together. I never thought about that.

I still maintain that Reign in Blood is the lesser of their first five albums.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Possessed - Beyond the Gates - October 31, 1986

Given that Possessed's first effort was one of the most extreme and brutal thrash metal releases ever, hopes must have been high for their sophomore effort. Presumably to the chagrin of many (some?) though, Larry LaLonde's dirty little secret seems to make a concerted effort to sound more like Metallica rather than Death on Beyond the Gates. While it's definitely not a bad thing to refine a sound to a desired goal, Seven Churches was such a revelation that this album can be seen as nothing but a disappointment. Is it an enjoyable listen? Of course it is. The overall tone is still oppressively heavy, with Jeff Becerra's barking vocals leading the way over the whirling guitars and pounding drums.

What's that I hear, though? Is that a hint of melody in the vocals, especially noticeable on "Phantasm"? Is that a riff that sounds like an early demo of "Trapped Under Ice" ("Tribulation")? The answer is yes. This is a band who has decided to reel themselves in, and let other bands blaze the trail to death metal, content to become an also-ran in the thrash metal genre.
I'm being harsh though. This is a good album, as far as thrash in 1986 goes, and probably among the top 10 releases of that year. There are still few bands heavier than Possessed at this point, but there are also bands who play tighter and write more interesting songs.

Standouts: No Will To Live, Tribulation, March To Die

Score: 7/10
Old 07-20-2013, 04:56 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Kreator - Pleasure To Kill - November, 1986

Album number two in the so-called "unholy trinity" of 1986 is an interesting one. Kreator reaches speeds here that are unheard of other than on Slayer's Reign in Blood, the first of that trinity, although these Germans do it much more sloppily than their American counterparts. In fact, while the speed of "Ripping Corpse" and the title track are impressive, there isn't a whole lot of interest riff-wise. When you strip the songs down, a lot of them are pretty mediocre riffs played really fucking fast. The album really doesn't do a whole lot for me until we get to the mid-paced section in the title track, which is just ruthless.

Mille and Ventor switch up doing vocals just like on their debut, but we are slowly seeing Mille taking over. Unlike the first though, I actually think the songs that Ventor sing on are better than most of the Mille-fronted ones. "Riot of Violence" is a killer thrash tune, while a lot of Mille's songs are just too fast and sloppy to be truly enjoyable, although "The Pestilence" is an absolute skull-crusher.

All that being said though, Pleasure to Kill is a pretty important album in the grand scheme of things. Other than Possessed's Seven Churches and the aforementioned Slayer album, this has got to be the biggest influence on death metal at the time, not to mention its hand in moving the thrash genre forward to more extreme tempos and harsher vocals.

Standouts: Riot of Violence, The Pestilence, Command of the Blade

Score: 8/10
Old 07-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Sepultura - Morbid Visions - November 10, 1986

There's a quote from Max Cavalera that I'll always remember that goes something like, "Back in Brazil there were definitely bands who had more talent than Sepultura, but Sepultura had the attitude," or something. That statement certainly rings true enough when listening to their full-length debut, Morbid Visions.

Don't get me wrong, Sepultura certainly play fast enough, but there's a sloppiness to their playing and a repetitiveness to their songwriting at this point which do nothing to separate them from the pack of thrash bands who are already starting to flood the market. Max's vocals here are also nothing compared to what they would become -- raspy, barked and largely monotone. Where they do set themselves apart is the youthful, reckless abandon with which they play. The feeling is so undeniably evil, so butt-fucked-with-a-chainsaw that you can't help but get caught up in stuff like "Troops of Doom" and "Funeral Rites".

It's not all just fast stuff either. There are moments, like the intro of "Show Me the Wrath" which are twistingly heavy at a pretty slow speed. Doom? No, but good thrash features variation in speed, and Sepultura are toying with that here. This is no landmark album, but it's the last of theirs to occupy that middle ground between thrash, black and death, and at the least it's a fun and nostalgic listen.

Standouts: Troops of Doom, Funeral Rites, Morbid Visions

Score: 7/10
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Pleasure to Kill should get a 9/10. As much as I love Sepultura I think that score for Morbid Visions should be much MUCH lower. As much as i love me some sepultura I think Morbid Visions is nothing more than a slayer carbon copy with super shitty production and funny broken english. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Pleasure to Kill should get a 9/10. As much as I love Sepultura I think that score for Morbid Visions should be much MUCH lower. As much as i love me some sepultura I think Morbid Visions is nothing more than a slayer carbon copy with super shitty production and funny broken english. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
I have really gotten into Sepultura in the past year, and I agree this album is hard for me to really get into mostly because of the poor production and writing. The spirit is there but just a sloopy start. I love Necromancer off this album and of course Troops of Doom. Sepultura did make a huge leap on the next offering, Schizophrenia