Behemoth -- Houston, TX -- January 29th, 2015
Slipknot -- Birmingham, England -- January 27th, 2015
Machine Head -- Baltimore, MD -- January 28th, 2015
Napalm Death -- St. Petersburg, FL -- January 28th, 2015

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Arrow John The Drummer's: NOW That's What I Call Music! Vol. 2014

Bam! Going to try my best to compile the small amount of new releases I heard last year (as is tradition) from Pantera to Hellyeah in the hopes I can make some sort of a "Top Whatever" List. Compared to most of you guys, especially MPF, I never get around to listening to many new releases at all, and if I do it's normally halfway through the next year, so this won't be as epic or amazing as a lot of what you guys have posted.... but I'll do mah best!

So... ummm... yeah... now I need to figure out what came out this year and rank thems

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM
That Guy

Narcotic Wasteland and Nuklear Frost

/thread
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

Even though we have very different tastes in music I dig your posts so I will be following this.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Narcotic Wasteland and Nuklear Frost

/thread
Pretty much this

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Even though we have very different tastes in music I dig your posts so I will be following this.
Thanks! After counting I only have about 30~ albums, but need to check a few to make sure they were 2014

Also, I may have posted the top 10 elsewhere, but there were a couple albums I had to leave out, so there will still be some surprises, as well as the other 20 or so albums

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

LETS GET THIS STARTED!

31. Hour of Penance - Regicide
Br00tal Tek Deths
It's Hour of Penance. A band that has finally broken out and gotten their name more well known than previously. Sadly.... since becoming more well known (and some line up changes), the music has declined a bit. It wasn't a bad album, but not very memorable either and just kinda there for the listen, then onto the shelf.

30. Ceremonial Castings - Chtulu
Symphonic Black Metal
Ceremonial Castings is a long running band from here in the Northwest. Never signed to a major label, yet have a huge catalogue of albums and have toured South America with Gorgoroth. Sadly, this release was their last release as they went on an indefinite hiatus. Being in a lower position doesn't mean its bad, the first impression of it was actually "This is badass!". They have taken a few steps away from the symphonic elements, and used the keyboards for atmosphere, more than actual song writing. The vocals were different as well, and took a long time to get used to, but added a whole new layer to their music witht he many new, and often weird, styles (think Inquisition). It's worth checking out if you like your Black Metal epic and deep.

29. Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
Agalloch
I struggled so hard with this album. I honestly did not know where to put it on my list. When I first heard the single on MPF's RADIO SHOW, I thought, "Great step in the right direction!" Then the first listen to the albumt was "This is great! So much better than 'Marrow'" but then as I listened to it again, I just thought "Man... maaaaaaaaan...." It just didn't click after that first spin. It was definitely better than 'Marrow', but was still missing SOMETHING, I just don't know what. However, it was not a complete bummer of an album, and still had that great Agalloch sound that so many have tried to copy, but none have mastered, except them... and Gallowbraid

28. Iron Reagan - Spoiled Identity EP
ADHD Grindy Thrashy Punk Circle Pit
I've seen this name thrown around here so much, so when I heard that they had a FREE EP available on their Bandcamp, what else could I do? I had to download it... and in about 12 minutes (?less?) I was blown away. This isn't a deep thinking band, nor album, nor a masterpiece, but its fun. Its in your face. Its for those of us that just want to put something on and not have to actively listen to it. Plus its free! I know there are a ton of other bands that released an album last year of the same style, and probably better, but this is what I heard!

27. Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls
Judas Priest all grown up
WTF WHY IS THIS PRIEST ALBUM SO LOW!? ITS THEIR BEST SINCE PAINKILLER! ITS A RETURN TO THEIR OG SOUND! ITS AWESOME! Yeah... all of this is true.... but much like Agalloch, I didn't get much out of it after that first listen. It is a great album, but it's also one that once you hear it once, you've heard it. There isn't much more to find buried in the album. But this does not go without saying that it certainly is their best 'Painkiller', and the addition of Richie Faulkner did not harm or change their sound at all, and added a bit more youth to the already energetic well oiled machine that Priest is. If I were to write this after only one listen, it would probably, no, it would be higher, and I am sure many of my higher albums would be lower too after the initial listen, but this one I tried and tried to stay entertained by, and just couldn't. But don't let my review bring down the 1 of you who haven't heard it yet, it's still great, and still needs some lovin'!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 01-06-2015, 03:42 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

26. Lvcifyre - Sun Eater
Portal's baby brother that Mom didn't care about
Who likes their Black Metal with an extra tablespoon of "wtf is going on"? Well this if for you. A band I originally heard on MPF'S RADIO SHOW and thought "WOW! I didn't think I liked Portal... but this is pretty awesome!" Only to find out that it isn't Portal, and a band that is definitely influenced by them. Lvcifyre brings everything evil and dark, and makes it even more evil. Honestly, I felt very uncomfortable listening to the intro to this album, and have since then fast forwarded over it every time . It's pure chaos, and makes me wish I could blast beat as fast and consistent as this guy!

25. Vesania - Deus Ex Machina
Polish'd up Symphonic Blackened Death Metal
Who likes Behemoth? Well here you go! Vesania is a *see style above* featuring Orion of Behemoth and Guitar and Vocal duties. Their album 'God The Lux' is one of my most favorite of this genre, so when I heard a few months back that they had a new album coming out, I got stoked. Now bear with me here, I have only listened to this album once, since I just got it a week or two ago. The album starts out strong, and track two is probably the catchiest and most bestest song on the album, even has a very Arcturus sound to it with the Carnival sounding keyboard line, but after that, it turns into a wash-rinse-repeat sound, as with most Polish Death Metal. It isn't bad at all, and they definitely have their own sound, but it would have been nice to have something that didn't blend together after half of the album was through. (i just realized how negative this review sounds, and how it makes no sense to have it above Priest.... but trust me ). In the end, its a great album, despite its lack of originallity throughout. Definitely needs another spin or two and it may raise... or lower.

24. Al Namrood - Heen Yadhar Al Ghsaq
If Melechesh were more kvlt
Al-Namrood, a very original sounding band from Saudi Arabia that takes the sound Melechesh has, but puts their own culture on it. One could listen to this album and think "God, this is... different... wtf?", or you one could listen and go "This is awesome for a band doing something so illegal in their country, yet being able to release it to the rest of the world!" 'Heen Yadhar' isn't their best album, by far, but it still a great one and the sound they were able to create really captured their culture and heritage, and not just sounding like a band trying to cash in from the sound Melechesh really brought to the front line. The vocals are a bit goofy on the first listen, but that does not take away from the magic the music itself has created. I had a very brief convo with one of the guys over FB, and he seemed like a very down to Earth and appreciative guy and thanked me very much for supporting his band

23. Exodus - Blood In Blood Out
Late era Exodus with mid era vocals without 10 hour songs
Exodus is back... and it sounds like Exodus! This is Exodus' first album since the last singer, Rob Dukes, taking leave, only to have their previous vocalist (whos name escapes me for some stupid reason) take over his vocal duties... and make one of the best sounding Exodus albums they've ever released! It isn't an OMG amazing album, but its great to not have those 7+ minute long thrash anthems like they have on more recent albums, and just the stripped down thrash and guitar solo duals with Gary and Lee (and a guest appearnce by Kirk Hammett of St. Anger). While listening to this I could tell Gary got some influence while filling in with Slayer on some of his riffs and solos. If you are not a fan of Exodus and want to know where to start, I would recommend this being a solid album. Easy to listen to, and easy to enjoy, without it being too much of an overhaul. But one question, wtf is up with the intro?

22. Cormorant - Earth Diver
Not as hipster as many may think!
Cormorant... a band who I've always shot down as a band that I did not think I'd like. Was it the name? Was it the hype (probably)? Was it just not wanting to test the waters? Who knows, but one thing I do know... IS THAT I AM GLAD I LISTEN TO MPF'S RADIO SHOW AND HEARD THEM FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THERE! This album as a whole really takes time to sink in, and is not an immediate catcher (at least for me not knowing what this band was about), but is a solid beginning album, and easily their best and most mature release to date. They had a sale on their Bandcamp page where you can buy all 4 of their releases, plus get a few free stickers, for like $50 or something, so of course I did that! There are some really great songs on this guy, and even some great bass lines! (if you listen to this, you know what I'm sayin). I cannot wait to hear more from these guys, and I really hope that they make it up here to Seattle sometime so I can catch them in all their live glory.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

21. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Continuing to crush souls, and Cold Lake cassettes
Who didn't list this album on their "Top XX of 2014" list? Triptykon is what Celtic Frost transformed into after they disbanded after putting out one of their most crushing albums, "Monotheist". Following the disbanding of 'Frost, Tommy G. put out one of the most soul crushing albums ever, the debut Triptykon album that no body knows the title to because it's so long, which easily took the cake as the heaviest, most depressing, most destructive album since Cold Lake, and left everyone wanting more, even after 70+ minutes of it... thus we got what we wanted, the follow up, Melana Chasmata, but was it worth the wait? Some say yes, some say meh, some don't know who they are, but in my opinion, it was a bit of the same. Now, is that necessarily a bad thing? No, not at all, but I certainly could have used something a little different. This does not mean that from beginning to end, this album delivers, and delivers well, and after hearing that Tommy G almost killed himself during the process of it, that really made the album even heavier and darker.

20. Machine Head - Bloodstone and Diamonds
Rob Flynn showing his love for Priest
Machine Head, a band that has gone through many changes from sound, look, members, everything! I found MH when they released Through The Ashes of Empires, and oved what I heard! I became an instant fan, and when The Blackening got released I loved them even more. Easily one of the best albums of the genre. After the Blackening I became a douche and thought I was too cool for them and skipped the album after that, but still knew taht I was a fan deep down. After hearing they were releasing a new album last year I was skeptical, especially since how could any band top such an amazing album like THe Blackening was??! Well, they didn't top it, but they sure got close to matching it! This album has gotten A LOT of hate, and it is all very unneeded. It starts out thrashy, then gets a bit more groovy, then gets kinda weird. It isn't the most streamlined Point A to Point B album, but that doesn't make it one to avoid! The song writing, the drumming, the riffs, everything just melds so perfectly and proves Robby F and Pals haven't lost their touch! Now hopefully they don't cancel their next tour in order to write an EP...

19. Skogen - I Doden
Darkness
I doubt anyone knows who this band is, and it is very upsetting. I randomly stumbled upon this album on YouTube and fell in love with it. I don't have much history or know much about them to really write a solid review of this, but for what I do know, its solid. Its heavy, atmospheric, dark, tasty, and highly underrated! It's been a few minutes since I've listened to it, as it was on repeat with me earlier in the year for about a week straight, but I knew I found something great! Recommended for those of you that just want to sit down, drink a brew, and relax.

Thats all for tonight! More tomorrow

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Headbanger

Great take on Machine Head and Exodus. I'm shocked at how great that Exodus album is. The guitar work is the best of any cd I listened to in 2014...

Never thought it would crack my Top 5 and it might take over #1 at some point. It's that good!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

took you long enough to catch up on Cormorant
10/10-11 California Deathfest
Old 01-06-2015, 07:08 PM
That Guy

I am feeling damn good that I have been influencing you so much this past year.

I'm even more happy that there is more to come!