Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I can't believe how people can get into these massive essays on albums they love. I write a write-up on an album and it usually consists of "I like this album, the guitars are good, this is the best song". And you have to imagine Cletus from the Simpsons reading it to you.

I'm glad you guys are so passionate.
It's funny you say that. When I first started writing, my reviews were so long and in-depth that they'd be a chore to read. I think the first review I ever wrote was a retrospective article on Tales from the Twilight World by Blind Guardian and it ended up being like 9 pages long haha. If anything, I feel like it takes genuine skill to accurately review an album in a concise manner. It's something that I certainly haven't nailed yet anyway.

And JRA, I apologize if my post was a bit on the mean spirited side, that's what happens when I go on metal forums at 2 AM haha. All three of us- you, me and El Gordo have obviously dissected this shit from a musical and historic perspective to death and we've reached three different conclusions, let's just be happy with that and wait to see what El Gordo has to say next!
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 06-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
In any case I think we've come to a mutual understanding. I'm looking forward to the writeups on Pleasure To Kill and Darkness Descends.
Oh man, you're not going to like one of those...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I read through that UltraBoris review, and I agree with most of it. I personally have always thought Master of Puppets was a mediocre album. Even when I was getting into thrash and heavier metal I never cared too much for it. I think saying the album killed metal is being really overdramatic, but I understand that people calling it the definitive thrash album is far from accurate. It is just one of, if not the most popular. I agree that it serves as a gateway album for metalheads looking for heaver, faster stuff, so that is cool. But I just could never get into it.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I actually don't even agree with the assessment that Puppets killed heavy metal. The Black Album and Vulgar Display of Power are way more guilty of that charge. (both albums I love).
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
I actually don't even agree with the assessment that Puppets killed heavy metal. The Black Album and Vulgar Display of Power are way more guilty of that charge. (both albums I love).
I wasn't accusing you of that, don't worry haha. I read through what you said and thought it was pretty spot-on.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 05-26-2013, 07:38 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Voivod - Rrroooaaarrr - March 14, 1986

As I've stated a few times, I've never understood why Voivod's early work is regarded as legendary. Their first album is a sloppy mess of punk and metal with a drunken French-Canadian ranting about being a fish over top. Upon revisiting their second release though, I realized there is some promise here. The overall sound is still sloppy and the vocals are still largely incoherent, but the band benefits greatly from much better songwriting. Songs like "Slaughter in a Grave" and "Thrashing Rage" are good excercises in punky Motorhead-tinged thrash. There's still not enough here to convince me that this album should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Feel the Fire or Bonded By Blood, not to mention that it might be the worst album title ever, but it's a definite improvement on the first and I'm kind of intrigued to listen to Killing Technology again...

Standouts: The Helldriver, Thrashing Rage, Slaughter in a Grave

Score: 5/10
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Exumer - Possessed By Fire - April, 1986

Exumer are a lot like a German Exodus circa 1985 -- ultra-agressive thrash with an over-the-top vocalist who doesn't possess a whole lot in the way of real singing ability. It's easy to get swept up in the sheer speed of Exumer's attack here, and the band goes through riffs with reckless abandon -- which is part of the problem on this album. There are some really great fucking riffs here, but for the most part they just don't know how to put them together. In a lot of cases it seems like they've just hammered a lot of different riffs together that just don't want to fit. If Exumer possessed just a little more songwriting skill, this could really be one of the all-time greats. It's still a good album, and will get that head banging but it's not particularly memorable or iconic.

Standouts: Journey to Oblivion, Fallen Saint, Reign of Sadness

Score: 7/10
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Razor - Malicious Intent - April, 1986

This is Razor's third full-length, and fourth official release overall, and their sound really hasn't changed much over the course of their short career, except for the fact that they're stuck in full-speed ahead mode full time now. This is a problem. While there are good songs to be found, they all kind of blur into one because the speed and overall feel of each song is nearly identical. Not only that, but the drums are way too high in the mix. Every time M-Bro starts humping that ride cymbal, it drives me a little nuts.

It's not all bad though, in fact this isn't a bad album at all, it's just that Razor's sound is starting to get a little stagnant at this point, even though they've gotten slightly more aggressive here with more tremolo riffs and mainly faster tempos. The star of Malicious Intent (other than Dave Carlo, who is the star of any Razor album) absolutely must be vocalist Sheepdog, who is truly starting to live up to his name, howling and growling like... a... dog.

The problem with what Razor are doing at this point is that they aren't advancing their sound, while their peers are. Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Possessed, Anthrax & Megadeth have all released at least one (arguably) landmark album. Razor has not. They've remained more or less the same since their 1984 EP and at this point seem in danger of being left behind. Of course, with the benefit of this being 2013 and not 1986, we know this isn't the case, but you know, like, humour me.

Standouts: Rebel Onslaught, Stand Before Kings, Grindstone

Score: 6.5/10
Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

No, you do have a point. Razor did get left behind. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No, you do have a point. Razor did get left behind. The proof is in the pudding.
Well, I think some of their later albums are pretty excellent.