Blind Guardian -- Worcester, MA -- September 16th, 2016
It Lies Within -- Toledo, OH -- December 2nd, 2016
Dark Tranquillity -- Mesa, AZ -- December 3rd, 2016
Spoken -- Westland, MI -- November 30th, 2016
Absu -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 14th, 2016

Old 01-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Altars of Radness

Treghet's annual shitlist

I guess it's time for me to get this thing started. Before I get to the new releases I'll recap a few of my favorite shows from 2015. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see half the shows I wanted to last year whether it was due to a lack of money or having to work. The biggest bummers were having to miss Bölzer (which I had already purchased a ticket for) and then Mgła / Revenge shortly after.

With that said, I did get to witness some shows that will definitely stick in my memory for life. Among them was Possessed at the Whisky a Go Go. Although Jeff is all that remains of the classic lineup you should never pass on the chance to hear those old death metal anthems live. This show was filmed for an upcoming DVD and they played all Seven Churches. The band was on fire and the sold out crowd reciprocated the energy.

Another show I will never forget is seeing Motörhead for the first and last time. Up until last year I had passed on Motörhead every time they played here for various reasons. I realized that it was now or never so I finally got out to see them. I wasn't expecting much from the show, but it turned out to be one of the funnest ones I've been to. The crowd went insane for them, which I really wasn't expecting since it was a lot of middle aged guys in attendance. There were two to three violent pits going on for most of the set and eventually they converged into a single giant one near the end. Needless to say Lemmy was not in top form, but it didn't really matter to me since I was enjoying the show so much. I am grateful that I had one last chance to see them live.

The best show of the year for me was Rush, who played a setlist that was beyond my wildest dreams. When the R40 tour was announced I figured we might get to hear a few rarities, but nothing too crazy. Instead the band went deep into the archives and pulled out numerous songs that they hadn't played live in many years, some for decades. Not only that, but somehow Geddy Lee managed to pull them off convincingly. It was by far the best Rush show I've seen and a fitting farewell to the fans who have supported them throughout their long and exceptional career.

The top list will be coming shortly...
Old 01-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

I'm still bummed about missing the R40 tour
Old 01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Altars of Radness

This top list will include my favorite albums, EPs, and demos of 2015. Prepare to be overloaded with extreme metal.

25. Gruesome - Savage Land

Anybody who has delved into old school death metal should recognize the impact Death had on shaping the genre in its primal years. Chuck Schuldiner and the revolving door of musicians that made up the band more or less laid the foundations for American death metal in the late ‘80s. Those early Death records inspired countless musicians who would go on to expand the confines of the genre. One of those musicians was a young Matt Harvey, who has now teamed up with few others to form Gruesome, which is meant to be a tribute to those classic albums of the past. What initially started as a fun side project has since turned into a full on band with a full length to their name now. On Savage Land they recapture the essence of Death’s unrefined, brutal years. There’s an ample amount of nostalgia to satisfy any old school fan here, but the same things that make the album a blast from the past are what hold it back from being unique in its own right. Too often you can pick out riffs inspired from specific songs or lyrics that nearly mirror those on the first three Death albums. To their credit, Gruesome has crafted a tribute album that really does pay tribute to Chuck’s work, but that’s really all it does in the end.

Hideous

24. Ithaqua - Initiation to Obscure Mysteries

For the longest time it seemed as though the classic Greek black metal style was dead and gone, but recently a few bands have resurrected the ways of the past. Among those names is Ithaqua, a newly formed band based in Athens. The inspiration is directly from the country’s storied classics, most notably those of Rotting Christ. On this rough sounding demo Ithaqua attempts to channel the energy of the youthful early ‘90s scene into their music. The result is solid, although it may have been more effective with shorter songs or a bit more intricate songwriting. The riffs are there though, and if you were listening to this blindly then you could easily mistake it for being from 1993. Although this demo isn’t groundbreaking in the slightest it shows potential and if Ithaqua can expand on the groundwork they’ve laid here with some fresh ideas then they could be capable of great things.

Summoning the Incarnations of the Worm

23. Revenge - Behold.Total.Rejection

When Revenge signed to Season of Mist there was a stark divide within their fan base. Many people supported their move to a larger label, while plenty of others felt apprehensive and feared the band might water down their distinctive sound. Those fears were unfounded though and Revenge has returned with a statement release, Behold.Total.Rejection, proclaiming their unwillingness to compromise their ideals and musical freedom. The sword is sharper than ever here and with it Revenge cuts down those who lacked faith in them. However, while this new album marks a continuation of the audial assault they’ve become known for it seems to fall a bit short in comparison its predecessors. There are still some standout songs to be found here, but overall the record feels somewhat stagnant and makes me want to put on their previous records instead.

Desolation Insignia

22. Malthusian - Below the Hengiform

Founded in 2012 this Irish group has put out demo in 2013 and now this EP, which showcases the talents they hold. Their sound is dissonant and the atmosphere is slathered on in the form of murky guitars churning out a constant stream of riffs seemingly travelling in a downward spiral. The instrumentation is technically sound without the slight sense of pretentiousness. They seem to draw from influences such as Gorguts and Ulcerate, but their style is more of a mix black and death metal. Below the Hengiform shows the band coming into their own style and promises of an interesting future.

Forms Become Vapour

Last edited by treghet; 01-09-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Elitist Picky Fuck

I just bought that Revenge album today. I'm looking forward to it. I've only heard a couple of their older jams.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM

This thread will be good to me. Definitely gonna check out Malthusian
Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

The artwork for that Malthusian EP is gorgeous.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Altars of Radness

21. Deathhammer - Evil Power

It wasn’t all that long ago that retro thrash was booming and clones of the ‘80s Bay Area style were popping up like groundhogs. Now the majority of those bands have lost most of their founding members, put out disappointing albums, or even broken up already. In the wake of the fractured scene there are a handful of bands left trying to survive, but there are also a few who never felt the tremors to begin with. Across the Atlantic in the cold north is Deathhammer, who takes inspiration from the old German thrash scene instead of the Bay Area. Now on their third full length they’ve shown no signs of slowing down and they’re certainly not disappointing any fans. The Norwegian duo certainly isn’t interested in innovation, but as on the previous albums they’ve written songs brimming with riffs meant for headbanging and pitting. Don’t mistake this for “pizza thrash” though; Deathhamer takes their music seriously. If you want a flashback to the raw intensity of the young Teutonic thrash scene look no further.

Belial's Curse

20. Deiphago - Into the Eye of Satan

For years now Deiphago has been releasing some of the most extreme black metal imaginable, but this new record is really like a punch to the face. Although Into the Eye of Satan doesn’t deviate from the formula they’ve laid out on previous albums the band sounds heavier than ever here. As with their previous record, Satan Alpha Omega, the band has opted for a clear production that suits their chaotic songwriting. There is a clean separation between the instruments, so it doesn’t sound like complete noise as their early albums do. Because of this Sidapa’s spastic guitar playing is actually somewhat comprehensible. However, some things haven’t changed with time, as there is no doubt in my mind that Deiphago still holds the record for the number of times Satan is mentioned in the lyrics. Costa Rica’s finest black metal export is at full force on this album and it’s certainly not meant for virgin ears.

Bloodbath of Genocide

19. Serpents Lair - Circumambulating the Stillborn

In the past few years there has been a new wave of Nordic black metal, primarily from Iceland and Norway, but little has come out of Denmark. Serpents Lair aims to put the country back on the map with their debut album. Much like the recent material from the Icelandic and Nidrosian scenes the music is atmospheric in nature and the lengthy songs develop slowly with a myriad of dissonant riffs and tempo changes. The ever evolving writing and variation in vocal styles keep the songs from becoming tedious to listen to. There are plenty of excellent moments on this LP, but at the same time Serpents Lair doesn’t differentiate themselves much from their peers. Circumambulating the Stillborn is a solid debut, but I’m more interested in seeing how they develop their style on their sophomore album.

Epistemology of Death

18. Ares Kingdom - The Unburiable Dead

Some bands fail to break through the barrier of the underground despite continuously releasing quality material. Ares Kingdom has a devoted fan base amongst those who still sift through bins at record stores and read zines, but they would have a much wider appeal if their name was better known. In the five years since their previous album, Incendiary, Chuck Keller has been meticulously crafting this newest opus, which he conceptualized before Incendiary had even been released. Lyrically The Unburiable Dead revolves around the theme of World War I, although it does not focus on specific events. Rather it evokes the grim imagery of the war and the consequences of it. While the lyrics put up the framework for the album, Keller’s guitar work lays down an unshakeable foundation through songwriting that builds momentum with an endless array of infectious riffs. It is his most focused playing to date and each detail is given the utmost attention, especially on the nearly eleven minute epic final track, “Stultifera Navis (Armistice and League).” The years spanning releases have not been wasted as Ares Kingdom remains in the top tier of the underground.

Ubique
Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 PM

that Malthusian EP is killer.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Elitist Picky Fuck

The Revenge album is pretty good and insane. Those caveman death vocals are the only part throws me. There are moments where they're awesome and moments where they're almost a parody of metal.

But it's good and if I'd have heard it in 2015 it would have had a shot at my top ten.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
that Malthusian EP is killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
The Revenge album is pretty good and insane. Those caveman death vocals are the only part throws me. There are moments where they're awesome and moments where they're almost a parody of metal.

But it's good and if I'd have heard it in 2015 it would have had a shot at my top ten.
Have you checked out their previous material? They definitely went a bit overboard with the pitch shifted vocals on this album.